• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’m absolutely in love with my Henry Big Boy model X in 38/357. With my 9mm can and 38s it’s one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    That is all I shoot.
    Henry 45/70 H010B
    Henty 30/30 H009B
    Henry 22 H004MS1
    Big horn Armory .500 S&W Magnum Model 89

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Resurrecting this thread. I am in the market for a lever gun. I had a Rossi 94 but it was junk, I was about to throw it in the trash at Delmarva but decided to sell it to them with the action jammed. I know what the issue was but after taking it apart and fixing twice getting two rounds down the tube then it jamming up again I had had enough. Cross pin kept coming loose even after peening it.

Anyway I am looking at the Marlin 1894 dark and the S&W 1854 as options. I want a threaded barrel and .44mag. Any thoughts from you guys? Not interested in Henry etc. Only the Marlin and the S&W.
    Curious why the Henry 44M "X" is out of the running?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Curious why the Henry 44M "X" is out of the running?
    Doesn't come with a top rail. I like the looks of the Marlin dark better but the Henry tube feature on the S&W 1854 is nice for unloading. Can't get the dark yet since it hasn't been released. The two tone of the S&W is nice too. IDK.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Doesn't come with a top rail. I like the looks of the Marlin dark better but the Henry tube feature on the S&W 1854 is nice for unloading. Can't get the dark yet since it hasn't been released. The two tone of the S&W is nice too. IDK.
    Henry sells a rail for it that bolts down and looks factory.

As do other aftermarket companies.

Gratuitous foot shot:

IMG_8442.jpeg

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I'll have to take a look at one. Three years got a sweet deal on a 1895SBL that came with a Leupold vx5 fire dot 1-5. That's been my go to deer rifle with Hornaday FTX bullets.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Resurrecting this thread. I am in the market for a lever gun. I had a Rossi 94 but it was junk, I was about to throw it in the trash at Delmarva but decided to sell it to them with the action jammed. I know what the issue was but after taking it apart and fixing twice getting two rounds down the tube then it jamming up again I had had enough. Cross pin kept coming loose even after peening it.

Anyway I am looking at the Marlin 1894 dark and the S&W 1854 as options. I want a threaded barrel and .44mag. Any thoughts from you guys? Not interested in Henry etc. Only the Marlin and the S&W.
    I'd go with the Marlin. S&W is still new and may have teething problems.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'd go with the Marlin. S&W is still new and may have teething problems.
    Yeah the Marlins are hard to find right now, I'm not even sure you can get one yet in .44 mag. I'm not super happy with the new stock on the Marlin but the handguard looks nice. We shall see. I'll post up what happens when something happens.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I picked up a Henry late last year, and definitely will be picking up the Aero Precision next year and maybe a .357 Marlin Dark if they ever start making them again. Lever actions are pretty fun, but ammo to feed these devils is EXPENSIVE!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom