• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to get into reloading for my handguns to start, then eventually my rifles. I would like suggestions on which easy to use all-in-one reloaders I should consider buying that will not bankrupt me. I have several different calibers I am looking to reload. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I suggest a Lee Classic Cast Turret because it can be set up as a single-stage for learning the basics of adjusting dies and individual operations, and then you can add sequential operations as your experience and confidence grows. Lee Precision, Inc.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I agree. A Lee press kit is is very good place to begin for equipment. To actually reload safe rounds? Read, read and read some more before you begin. Find a mentor while your're reading.

Last edited:

Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My father has been reloading 45 cartriges for years, but he does everything manually. I will certainly use his experience, and read as well. So far everyone says Lee. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For the money and end results, it's hard to beat Lee.

Start slow, cross-reference data, ask plenty of questions, and pay absolute attention to what your doing.

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    Another vote for Lee. Just buy one of the kits, comes with everything to get started, can be had for pretty cheap. They make good stuff.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Considering you are going to be loading for handguns to start off with, I recommend going with a progressive, specifically the Dillon RL 550 B or the RL 650. It took me about 2 hours, but I generated about 1000 rounds of .40S&W in that time frame.

Dillon also has a LIFETIME no B.S. warranty on all of their stuff. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from them, even when I call 15 minutes before they are about to call it a day on Saturday. Who knows, I may have spoken to the owner once or twice. I love my Dillon RL550B because I can run it as a progressive or as a single stage press.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I suggest a Lee Classic Cast Turret because it can be set up as a single-stage for learning the basics of adjusting dies and individual operations, and then you can add sequential operations as your experience and confidence grows. Lee Precision, Inc.

Couldn't agree more. This is the setup I use and I've had no problem with it at all. A turret and dies for each caliber and I can change from 9 mm to .45 very quickly.

But, get LOTS of manuals!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm not a big fan of reloading "kits". I bought the RCBS kit originally and have eventually replaced all the components except the press, some without ever having been used.

I would suggest after you read some manuals that you get with someone to give you instruction and let you use their equipment.

For instance I learned from someone using a balance type scale and since I knew I was going to do a lot of working up of loads watching him fiddle around with the counter weights made me realize right away that was not for me.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    The Lee Challenger Kit will do with a few additions but the Classic Cast turret is, as noted by several above, a first class piece of equipment .
    The Lee Pro Auto disc powder measure with the additional adjustable charge bar is also handy.
    I am not sure if you can get a kit with these two items included. You may be better off following K31's advice and getting separate pieces.
    DocAitch

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    Considering you are going to be loading for handguns to start off with, I recommend going with a progressive, specifically the Dillon RL 550 B or the RL 650. It took me about 2 hours, but I generated about 1000 rounds of .40S&W in that time frame.

Dillon also has a LIFETIME no B.S. warranty on all of their stuff. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from them, even when I call 15 minutes before they are about to call it a day on Saturday. Who knows, I may have spoken to the owner once or twice. I love my Dillon RL550B because I can run it as a progressive or as a single stage press.

+1 while not the cheapest option, arguably the best option for your multi caliber needs.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    +1 while not the cheapest option, arguably the best option for your multi caliber needs.

^^:thumbsup:

I do have to expand on the Dillon a bit. Due to the design of the reloader, you can have multiple die sets installed on multiple toolheads, so when you want to run a specific load for say .45ACP that uses X amount of X powder, you grab it off of the toolhead stand and install the toolhead and shell plate, but if you want to make match grade .45ACP loads you pull down the other toolhead that is calibrated for that load type. The whole process takes about 5 minutes to change calibers. The toolhead is designed to hold 3 dies and the powder measure. Once your dies are in the toolhead and locked into place with the settings you want, you are capable of maintaining accurate seating depths for your bullets, accurate powder throws, and the correct crimp (should it need it) for the caliber you are making. You will have to check your settings as you go through the process, but it won't be nearly as bad as if you are swapping individual dies out of other presses.

An image of the toolhead that goes on the RL 550B.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/3/pid/23605/RL_550_Toolhead

I am currently making .40S&W and .308WIN (match grade) on my Dillon due to having those 2 dies sets for the time being. I will getting more die sets, quick change kits, and caliber conversion kits as time goes on. Depending on the caliber you want to load for you are looking at about $175-$250 for the required items to do another caliber, dies (you can get Dillon dies and they are a tad pricey but worth it), a quick change kit (includes powder measure, toolhead, and toolhead stand with labels), and a caliber conversion kit (includes a shell plate holder, 3 station pins to keep the brass from falling out at each station, and a powder funnel for the powder measure).

Dillon is relatively pricey to start out with, but depending on the caliber you are loading you will make the initial cost of the setup within 2000-6000 rounds. I figure as of now I have recouped the cost of my setup (including the loading bench) right around the 2500 round mark off of just the .308 I have loaded. I have no idea how much I have saved on .40S&W because of the 550 but it is a pretty decent chunk of change.

In the link is a pic of the setup I am running for the time being. If you look at the upper left you can see the toolhead stand along with the powder measure and dies installed on the toolhead. There is an empty toolhead stand next ot that one because the other toolhead is on the press.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1896952&postcount=172

If you want to see a Dillon in action you can see them on youtube, or if you would like to see one in person you can check out mine.

Dillon RL550B in operation.

Dillon RL550B caliber conversion.

Dillon RL550B speed test.

Best of luck in your decision OP, ask questions, read books, and we'll be here to help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom