• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I was mounting a scope to my new 6.5 Grendel AR build and the bell is really close to the M-Lok rail. I'm talking a clearance of:
    Dollar Bill-yes
    Driver's License-probably
    Credit Card-no.
    There shouldn't be much barrel flex with that round and logic says the closer the scope is to the barrel, the better consistency at distance.
    Will this be OK?

Sorry for the poor picture and lack of a foot in the photo.

Attachments

• 20180905_145723.jpg
      20180905_145723.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 395

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    As long as the free floated handguard is solidly mounted, you should be ok. I have a few that are about DL clearance.

Q

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Shouldn't flex enough to take a hit, but what does that do for your cheek weld?
    Most AR mounts put the scope line about 2.6" above the bore line, the benefits of having a shorter HOB measurement are kinda pointless if you have to lay your ear on the stock, or tilt it to see through the scope.

Shouldn't flex enough to take a hit, but what does that do for your cheek weld?
    Most AR mounts put the scope line about 2.6" above the bore line, the benefits of having a shorter HOB measurement are kinda pointless if you have to lay your ear on the stock, or tilt it to see through the scope.

Standard A2 stock and my cheek weld is perfect. I will be making zero adjustments to the comb. Once I play with it in prone, I might extend the stock to increase the LOP by 1/2-3/4"

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You should be able to tell us after the first shot from it.

If you look something like this:

P1010368.JPG

Then you need a little more space between your forehead and the scope aperture.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One reason I went with a the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my 6.8 SPC II build was so I could mount it as low as I wanted without having the objective bell hit the rail. I am pretty sure the 50mm model would have hit.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One thing that could become an issue is heat mirage, but if you're not spending an excessive amount of time on the range (especially w/out shade) then it may not be an issue you'll notice.

I have about .135" clearance between barrel and bell on the .260, and mirage becomes apparent if I run a few quick strings, or shooting in direct sunlight for a few hours at a time. Dial the magnification back some, and it'll help...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The one concern I have is the front scope ring is attached to your front rail and not your receiver rail. Bridging those two plains can play hell on any sight, especially a telescopic sight. It looks like you have room on the upper receiver to move it back. I would strongly recommend moving that front ring back onto the receiver body.

The one concern I have is the front scope ring is attached to your front rail and not your receiver rail. Bridging those two plains can play hell on any sight, especially a telescopic sight. It looks like you have room on the upper receiver to move it back. I would strongly recommend moving that front ring back onto the receiver body.

Fixed on Friday.
    Good eye ya old fart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom