• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    086b2f33d7fb8a39f369e72705e8a68f.jpg

Got this 8 point in West River South Dakota on Saturday.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I'd been hunting the feeder at my buddies since Sunday. The deer have been off and not on the normal patterns. passed on a 6 Sunday which I started regretting Monday afternoon. When they do come around the does are so damn spooky I can't get a shot. Almost had a mature doe in Monday evening and that one squirrel than can't eat the corn on the ground. He runs up the tree and dives on the hanging feeder and sets it swinging and deer freak and go everywhere and won't come back. The wind swirls and they smell me.

Yesterday afternoon I said I'm done with this area and I'm heading to the point. An area with acorns, thick woods and a bend in the Antietam creek on the farm. Its 3/4 of a mile back there and no one is ever back there unless hunting, so the deer love it. Everything appeared slow, at first. Then a doe bust out of the thick and cut to my right. Then grunt and a 4 point was on her tail. They hook off and back up into the thick. twenty minutes later the doe is back running on my right and an 8 point hot on her trail. They pass at 20 yards but no shots with the XBow as too many sticks in that area and he's not stopping in any of my lanes. back over the hill and they are gone.

Then a spike scent trails them. lots of shots that I don't want. Then 1/2 hour before dark the original 4 comes back down scent trailing too. I guess the 8 busted his azz off the doe and he wants back on the action. He gave me a shot and my wife wants me to do some other things before rifle season starts so I dropped him. Bow season is over 'til January for me.

So, my buddy is coming home from work, I'm calling him my Uber! :) He will bring the farm truck down the lane to get me and the deer. At 50 a 3/4 mile drag is no fun and the hills might leave me dead. So how do you repay your Uber for all their hard work?

You somehow get a big blood clot on your left shoulder blade while tossing the deer in the truck and sit in the passenger seat. Then you have him stop to pick up your daughter on the way out and move to the center and make sure it is thoroughly rubbed in. :innocent0

Attachments

• 11-21-17.jpg
      11-21-17.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 267

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    They're starting to move after being locked up for a awhile, seen another big one right before this guy showed up so settled for the easy (cheap) one. They were moving late this morning still peddling around out there in full daylight. Needs to be a little more colder.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    View attachment 218936 Pretty cheap stag following some hinds around yet. Was able to get a nice bow-shot in between some larger pines.

Very nice! I’ve been trying for two years in Nanticoke to get a Sika. Been thinking I need waders and try fishing bay one of these years (probably going to try Nanticoke again this year).

If you are willing to share, I might pick your brain in a few weeks on how to go after Sika.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Very nice! I’ve been trying for two years in Nanticoke to get a Sika. Been thinking I need waders and try fishing bay one of these years (probably going to try Nanticoke again this year).

If you are willing to share, I might pick your brain in a few weeks on how to go after Sika.

Just let me know, Ill be hunting all this upcoming week. We can meet at Greg and Millie's in Vienna.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My 18 year old got his first deer first time in the stand this year. He paid his dues last 2 years going out with me .
    a30db7b1e64a20e4eb5a304deb104061.jpg

7906f57ed72d825edf4638e875e1f3de.jpg

e202cca7779a0b02bc102c7e5d8e1bb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Finally, i got a deer today!

This has been my worst year to date, I've done nothing but screw up this season. Hopefully its uphill from here

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

This has been my worst year to date, I've done nothing but screw up this season. Hopefully its uphill from here

Congrats! Always good to hear about getting back on track.

I'm heading out tomorrow early AM to dare any of the bucks that have constantly been just out of bow range this season to show themselves again. I promise they will catch a slug in the brachial plexus post haste :D

Continued good luck to you :thumbsup:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I was wondering what happened to you. I thought maybe you were being quiet with your hunting experience this year.

The first one is the hardest. Now go get that freezer filled.... :D

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thanks guys. Luckily my son shot two deer and my neighbor felt bad for me and gave me a deer so i have a good start on filling the freezer :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom