• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Shotgun... Balcony... 2 shots in the air...

Uncle Joe B Crazy has approved this message.

:D

Seriously, though... How "sheeply" ARE Marylanders, anyway??

This will get reported as an authoritative and "appropriate" view, and we'll have to fight that much harder to deprogram them.

The good news is, we really do outnumber the middle-of-the-roaders, and that's all we have to convince at this point.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Shotgun... Balcony... 2 shots in the air...

Uncle Joe B Crazy has approved this message.

:D

Seriously, though... How "sheeply" ARE Marylanders, anyway??

This will get reported as an authoritative and "appropriate" view, and we'll have to fight that much harder to deprogram them.

The good news is, we really do outnumber the middle-of-the-roaders, and that's all we have to convince at this point.

Was just wondering if anybody is available to go there and report back to see what bs he have under his sleeve.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Many politicians, members of the gun control crowd in particular, totally fail to grasp the concept of deterrence.

Restraining order against offender != deterrence
    Weakly enforced laws with light prison sentences != deterrence

Gun pointed at offender = deterrence

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Many politicians, members of the gun control crowd in particular, totally fail to grasp the concept of deterrence.

Restraining order against offender != deterrence
    Weakly enforced laws with light prison sentences != deterrence

Gun pointed at offender = deterrence

We will see how many criminals will be deterred from buying guns after oct 1. Lol

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Domestic violence is a huge problem but in actuality most people don't really get hurt. In DC its usually a push, a smack, a threat, or a kick with very little to no physical injury. Please don't misunderstand that to say that there are not serious victims out there.

My impression is that the real government issue with DV is the amount of money spent. We keep free 911 phones in out patrol cars, we (the gov) pay for the restraining orders to be processed, multile officers time on scene then processing then court, the advocacy programs and shelters subsidized by the government, Judges, civilian witnesses, social workers and CFSA. Each one of the above groups is being paid to deal with the same domestic violence incident, that's a crap ton of money.

The real issue with DV isn't arming victims the real issue has nothing to do with guns. In situations like this guns are a temporary band aid that honestly might lead to more problems (and you'll probably never hear me say that again). It's a sociological issue that needs to be addressed. Is it maturity? A cultural thing? An economic thing?

I used to deal with DV A LOT!!! Thankfully not so much anymore. What I find in is that in lower income areas pride is held to an insanely high regard. When someone's pride is hurt they end up lashing out physically. Who better than to hurt your pride but the one who you care most for?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    mpdc4511 please take care in those DV contacts. Second most dangerous call for LEOs. What a headache too.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    http://wtop.com/46/3371952/Gansler-to-talk-about-domestic-violence-prevention

delete if dupe.

what he's going to tell every victim? dial 911 hopefully they will response before they get beaten to pulp? or better yet.. apply for restraining order which we know its not going to work most of the time. :sad20:

surely wont help if you try to buy a handgun also with the current wait time and new laws coming on oct 1.

Just a display of "I care". I hope someone asks him about sb281 that he's in full support of. I heard him on WCBM's lawyer show one Saturday right after the bill passed. I was shouting at my radio to that smug little bastard.

I don't know if anyone else here has seen that he's sometimes on the Redskins Comcast pre-game show with Chic Hernandez. Why he's a guest in that forum, I don't know.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Domestic violence is a huge problem but in actuality most people don't really get hurt. In DC its usually a push, a smack, a threat, or a kick with very little to no physical injury. Please don't misunderstand that to say that there are not serious victims out there.

My impression is that the real government issue with DV is the amount of money spent. We keep free 911 phones in out patrol cars, we (the gov) pay for the restraining orders to be processed, multile officers time on scene then processing then court, the advocacy programs and shelters subsidized by the government, Judges, civilian witnesses, social workers and CFSA. Each one of the above groups is being paid to deal with the same domestic violence incident, that's a crap ton of money.

The real issue with DV isn't arming victims the real issue has nothing to do with guns. In situations like this guns are a temporary band aid that honestly might lead to more problems (and you'll probably never hear me say that again). It's a sociological issue that needs to be addressed. Is it maturity? A cultural thing? An economic thing?

I used to deal with DV A LOT!!! Thankfully not so much anymore. What I find in is that in lower income areas pride is held to an insanely high regard. When someone's pride is hurt they end up lashing out physically. Who better than to hurt your pride but the one who you care most for?

Agree, it's that whole, ' you be disrespectin' me' concept.....

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I guess my point of my previous comment wasn't to "impart knowledge" or my "theories" but to say that anything with DV prevention is a great cost effective move from a government stand point.

Hopefully if these preventative measures end up being a success the money saved can go towards an actual worth cause instead of paying people to sit in a room drinking flavored water figuring out ways to rasie my DAMN TAXES (Stupid MoCo just raised my taxes).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I guess my point of my previous comment wasn't to "impart knowledge" or my "theories" but to say that anything with DV prevention is a great cost effective move from a government stand point.

Hopefully if these preventative measures end up being a success the money saved can go towards an actual worth cause instead of paying people to sit in a room drinking flavored water figuring out ways to rasie my DAMN TAXES (Stupid MoCo just raised my taxes).

you may have hit the point!! since you are in moCo. spy for us! lol

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    The really sad part of some (most?) DV's is the couple who was involved kicking each others butt end up together again after released from jail and the cycle starts over. Should be a law that if a 2nd DV occurs with the same people, they are informed that any future calls will be responded to, however, they will be presented with a bill for the services and have 90 days to pay it or be arrested for non payment.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The really sad part of some (most?) DV's is the couple who was involved kicking each others butt end up together again after released from jail and the cycle starts over. Should be a law that if a 2nd DV occurs with the same people, they are informed that any future calls will be responded to, however, they will be presented with a bill for the services and have 90 days to pay it or be arrested for non payment.

I like your idea to be honest but I'll counter with this.

The ACLU would (and should) have a field day with that type of thinking stating that if imposed into law it would target the poor and have them scared to call the police due to not being able to pay for any services rendered by the police.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I think you people are a little too dismissive of the deterrent power of a restraining order.

Personally, I HATE paper cuts, and will do whatever I can to avoid them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom