16" 300 BLK barrel with pistol length gas system?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I have 7.5" and 10.5" 300 BLK uppers for my AR pistol. After shooting both I hate the 10.5". Hate might be a strong word, maybe it would be great if I went the SBR route but it's not something I want to do right now. So I'm thinking of just buying a 16" barrel for it and building it out as a rifle with it's own dedicated lower.

While looking at barrels I've noticed some have pistol length gas systems which seemed odd to me considering I've never seen that on any other caliber for a 16" barrel. After searching here a bit I can find information about pistol length gas systems being the best option for 300 BLK, but it's all talking about shorter barrels.

Would a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system work or am I better off getting one with a carbine length gas system?

Gas tubes are cheap so I have no problem buying another one, but if there's a good reason to consider a pistol length system on a 16" barrel for this caliber I want to know it.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Do you plan to shoot subs? If so it will likely have cycling problems with carbine gas with subs.

And if you don't shoot subs, you're missing some of the fun.

I can't definitively say no. While I don't plan to suppress it I do plan to suppress the 7.5" pistol and I'm more likely to buy or reload one specific load instead of multiples.

So pistol length on any size 300 BLK barrel is the way to go if I may shoot subs?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I can't definitively say no. While I don't plan to suppress it I do plan to suppress the 7.5" pistol and I'm more likely to buy or reload one specific load instead of multiples.

So pistol length on any size 300 BLK barrel is the way to go if I may shoot subs?

Yes, Pistol Gas is the way to go for a .300 all the time.

I can tune a .300 carbine gas to run on subs but it takes a full relaibility job, port work, and a tubb .300 flatwore spring.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Why the hate for 10.5"? They say .300 doesn't really benefit much past 9" of barrel anyway.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Why the hate for 10.5"?

It just doesn’t seem as fun to shoot as the 7.5”. I bought it thinking that it would be the perfect length to achieve a certain look when suppressed. It looks exactly as I planned with the KX3 muzzle device, works fine, but by the time I suppress it it will reach nearly carbine lengths. It’s also front heavy and I’m a terrible judge of measurements when trying to envision how something will look, so it seemed like a good middle ground for length at the time.

I was thinking ~$100 for a longer barrel and turning it into an carbine would balance out the weight. I see myself reaching for the 7.5” in every situation. It’s the perfect size for home defense and fun as hell at the range. The way my house is laid out the 10.5” would have to be lowered to navigate my hallway into/out of any room.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It just doesn’t seem as fun to shoot as the 7.5”. I bought it thinking that it would be the perfect length to achieve a certain look when suppressed. It looks exactly as I planned with the KX3 muzzle device, works fine, but by the time I suppress it it will reach nearly carbine lengths. It’s also front heavy and I’m a terrible judge of measurements when trying to envision how something will look, so it seemed like a good middle ground for length at the time.

I was thinking ~$100 for a longer barrel and turning it into an carbine would balance out the weight. I see myself reaching for the 7.5” in every situation. It’s the perfect size for home defense and fun as hell at the range. The way my house is laid out the 10.5” would have to be lowered to navigate my hallway into/out of any room.

Well why don't you repurpose it?

Put a scope on it and turn it into a quiet 220gr subsonic lead slinger. Leave the 7.5" for up close work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom