• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    I have a two unit property in Baltimore City. One tenant and her boyfriend had been harassing the other. Fast forward to a couple months later we were able to evict the harassing tenant. Now the other tenant says that she is still being harassed. I told her call the police, but she said all they do is make a note of it. I also mentioned filing for a restraining order, but she was told that because the other prior tenant has family on the street that she cannot obtain one.

I do remember being there for the eviction and the tenant was talking about shooting up the place. Police had already been called, but no reports were filled out at all. They just made her leave.

Very interesting how this plays out. I have called about trespassers before and I did not get any sort of paperwork.

What can be done?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have a two unit property in Baltimore City. One tenant and her boyfriend had been harassing the other. Fast forward to a couple months later we were able to evict the harassing tenant. Now the other tenant says that she is still being harassed. I told her call the police, but she said all they do is make a note of it. I also mentioned filing for a restraining order, but she was told that because the other prior tenant has family on the street that she cannot obtain one.

I do remember being there for the eviction and the tenant was talking about shooting up the place. Police had already been called, but no reports were filled out at all. They just made her leave.

Very interesting how this plays out. I have called about trespassers before and I did not get any sort of paperwork.

What can be done?
    Your tenant needs to go to the commissioners office and file for a peace order. A peace order can be granted whether the person has family on the street or not. That's just nonsense.

Your tenant can also file criminal charges for harassment, stalking, assault, or anything else that may have occurred by going to the commissioners office.

I would not expect the police to do much in this situation absent a peace order or pending criminal charges filed with the commissioner.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You are already more involved in this than you need or want to be. Direct her to the police and courthouse and that's all. And hope she moves out and takes her drama with her.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I have nothing to offer other than a similar story. I had a tenant harassing a tenant. There were restraining orders filed on both sides. I eventually got one out. About 2K in legal fees and 1.5K in damages. Then the harassed tenant moved out shortly thereafter. Police were called and the harassing tenants family was involved too. I also had to go to court. It just sucks. Sell and get out. I am working on selling my Baltimore city rental property. If yhou are alandlord in Baltimore City you are a despicable person - according to the courts. When no one wants to rent their property and the only places affordable are dumps, you have the city and courts to blame. They think making you register your properties and doing lead inspections for tenants is going to make a better environment and keep the prices low, they are mistaken. The cost of the bureaucracy is passed to the tenant.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    Your tenant needs to go to the commissioners office and file for a peace order. A peace order can be granted whether the person has family on the street or not. That's just nonsense.

Your tenant can also file criminal charges for harassment, stalking, assault, or anything else that may have occurred by going to the commissioners office.

I would not expect the police to do much in this situation absent a peace order or pending criminal charges filed with the commissioner.

Thanks for that information I will direct her to the commissioners office and make sure she inquires about a peace order.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    You are already more involved in this than you need or want to be. Direct her to the police and courthouse and that's all. And hope she moves out and takes her drama with her.

Exactly! Spending too many man hours on this. I hate that the situation is happening for the tenant.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    I have nothing to offer other than a similar story. I had a tenant harassing a tenant. There were restraining orders filed on both sides. I eventually got one out. About 2K in legal fees and 1.5K in damages. Then the harassed tenant moved out shortly thereafter. Police were called and the harassing tenants family was involved too. I also had to go to court. It just sucks. Sell and get out. I am working on selling my Baltimore city rental property. If yhou are alandlord in Baltimore City you are a despicable person - according to the courts. When no one wants to rent their property and the only places affordable are dumps, you have the city and courts to blame. They think making you register your properties and doing lead inspections for tenants is going to make a better environment and keep the prices low, they are mistaken. The cost of the bureaucracy is passed to the tenant.

Agreed! Baltimore City is the worst to deal with all the way around. Where is your property located? If in a certain area, I may know of someone who wants to buy. I used to manage 100+ units, but through headache after headache I starting dropping them.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Since it is your property, you can give them a stay away notice. You have to hand it personally to them and keep a copy. Or have your agent do it. It will only apply to property, but will allow you to more effectively pursue trespassing charges. If you want to keep the current tenant and rent the other unit, you should be involved. I have found these things to be difficult when past tenants are interfering and current tenants are unhappy/complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom