• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Maybe my 5.56 with a 5.5" barrel that would keyhole at 50yds was the exception. I'm sure yours is sub moa out to 500yds...

From my personal experience I would say you are so wrong. So there...

Why are target rifles all in the 18"-24" range if barrel length has no impact on accuracy? :confused:

You are using the wrong bullet weight and or rifling twist.

They use longer barrels for velocity which minimizes other factors ( drop and wind). If you lock a 5.5" ar in a vise it'll be just about as accurate as a 16" barrel. Of course if you screw up and don't stabilize your bullet you'll have poor accuracy.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

They use longer barrels for velocity which minimizes other factors ( drop and wind). If you lock a 5.5" ar in a vise it'll be just about as accurate as a 16" barrel. Of course if you screw up and don't stabilize your bullet you'll have poor accuracy.

Powder burn for a 5.56 could also get inconsistent out of a very short barrel compared to a 16". Anyone check standard deviation of a common load between short barrels and long barrels?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

You're right! Those 200gr bullets I've been shooting out of my AR are way too heavy for a 5" barrel. Thanks for the clarification.

You go ahead and test your hypothesis. Share your results of accuracy with a 5" vs a 16".

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Maybe a telescopic stock on the end of a buffer tube that is on a law tactical folder.

Like this stock plus a2 tube + law tactical folder.
    https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...fmann-tactical-elf-ultralight-aluminum-stock/

Has ATF ever said there is as maximum LOP they will accept?

I need to draw up a LOP extender for carbine buffer tubes. It would basically copy the tube profile and track for the pin, with a ultra-low clearance bolt (with drain hole) in the buffer tube (drain hole bored out for bolt) interfacing with a metal nut embedded in the 3d printed extension. Then, you'd pull the stock's lever out, instead of removing the stock from the tube you'd slide it to the extension, and it would give you another 1-2" LOP for really tall shooters or awkward positions.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Has ATF ever said there is as maximum LOP they will accept?

I need to draw up a LOP extender for carbine buffer tubes. It would basically copy the tube profile and track for the pin, with a ultra-low clearance bolt (with drain hole) in the buffer tube (drain hole bored out for bolt) interfacing with a metal nut embedded in the 3d printed extension. Then, you'd pull the stock's lever out, instead of removing the stock from the tube you'd slide it to the extension, and it would give you another 1-2" LOP for really tall shooters or awkward positions.

This guy got his P90 approved with his extended stock. So I think anything is fine.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=212735

Just wish there were more off the shelf options available for non-AR platforms.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The latest attempt at brace regulation did not ban braces. It just attempted to define the point at which a brace was no longer a brace and became a stock. Yes, some braces will be considered stocks, but not all braces.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    For the low fee of $50, I’ll take them off of your hands so you are not a felon. If it gets overturned, I’ll sell them to back for another $50. Fees may be negotiable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom