• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankAR15

Feb 1, 2008
    Anne Arundel Co.
    What options would you have if you have an AR pistol with a 5.5” barrel (18.75”-23.5”) and braces are banned?
    From my understanding it would be to small to make SBR in MD?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Go brace-less like the early days of AR pistols. A rubber crutch tip is not a stock.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What options would you have if you have an AR pistol with a 5.5” barrel (18.75”-23.5”) and braces are banned?
    From my understanding it would be to small to make SBR in MD?

5.5" barreled ARs are obnoxious and not accurate. Get a 10.5" 300BLK.

>29" OAL or something for SBR in MD. You could pin and weld a muzzle thing to get the length. Until they ban braces go the pistol route and even if they ban braces you can still have the pistol sans brace.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    5.5" barreled ARs are obnoxious and not accurate. Get a 10.5" 300BLK.

>29" OAL or something for SBR in MD. You could pin and weld a muzzle thing to get the length. Until they ban braces go the pistol route and even if they ban braces you can still have the pistol sans brace.

Tell that to my 5" 9mm AR pistol that shoots 4" groups at 100 yds.:lol:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's 9mm out of a normal length barrel, for a pistol. The 5.5" barrel on a 556 is just a fireball of unused powder going 2X faster with no time to stabilize. YMMV

Yeah I know. Just being a contrarian. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Stop clowing around and get back to resting up.....I think you probably owe me a lunch, or hug, or something....

I'm all better now(contrary to popular opinion).
    Lunch and hugs coming your way soon. :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    yank the brace, deal with the tube temporarily, send some loot to your 2A group du jour, and fight to get them un-banned. Before the Sig brace there were "cheek rests" and before that foam pads, people have been shouldering buffer tubes for many years before braces. Given a few recent cases challenging agencies trying to make law, our chances are good to get a favorable ruling

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This is so wrong. There is almost no accuracy difference due to barrel length. Only really difference is going to be velocity to account for, and a smaller sight radius.

Maybe my 5.56 with a 5.5" barrel that would keyhole at 50yds was the exception. I'm sure yours is sub moa out to 500yds...

From my personal experience I would say you are so wrong. So there...

Why are target rifles all in the 18"-24" range if barrel length has no impact on accuracy? :confused:

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    You need barrel length to get velocity which aids in accuracy (and range.) fred55

Edit: longer barrel length also has an effect on bullet spin which aids accuracy.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bc...blackout-pistol-length-gas-system-w-1-8-twist

Could barrel-swap for a little over a hundo or upgrade for a fancy barrel for $2-300. That's if you feel like sbr'ing it. Otherwise, either yank the brace and set it somewhere where constructive intent can't be argued, or go on with life knowing they don't have the resources to track down everyone that bought a brace.

or the old "cheek riser", ATF legal before braces made them obsolete.

img_3435_1.jpg

Then there is the whole "we will not comply" option

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom