• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Bumping an old thread, but is .327 dead? I can only find it in stock at Midway and that was one kind.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    That's the issue for me. I don't reload. I may have to if I want this round.
    Sadly, unless ammo really comes back, that may be the only way it is viable. Even 5 to 10yrs ago 327mag ammo wasn't that plentiful.

However, as it will take 32L or 32mag, that opens up options some.

If 327 comes back and you can buy a case of it, that will last many people a long time.

It is a great round. However, just as they sold the 32mag as a 38 killer they did that with the 327 vs the 357 and neither argument went well.

I have a SP101 in 327 which I think may be the ideal "kit" gun today. Small, holds an extra round and with it being able to shoot 3 (maybe 4 with 32acp thrown in) different levels of ammo it gives one a lot of options.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The performance level has been known ever since Elmer Keith combined 2400 and .32-20 SAA . Not said in a bad way, rather offered as validation for the .327 .

The marketing hitch was that the ( all the way full powered factory load) .327 was TOO powerful . The non- enthusiast niche for a modern .32 revolver is predominantly " nearly the effectiveness of .38 Spl , but with less recoil ". But the full boogie .327 has More recoil than .38 +P .

.32 fans can understand the advantages of flat trajectory combined with good sectional density , but for general public the " small caliber actually Better than larger caliber " thing was too counter intuitive .

The tragic miscalculation was standardizing the .32Mag too mild . It was a new ctg, only offered in reasonably strong guns, and the SAAMI Spec could have just as easily been another 3 - 5 k psi more . Bumping .32 Mag an additional 100- 150 fps ( aka making actual real world velocities reasonably close to Advertised velocity) would have put it dab into that Sweet Spot .

No , it wouldn't have replaced the .38 spl , but the goal would have been pre- WWII market penetration . ie Before WWII , S&W and Colt each had several revolvers offered in both .38 Spl and .32-20 aka .32WCF . The sales porportions went as much as 30/ 70 split .
    Speaking of Elmer Keith, I have a 1955 first edition printing of "Sixguns by Keith" that was my Dad's - if it still had the dust cover and wasn't so tattered it would be collectible. Even with that book being 68 years old, there's still some great information in it - some of the powders Elmer used are obsolete, but many of the others - Bullseye, Unique and 2400 - are still used. I have all three on my reloading bench.

You bring up another interesting point though, and that's the difference between what reloaders can do with a cartridge vs what winds up being standard practice for ammo manufacturers.

Yet a third point you brought up is the idea that a smaller caliber can be superior to larger, which is indeed counterintuitive to conventional thinking. Anecdotally when I think back, my Dad was very fond of the 357 magnum, and even though he reloaded and shot larger calibers such as 45 colt, 41 magnum and 44 magnum, it sticks in my mind that he shot his 357s a good bit more.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    .327 ammo was more expensive than .357 even before the panic. And the Ruger revolvers have all attained collector status with prices going for hundreds over MSRP. So it's a good idea, but it'll cost you.

As hard as it is for me to grasp, a rather wealthy (make that filthy rich) neighbor actually told a group of us “the extra cost” is why he chose the .327 after moving to NC (from, wait for it, NYC :-/

That and, “it’s uniqueness.”

Doesn't matter the poor sob couldn’t hit a B27 closeup because every time I pass and chat with him a minute he complains about not being able to find ammo.

Looking at big picture that’s likely a blessing (I haven’t gone near him when any type of sharps let alone guns are present since he managed to negligent discharge a round up into the atmosphere in front of a bunch of us - but legalizing marihuana being “harmless” is a whole nuther thread… )

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As hard as it is for me to grasp, a rather wealthy (make that filthy rich) neighbor actually told a group of us “the extra cost” is why he chose the .327 after moving to NC (from, wait for it, NYC :-/

That and, “it’s uniqueness.”

Doesn't matter the poor sob couldn’t hit a B27 closeup because every time I pass and chat with him a minute he complains about not being able to find ammo.

Looking at big picture that’s likely a blessing (I haven’t gone near him when any type of sharps let alone guns are present since he managed to negligent discharge a round up into the atmosphere in front of a bunch of us - but legalizing marihuana being “harmless” is a whole nuther thread… )
    That reminds me of this - just because it's different doesn't mean it's better or more useful.

ab5bmgL_460s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom