• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Have any of you used the factory seconds from Midway ? Got some .45 230 HP and was curious if anyone has used them before or know what brand they use. Link shows .34 a piece , I got them for .20 a piece

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I used a bunch of the hornady amax factory seconds from midway. Only thing diffrent about them that I could tell was the tips were slightly discolored.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Post a pic and somebody can likely identify what brand you have.

Midway clears a lot of manufacturer seconds. I've seen them sell Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Berry seconds, and there have likely been others I don't recall. I've not known Midway to push any junk.

Sometimes they will name bullets to help distinguish what they are. I bought some of what were Hornady SST seconds a few years back as an example. Midway almost certainly couldn't use the Hornady SST tradename, so they called them "Big Game". Wish I'd bought more of them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I picked some up too. Looking at the picture they are Hornady XTPs. I'll confirm once they show.

I have some of their seconds, but as of yet, not loaded any in any of the calibers.

.224" 77gr MHPBT and some 165gr tipped .308 (likely SST, though I don't happen to have any in that weight to confirm).

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I picked some up too. Looking at the picture they are Hornady XTPs. I'll confirm once they show.

I have some of their seconds, but as of yet, not loaded any in any of the calibers.

.224" 77gr MHPBT and some 165gr tipped .308 (likely SST, though I don't happen to have any in that weight to confirm).

I have some Hornady SST. My .308 loves those in 150 gr. Have to try the 165 next.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    434f416678af461e9d5aed6a047b569f.jpg

c67013bdf928e52fdfbc5fcf0a3cc117.jpg

Only checked a handful but they weighed fine. Not sure if they are Hornady or not

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have some .308 175 seconds, that look, load, and shoot like Sierra Match Kings.

And they worked well out to 1000 yards, so I think they are good to go.

Cowboy T

Not sure what those are, but they look like standard JHP's, so I'd just go ahead and load 'em with 230gr bullet info and have fun.

I like MidwayUSA factory seconds, too. You can get some good deals on 'em. Sometimes they're MatchKings, sometimes they're Hornady SST's, sometimes they're A-MAX's, ELD's, and so on.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks kinda like 230gr XTP. I’d need to look closer with one side by side. I think my order gets here Friday.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    The 220g factory seconds look just like hornady ELDX, some with a slightly discolored tip and some with very slight tip bends. Perfect for subsonic 300bo

IMG_0476.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Finally got mine. USPS managed to lose them for a bit. Box split open in the packaging. Same thing happened when I got some Speer SP 30 carbine bullets from Midway a couple months ago. Though this time the over packaging was done much better, so only spilled in the box.

The 30 carbine a bunch had leaked out in shipping. So I ended up with about with about 450 out of 500. Midway did credit me 20% off for the lost carbine bullets. So that’s something.

They really either need to be using thicker cardboard for their bullet bulk packaging or to tape the whole box like most bullet shippers do who ship bulk bullets.

Anyway, I digress.

99.9% sure they are Hornady 230gr XTP. They are identical ogives, OAL and weights. And by appearance same size cavity and petal cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom