• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Uh, quite sure. A stripped lower is technically an AR, and without an HBAR sold attached to it, it would not qualify as an HBAR to exempt it from regulation.

Either that or every gun dealer in the state hates me and wants me to go through the whole regulated firearm process for them.

Ummm NO.

5-101(n) Handgun - firearm with a barrel of less than 16"

No barrel = No handgun.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Stripped lowers are regulated and have to be registered.

LMAO... Sure... Where are they regulated. Same brain dead argument every time.

You won't find an FFL who will transfer one without the regulated paperwork.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I just purchased 2 stripped Units and had to complete the Federal Papers and the MSP papers. My understanding is that I can build one on a pistol platform and one as a Retro M5. I have discovered that there are a few companies that will not ship the " mid uppers", to A Maryland resident. Why is that if both are registered?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I just purchased 2 stripped Units and had to complete the Federal Papers and the MSP papers. My understanding is that I can build one on a pistol platform and one as a Retro M5. I have discovered that there are a few companies that will not ship the " mid uppers", to A Maryland resident. Why is that if both are registered?

If you just purchased lowers, you can’t build them into a non-HBAR AR legally in MD.
    You could build an AR pistol without an HBAR barrel however.
    Some companies don’t want to bother with Maryland’s confusing dumb ass laws so they err on the side of caution and won’t ship here (or only a limited amount of items)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    As a gun owner and supporter of everyone's rights, I could not agree more on the stupid confusing laws. Guess my build plans ( rifle) just changed. Damn it.

SUMB44

Jul 23, 2020
    Southern Maryland
    Quick follow up for a noob, I've been attempting to follow the conversation in this thread, it's a bit confusing and mostly dated 2013...

I recently purchased a complete upper from PSA online and they are shipping it directly to me as it is "unregulated". Should I attempt to reverse or otherwise prevent delivery or is it legal to receive it such a manner?

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Quick follow up for a noob, I've been attempting to follow the conversation in this thread, it's a bit confusing and mostly dated 2013...

I recently purchased a complete upper from PSA online and they are shipping it directly to me as it is "unregulated". Should I attempt to reverse or otherwise prevent delivery or is it legal to receive it such a manner?

If it's just a complete upper, no FFL needed.

Must be HBAR if installing a >=16inch barrel with a post 2013 lower.

Last edited:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

They would not ship you a 100% lower without an ffl so it is just an upper and that is legal. Whether or not you can legally put it on a lower depends on if it is an hbar upper or you have a pre 2013 registered lower.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA

If you're building a rifle and installing to a post 2013 lower, it should be HBAR (and at least 16 inches). If building a pistol, no need to be HBAR.

Would be more helpful if you can give details to what exactly you ordered from PSA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is legal to recieve .

Wether it's legal to assemble into a firearm is a seperate discussion , with a very convoluted Flowchart .

But taking a stab at most likely scenario :

Does this involve a build involving a semiautomatic centerfire rifle in .223/ 5.56 , utilizing a post '13 Lower ? If so . you must have an HBAR bbl . Is the particular Upper you ordered an HBAR ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Taking delivery of any upper is legal.

What lower you put it on is where it gets funky to
    ^^^This

Perfectly legal to buy non Hbar uppers in Md.
    You can even put one on a post 2013 lower if you are out of state. The Hbar law only applies within Md state boundaries.

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    If your psa upper is 16" and non hbar then throw a pistol brace on it and it will no longer classified as a rifle.

Similar to how the brace changes a sbr to a pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom