Old April 7th, 2021, 02:41 PM #1501
-----

-----

It's at least an unwritten rule for common courtesy. Some forums do have a written rule about it though - not sure if this one does or not. Anyway, some people spend huge amounts of time hunting down obscure auctions and it sucks when someone else then posts a link to it on a public forum. In this case, I don't think that's an issue. There's also the argument that you're unwittingly providing advertisement for that auction.

As to the rifle, yeah it's stupid-looking and an abomination. But the original stocks are absolutely unobtanium, and barrels only slightly less so. There are some really good repro stocks made by a guy (Joseph Scott) but I don't know if he's still making them. So it may have been the only option this guy had and he took it too far
somd_mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2021, 11:06 PM #1502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
Must be super unwritten... never heard that (but bear in mind, I'm just a lowly 13er) and have seen many many links to live auctions. What's the concern?
I agree.

I donít want to see someoneís constant links to the crap they are selling on auction sites every week. Iím sure if someone started doing that here, they would be asked to stop by a moderator. There is a reason there is a limit on the number of classified ads a member can run

It makes sense to not post a link to an auction youíre bidding on as it would draw attention of other bidders. Sometimes someone might want to ask the members if an online gun auction is selling a gun that is rare, or ask why an auction for a gun is going for a crazy high price.

Thankfully I donít think we will have to worry about a bidding war breaking out over this Johnson monstrosity.
mvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2021, 09:45 AM #1503
C&R Whisperer

C&R Whisperer

I'll break the unwritten rule over fakes. There was a French MAS 36 CR39 fake listed in a recent auction. I was about to spill the beans here to warn any newbies to steer clear or at least be aware of what they were bidding on. Then the lot disappeared, I believe someone contacted the auction house and they wisely pulled it. Something that you rarely see. Perfect example, a large house put up two Star Bs with German markings last month. Both were listed as the real deal but only one of them was authentic. The other was one of the commonly found imports that a German dealer had stamped. Easy to ID if you know what to look for. Somebody spent $850 plus the vig on it.
Old April 10th, 2021, 09:15 PM #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
Must be super unwritten... never heard that (but bear in mind, I'm just a lowly 13er) and have seen many many links to live auctions. What's the concern?
The myriad of reasons listed above are a big part of it, but the other part is that while you certainly don't want to screw yourself over by linking live auctions, you especially don't want to screw over your fellow collectors. The general unwritten/unspoken rule is that if one of us knows you're looking for something specific and we find that diamond in the rough, we'll discreetly put you onto it.

Much like fishing or whitetail hunting, you don't give away your honey holes, but you especially don't give away someone else's.
tallen702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2021, 11:05 PM #1505
Thread killer

Thread killer

My FIL got a bubbafied mauser at a yard sale in Michigan. Only pic I got of it. Had a swing away scope drilled on. Sporterized to hell.
Attached Images

Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2021, 08:17 PM #1506
Unejamacated hick

Unejamacated hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepang View Post
A Johnson 1941 is on my bucket list and I keep an eye out for them.

This recently popped up.....WTF is wrong with people!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895961075

Opening bid is $4,999. SMH
What the hell kinda silly ass contraption is that??

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)