• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    There are many LEO's on this forum, from MSP and many other agencies throughout the state. Maybe they could tell you a good course of action but I don't think they'll even pop up in here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Work with your lawyer , and hope to dodge the bullet on the false statements on the 77R .

In the abstract it is a good thing to persue Pardon , expungement, etc. For actually possesing an Evil Rifle or handgun before 2020 , relocation is quickest. There is no place in Md that is not at least a quasi-reasonable commute from a neighboring state.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Work with your lawyer , and hope to dodge the bullet on the false statements on the 77R .

In the abstract it is a good thing to persue Pardon , expungement, etc. For actually possesing an Evil Rifle or handgun before 2020 , relocation is quickest. There is no place in Md that is not at least a quasi-reasonable commute from a neighboring state.

I would agree with Biggfoot's advice, why would you want to support a state that has labelled you a criminal with your taxes? And if not should you choose to remain, and would still like an AR, you could just buy an HBAR that is not regulated under MD law.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Md is out of the norm in a cpl of different ways.

The criteria for State Regulated Weapons is different from Federal criteria.

Md Statutes of full of multi-year punishable Misdeamenors. Not that they ever get actually sentanced that way , but it trips up people who only received nominal punishment , as be convicted with *Possable Sentance of (whatever) *

Most other states follow Federal standards. Most other states don't have multi-year Misdemeanors.

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Just order a COLT 6721 its an HBAR AR15, see if the store will credit what u spent already towards one of those.

gruube

Feb 19, 2008
    What model AR? What did you pay for it? Maybe someone here would be interested in taking over the purchase.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    You are barred from purchasing regulated firearms in MD. However if you leave and go to a state that doesn't have the same restriction you would be ok. This won't effect your ability to purchase non-regulated.

This is incorrect. If the OP was convicted of Malicious Destruction of Property $300+ (now changed to $500+) it is a prohibiting misdemeanor because it carries a possible penalty of greater than two years.

Looks like he was found guilty and put on probation, which is different than probation before judgement.

If so he is prohibited from possessing any firearm for life, nationwide - not just "regulated" in Maryland.

He's on the right track with a Governor's pardon as the course of action to take.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    2SAM22 is right on the money! Other thing is you should ask your lawyer about a coram nobis petition. Not easy, but easier than a pardon. Its not widely known, but if he/she doesn't know what you are talking about find another lawyer.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If you don't have a M203 grenade launcher to attatch to it there is no reason to get a non HBAR AR. That is pretty screwed that MD would make a lifelong criminal of someone pulling a youthful prank. I think most of our laws exist to make paychecks for the lawyers making our laws.(maybe they should be excluded from the legislative process) hopefully you were dealing with an IP here and as a decent person will let you trade for an HBAR and keep the change.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Go to the court house and request to have it expunged. If your record is clean since then, the states atty should approve the expungement.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Go to the court house and request to have it expunged. If your record is clean since then, the states atty should approve the expungement.

A guilty finding can't be expunged AFAIK.

If you don't have a M203 grenade launcher to attatch to it there is no reason to get a non HBAR AR. That is pretty screwed that MD would make a lifelong criminal of someone pulling a youthful prank. I think most of our laws exist to make paychecks for the lawyers making our laws.(maybe they should be excluded from the legislative process) hopefully you were dealing with an IP here and as a decent person will let you trade for an HBAR and keep the change.

Looks like the OP is prohibited from possessing any firearm nationwide because the conviction was for a crime that carried a penalty of >2 years.
    Per Federal Law this is treated like a felony when it comes to firearms purchase/possession.

However, if, for example, he had a juvenile "delinquent" finding and was under 30 then he'd be prohibited from purchasing a MD regulated firearm until 30 years of age, and in that case the HBAR would be a good alternative until his 30th birthday.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    A guilty finding can't be expunged AFAIK.

Looks like the OP is prohibited from possessing any firearm nationwide because the conviction was for a crime that carried a penalty of >2 years.
    Per Federal Law this is treated like a felony when it comes to firearms purchase/possession.

However, if, for example, he had a juvenile "delinquent" finding and was under 30 then he'd be prohibited from purchasing a MD regulated firearm until 30 years of age, and in that case the HBAR would be a good alternative until his 30th birthday.

He was 22 when he was convicted and is 40 now.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If you look up malicious destruction it is 500+ or - . I was 300 plus I didnt know
    300 is now the 500.

The Maryland laws regarding destruction of property, theft etc, etc. changed several times in the last few years, with the thresholds for misdemeanor vs. felony going up each time.

That is why your ancient conviction was for malicious destruction over $300 and now the Annotated Code of Maryland reads over $500.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Just order a COLT 6721 its an HBAR AR15, see if the store will credit what u spent already towards one of those.

He may still have a problem since when he was convicted, malicious destruction over $300 was a felony.

He didn't say if he had been able to buy non-regulated weapons in the past, maybe he will chime in on that, but there is a good chance that he could not get through a NICS check either.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    he was a GROWN MAN when this occured.
    if he did stick a 1/4 stick in a mail box,someone could have
    been seriously injured.
    i have no compassion for him.
    stupid games ,stupid prizes.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    He was 22 when he was convicted and is 40 now.

And?

In most states, any crime that carries over a year in jail is classified as a felony. MD has many, many, crimes that are classified as misdemeanors but that MD apparently considered so egregious that they carry over 1 year in jail. 2nd degree assault and telephone misuse are two examples. Maryland even has 10 year misdemeanors.

When it comes to firearms under Federal Law, the above misdemeanor convictions are treated the same as felonies.

Back in the day, theft over $300 used to carry more than two years, then they changed the threshold to $500, then again to $1000.

Because the threshold changes over time, it doesn't change the status of someone who was convicted under the earlier crime.

BTW, someone convicted of any Common Law offense in Maryland is also prohibited by Federal Law because under MD law Common Law offenses carried a maximum penalty of any sentence "not cruel and unusual."

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Yes, but only if you're under 30, in MD for a regulated firearm.
    NICS doesn't check juvenile records because there isn't a provision in Federal law like MD law about juvenile delinquency.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    he was a GROWN MAN when this occured.
    if he did stick a 1/4 stick in a mail box,someone could have
    been seriously injured.
    i have no compassion for him.
    stupid games ,stupid prizes.

And no one ever changes? Second chances are for suckers right?

Never do anything wrong, intentionally or not, I would hate to see you have to face your own sense of judgement.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    And no one ever changes? Second chances are for suckers right?

Never do anything wrong, intentionally or not, I would hate to seei gott you have to face your own sense of judgement.

I gotta agree with Hawkster here. The OP was 22, not 15. Sorry, but at age 22 you should be contributing a little more to society than blowing up mailboxes. Heck, if it happened today, he would probably be labeled a terrorist. I am the same age as the OP and at age 22 I was finishing college and then went right to grad school and had a night job. I paid taxes, improved myself and future earnings potential, and saved as much $ as I could. I wasn't blowing up others' or public property.

Sorry, but he should have thought of ALL the consequences of his actions at the time. If he procreates, he can pass this lesson along to his kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom