• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    I'm still trying to remember in waiting for the 7th day approval from the Staties on when the seven days start and finish.

If I fill out the computerized paperwork on a Wednesday, would my days of wait be that Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and would I pick up the firearm on that Tuesday, or would I have to wait until the Wednesday after that Tuesday.

Ahh, confusion...my best attribute. :)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Pick it up on the same day the following week. I assume we're talking handguns or paperwork lowers and not cash-and-carry long guns.

Rick

NRA Life Member
    Feb 25, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    I don't believe your seven day waiting period starts until the FFL submits their part of the 77R. Although, you're right... if the FFL submits it on a Wednesday, then you should receive an email from MSP at about 6:00 a.m. on the following Wednesday saying you have "been Not Disapproved". Then you can visit your FFL and pick up the firearm. Their are some exceptions about holidays that I've never paid any attention to, so keep that in mind.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I don't believe your seven day waiting period starts until the FFL submits their part of the 77R. Although, you're right... if the FFL submits it on a Wednesday, then you should receive an email from MSP at about 6:00 a.m. on the following Wednesday saying you have "been Not Disapproved". Then you can visit your FFL and pick up the firearm. Their are some exceptions about holidays that I've never paid any attention to, so keep that in mind.

Yeah it's seven days after the FFL submits their part of it and you pay the $10 fee. Before then it's just sitting in the system as an incomplete form. Holidays tend to push it off to the next business day, so if you submit on a Monday and the next Monday is a holiday then the earliest it will be done is Tuesday.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Usually it's the same day of the following week. I've had one go through even though there was a state holiday in the middle, too. Just wait for the email.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In other words, avoid FFLs that lollygag. Ask before you pay. Don't be shy or concern yourself with hurt feelings. Most FFLs submit paperwork the same day you buy. A minority waste days or more.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i thought that it was " working days " saturday,sunday& holidays don't count

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    In other words, avoid FFLs that lollygag. Ask before you pay. Don't be shy or concern yourself with hurt feelings. Most FFLs submit paperwork the same day you buy. A minority waste days or more.

If the buyer is at the store and the item is in stock then I agree, if the FFL is holding onto it and not submitting it find a new FFL. Mine submits the form while I’m typically eyeing the long guns in stock to see if I want anything else.

If they don’t have the item in stock though, even if you pay them the $10 MSP fee and give them the 77r info, it won’t start the 7 days until the gun comes in from the distributor and they submit the form. That may be the day after it arrives depending on how much they have come in and how busy they are. Just something for OP and anyone who finds this thread in the future to remember.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    i thought that it was " working days " saturday,sunday& holidays don't count

From this bulletin:

Seven-Day Waiting Period-A regulated firearm may not be transferred until after seven days have elapsed from the time an application was forwarded to the Firearms Registration Unit. If the seventh day of the seven-day waiting period falls on a Sunday or legal holiday, the computation period shall be extended to the next following day, which is neither a Sunday nor a legal holiday. Example: If an application is forwarded on Monday, the seventh day falls on Sunday; therefore the computation period shall be extended to the Monday and the firearm cannot be legally transferred until Tuesday. If Sunday is the seventh day and Monday is a legal holiday, the computation period shall be extended to Tuesday and the firearm cannot be legally transferred until Wednesday.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If they don’t have the item in stock though, even if you pay them the $10 MSP fee and give them the 77r info, it won’t start the 7 days until the gun comes in from the distributor and they submit the form. That may be the day after it arrives depending on how much they have come in and how busy they are. Just something for OP and anyone who finds this thread in the future to remember.

Should be self-evident. The FFL cannot submit paperwork for a gun they don't have in their possession, especially since the serial number goes on the paperwork. Any FFL who submits the paperwork without the gun in hand to verify the serial number doesn't deserve to keep their federal license.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Should be self-evident. The FFL cannot submit paperwork for a gun they don't have in their possession, especially since the serial number goes on the paperwork. Any FFL who submits the paperwork without the gun in hand to verify the serial number doesn't deserve to keep their federal license.

It should be but some people read things and think there can never be an exception. There was a post in the how long to get an HQL thread where someone wasn’t happy their 77r wasn’t back on the seventh day and didn’t take into account Thanksgiving. I’m sure somewhere someone read 7 day wait, and got indignant when it turned into a 9-10 day wait because something wasn’t in stock. Just wanted to make sure new HQL holders know as much as possible. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom