• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Micael Pereda

Nov 15, 2018
    New member here; I'm thinking about building an AR Pistol from 80% lower in the near future. I know that a HQL is required if one is to transport the firearm to the range, however I wonder if a Handgun Wear and Carry Permit is also required to transport the pistol. I suppose the Handgun Permit would (if granted) permit a person to carry an AR pistol in person or leave it in an automobile?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    HQL is for purchase. An AR pistol is the same as any other handgun. Take your HQL class. Wait forever to get it in the mail. Buy a pistol. Wait some more. Pick up and enjoy. Put the HQL card in a safe spot. Carrying it around just guarantees you will lose it.

I believe stripped lowers do not require an HQL. No doubt there are tons of threads on this. Do a search and it'll turn up plenty

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You do not need an HQL or a MD carry permit for any of the following:
    To build an AR pistol from an 80% lower.
    To buy a stripped AR lower (you will need to fill out a 77R and wait 7 days)
    To transport an AR pistol to the range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    No one in MD is going to carry an AR pistol with a MD carry permit for very long. I'd give it a few hours at best, then you deal with your disturbing the peace charges, MSP pulls your permit and your lawyer makes a down payment on something pricey. You never see your AR again, and you might lose your 2A rights forever, depending on whether the Attorney General need some good stats and headlines for his re-election campaign.

Tie your unicorn to the hitching post, belly up to the bar and have a beer, on me.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    AR pistol = to any other pistol in this state. Same laws apply.

No carry without a permit.
    No buying without HQL.
    May be transported to and from a range(and other legal destinations as spelled out in the Maryland handgun laws) so long as all laws are followed.

80% home made pistols... are STILL pistols... so one may not do anything with them which violates established laws regarding the carry/possession/transportation of pistols.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    No one in MD is going to carry an AR pistol with a MD carry permit for very long. I'd give it a few hours at best, then you deal with your disturbing the peace charges, MSP pulls your permit and your lawyer makes a down payment on something pricey. You never see your AR again, and you might lose your 2A rights forever, depending on whether the Attorney General need some good stats and headlines for his re-election campaign.

Tie your unicorn to the hitching post, belly up to the bar and have a beer, on me.

Actually I do all the time. Remember that a w&c is also approval to transport. On are pistol makes an great trunk gun.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Actually I do all the time. Remember that a w&c is also approval to transport. On are pistol makes an great trunk gun.

I would assume you have a W&C MD permit.
    I don't think storing any pistol is legal in the PRKMD. Transport laws apply to the great unwashed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    New member here; I'm thinking about building an AR Pistol from 80% lower in the near future. [no hql required for home built AR pistols]I know that a HQL is required if one is to transport the firearm to the range,[no hql required for transport] however I wonder if a Handgun Wear and Carry Permit is also required to transport the pistol[only if you plan to WC that pistol or keep it in your vehicle loaded]. I suppose the Handgun Permit would (if granted) permit a person to carry an AR pistol in person or leave it in an automobile?[only a Md issued Wear and Carry permit will allow you to do this]

As long as you transport your pistol to a range and back, to place of work and back, to a gunsmith or gun store and back, no HQL is required for any pistol.

If you want to buy an already built AR pistol, then yes, an HQL will be needed to complete such a transaction.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I would assume you have a W&C MD permit.
    I don't think storing any pistol is legal in the PRKMD. Transport laws apply to the great unwashed.

Check my sig. Storage is never mentioned in 4-203, and is therefore presumably legal. There is nothing illeagal about leaving somthing in the car while outside if it.

JRussell87

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 9, 2018
    "Take your HQL class. Wait forever to get it in the mail. Buy a pistol. Wait some more."

Didnt take that long for me 10 days from submission recieved mine last saturday in the mail so my turn around was about 14 days total from submission to receipt but some shops are allowing you to start process with pin and application number over the phone/email so mine started 4 days before in hand

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

My thinking was "concealing an AR pistol is not going to end well. . . and open carry is theoretically legal, but you'll be arrested in short order, and found guilty of Something."

Trunk gun under a carry permit is reasonable, but I'd hate to leave it if I left the vehicle. "There always seems to be a problem with Maryland . . ."

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Permits to carry in this state are rarer than hens teeth. If you have one, you are the .1%.

If you open carry, people will assume you are a drug dealer or LEO. The difference is whether you wear your pants around your waist or thighs.

LEO can tell the difference and will leave you alone. If you have a permit, carry what ever the **** you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom