Do officers have a duty to not enforce unconstitutional laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    So people should enforce and submit to Unconstitutional laws until the courts hear them? No.

Again:
    “The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and the name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void and ineffective for any purpose since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it; an unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed … An unconstitutional law is void.”
    (16 Am. Jur. 2d, Sec. 178)

Well Doc... We can read and repeat the COTUS, and the legal references to it, all we wish. And fingers can be pointed in all directions to cause others to be harangued and accused as if they are the ones who are ultimately responsible for the predicament in which we ALL are found. What does that accomplish?

I have a question for you...

What things are you required to accept in your line of work which you believe are not exactly constitutonally right... but have no support to allow you to refuse?

Such as... If you KNOW that a person who is fighting violently with others... has HIV... and they are spreading blood and bodily fluids everywhere... endangering the other people... YOU ARE NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED to warn anyone of the other people. Are those other people not deserving of their COTUS right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? So WHY can't you tell them that they are in danger of being exposed to what is a potentially lethal disease?

Can you say F it and warn them anyway? Or are you legally required to keep that information confidential... EVEN to their detriment?

This arguing the matter HERE... amongst ourselves... is doing no one any good. WE do not have the clout necessary to change laws simply by refusing to comply with them singularly.

It takes FAR more than derision and division between us... to change what needs to be changed. But, that derision and division sure as hell pleases the left who are doing their damndest to divide, conquer, and control us all.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    So people should enforce and submit to Unconstitutional laws until the courts hear them? No.

Again:
    “The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and the name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void and ineffective for any purpose since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it; an unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed … An unconstitutional law is void.”
    (16 Am. Jur. 2d, Sec. 178)

A court cannot hear a case and decide on it until someone with standing is harmed by the law in question. If no one with standing either files suit against a law or is harmed by arrest or some other legal sanction then the law stands unchallenged. Many bad laws are still in force due to either not being applied for some reason or no one challenges it for court review.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well Doc... We can read and repeat the COTUS, and the legal references to it, all we wish. And fingers can be pointed in all directions to cause others to be harangued and accused as if they are the ones who are ultimately responsible for the predicament in which we ALL are found. What does that accomplish?

I have a question for you...

What things are you required to accept in your line of work which you believe are not exactly constitutonally right... but have no support to allow you to refuse?

Such as... If you KNOW that a person who is fighting violently with others... has HIV... and they are spreading blood and bodily fluids everywhere... endangering the other people... YOU ARE NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED to warn anyone of the other people. Are those other people not deserving of their COTUS right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? So WHY can't you tell them that they are in danger of being exposed to what is a potentially lethal disease?

Can you say F it and warn them anyway? Or are you legally required to keep that information confidential... EVEN to their detriment?

This arguing the matter HERE... amongst ourselves... is doing no one any good. WE do not have the clout necessary to change laws simply by refusing to comply with them singularly.

It takes FAR more than derision and division between us... to change what needs to be changed. But, that derision and division sure as hell pleases the left who are doing their damndest to divide, conquer, and control us all.

I have been in the position TWICE where a man tested positive for HIV, and his wife was my patient as well. In both situations I had the men come in. In both cases I told them they needed to tell their wives. In both cases they said they would not. What did I do?

In both cases I told them that legally I could not disclose that they had HIV. I urged them to tell their wives. I was fully prepared to tell their wives. In both cases I gave them 24 hours to tell their wives or I would. Both did. Both wives tested negative. Bottom line....in life I will always do the right thing. Always.

My principles should never be questioned.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Don't question my honor... And Don't compare me or those I have worked with to NAZIs. :cool: I don't do that to you and those you care about... I won't accept you doing that to me or those who I care about. It is rude and it is wrong.

I will clarify my opinion a bit

The cop in the OP has decided to follow the constitution as other cops have. They have made a decision to follow their oaths to the constitution. So they won’t ever have to say they just followed orders and took someone’s second amendment rights away.

And everyone’s honor is in question their entire lives and there’s nothing anyone can do about that. I have seen men of honor their entire lives decide to do something dishonorable when they get older and others who had no honor who made a decision at the end to become honorable men.

I don’t know what else to say other than everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks their opinion is correct and no ones opinion is more important than anyone else’s.

What’s your opinion on the cop in the op standing for the constitution?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have been in the position TWICE where a man tested positive for HIV, and his wife was my patient as well. In both situations I had the men come in. In both cases I told them they needed to tell their wives. In both cases they said they would not. What did I do?

In both cases I told them that legally I could not disclose that they had HIV. I urged them to tell their wives. I was fully prepared to tell their wives. In both cases I gave them 24 hours to tell their wives or I would. Both did. Both wives tested negative. Bottom line....in life I will always do the right thing. Always.

My principles should never be questioned.

Fear not Doc... I meant no disrespect and certainly no question of your principles. I was asking the question as a matter of comparison.

Now...

If you HAD told either of those wives... How would that choice have impacted your ability to remain in your position and feed your family?

What can WE do together to change that law so that INNOCENT people are NOT needlessly and foolishly deprived of their rights?

Short of MASSIVE protests and outright refusal to comply? What recourse does the individual have against the masses of the ignorant who have wrested control. And... How are we to stand together when there are those in our community who are more interested in dividing us into smaller groups for their biases... than working with others to affect change?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I will clarify my opinion a bit

The cop in the OP has decided to follow the constitution as other cops have. They have made a decision to follow their oaths to the constitution. So they won’t ever have to say they just followed orders and took someone’s second amendment rights away.

And everyone’s honor is in question their entire lives and there’s nothing anyone can do about that. I have seen men of honor their entire lives decide to do something dishonorable when they get older and others who had no honor who made a decision at the end to become honorable men.

I don’t know what else to say other than everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks their opinion is correct and no ones opinion is more important than anyone else’s.

Thank you for the clarification... Still... Don't compare any American LEO to any murdering NAZI... when that American LEO has not "followed orders to murder someone".

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Fear not Doc... I meant no disrespect and certainly no question of your principles. I was asking the question as a matter of comparison.

Now...

If you HAD told either of those wives... How would that choice have impacted your ability to remain in your position and feed your family?

What can WE do together to change that law so that INNOCENT people are NOT needlessly and foolishly deprived of their rights?

Short of MASSIVE protests and outright refusal to comply? What recourse does the individual have against the masses of the ignorant who have wrested control. And... How are we to stand together when there are those in our community who are more interested in dividing us into smaller groups for their biases... than working with others to affect change?

Not an easy question, you know. I could have lost my job. I can’t sentence a woman or any person to a death sentence because of the letter of the law. That’s morally wrong. I am a moral man. I swore an oath to do no harm.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Thank you for the clarification... Still... Don't compare any American LEO to any murdering NAZI... when that American LEO has not "followed orders to murder someone".

What’s your opinion on the cop in the op , and others, who have decided to stand by their oaths to stand with the constitution?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    This is a post questioning the wording mainly, not as much the intent - so hold your fire please! (For the record - I think & believe all gun laws are infringements to the 2A and should be deemed unconstitutional)

Who gets to decide the law is “unconstitutional”? Is it actually unconstitutional or is it in your beliefs and ethics unconstitutional? I may be down a semantic rabbit hole here, but I think people get revved up a little too hard when you phrase it as a point of fact that the law is “unconstitutional”. In my meager brain if it is in fact actually proven to be “unconstitutional” then I’m relatively certain it couldn’t have become a law, or it would’ve been struck down after the fact upon challenge. Those of us in the 2A community follow closely all the arguments in the courts and the constitutional scholars on the many decisions and ongoing arguments about the 2A, yet all the infringing laws that WE say are unconstitutional still haven’t been struck down as such. I’m not sure the query posted should be inferred as constitutional or unconstitutional laws to follow, but at the most a “perceived” un-constitutional law. The answer to that for every American should be no - don’t enforce an actual unconstitutional law, and most I don’t think would enforce a perceived unconstitutional law. I’d also applaud an agency for not enforcing a questionable law on the books while it was currently going thru the appeals court process. I’m just not sure calling it “unconstitutional” as an absolute in the title and the body of the post is an accurate portrayal. Objectionable, yes. Against your personal beliefs, yes. Or am I reading this whole thing wrong?

I agree with their decisions either way and support their decisions to stand down on the law(s) and stand up for their beliefs. It’s the (possibly) presumptuous wording I’m concerned with, and to a lesser extent the intent. Factually the law isn’t unconstitutional until it is deemed so by a court of law, perception or not. When this question is asked of people, I think it needs to be as accurately stated as possible. Again, whether you and I think something is unconstitutional or not doesn’t matter in actuality. Stating it even slightly inaccurately will only get people revved up more so than necessary, and there’s already enough “revving” going on these days.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The ultimate test of constitutionality is validation by SCOTUS. Until they hold forth, it's opinion vs opinion, with the win going to whoever has the power to enforce the decision.

Unfortunately, many lower courts seem to ignore SCOTUS decisions, especially those pertaining to the second amendment. If the executive branch decides not to enforce the issues, I think it devolves upon the citizenry to act.

Fortunately, at this time at least, we have Trump. Hopefully he can get the job done.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Not an easy question, you know. I could have lost my job. I can’t sentence a woman or any person to a death sentence because of the letter of the law. That’s morally wrong. I am a moral man. I swore an oath to do no harm.

Yes sir... I know very well that it is not an easy question. And... much easier asked... than answered.

That’s why I asked it of you. Because it would be the same as asking any LEO the question which is being asked of us here. Just as you have shown. Committing to an answer... one way or the other... is not a wise thing for either of us to do. And those demanding to be answered on the topic... won’t understand that nearly so well as you do.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This is a post questioning the wording mainly, not as much the intent - so hold your fire please! (For the record - I think & believe all gun laws are infringements to the 2A and should be deemed unconstitutional)

Who gets to decide the law is “unconstitutional”? Is it actually unconstitutional or is it in your beliefs and ethics unconstitutional? I may be down a semantic rabbit hole here, but I think people get revved up a little too hard when you phrase it as a point of fact that the law is “unconstitutional”. In my meager brain if it is in fact actually proven to be “unconstitutional” then I’m relatively certain it couldn’t have become a law, or it would’ve been struck down after the fact upon challenge. Those of us in the 2A community follow closely all the arguments in the courts and the constitutional scholars on the many decisions and ongoing arguments about the 2A, yet all the infringing laws that WE say are unconstitutional still haven’t been struck down as such. I’m not sure the query posted should be inferred as constitutional or unconstitutional laws to follow, but at the most a “perceived” un-constitutional law. The answer to that for every American should be no - don’t enforce an actual unconstitutional law, and most I don’t think would enforce a perceived unconstitutional law. I’d also applaud an agency for not enforcing a questionable law on the books while it was currently going thru the appeals court process. I’m just not sure calling it “unconstitutional” as an absolute in the title and the body of the post is an accurate portrayal. Objectionable, yes. Against your personal beliefs, yes. Or am I reading this whole thing wrong?

I agree with their decisions either way and support their decisions to stand down on the law(s) and stand up for their beliefs. It’s the (possibly) presumptuous wording I’m concerned with, and to a lesser extent the intent. Factually the law isn’t unconstitutional until it is deemed so by a court of law, perception or not. When this question is asked of people, I think it needs to be as accurately stated as possible. Again, whether you and I think something is unconstitutional or not doesn’t matter in actuality. Stating it even slightly inaccurately will only get people revved up more so than necessary, and there’s already enough “revving” going on these days.

:goodpost:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    LEO have no duty to enforce an Unconstitutional Law.

Like our friends in Annapolis who arrested Rack and his brother for peaceful assembly on a public sidewalk...because they were doing as they were told. Glad this Sheriff is standing up for the people he’s sworn to protect and not the politicians who want to twist our rights.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I prefer to not have police officers make determinations of what is and what is not constitutional. Uphold the law and let the courts eventually decide if the law is valid or not. Still, every day discretion 8n what to pursue is exercised. Ever get passed by a policeman in 55 zone while you are doing 65? My favorite quote from a BCPD officer is “ the constituion has nothing to do with the law”. Said while ordering a street artist to leave mckeldin square following a favorable determination in a us district ct of the same artisits expressive 1A rights in OC. It cuts both ways.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I prefer to not have police officers make determinations of what is and what is not constitutional. Uphold the law and let the courts eventually decide if the law is valid or not. Still, every day discretion 8n what to pursue is exercised. Ever get passed by a policeman in 55 zone while you are doing 65? My favorite quote from a BCPD officer is “ the constituion has nothing to do with the law”. Said while ordering a street artist to leave mckeldin square following a favorable determination in a us district ct of the same artisits expressive 1A rights in OC. It cuts both ways.

Yep, making up shit as they go along... Better served sorting what type donut is best at Dunkin Donuts...:lol:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Everyone has choices to make in life

Quick question, while you're up there on your high horse... Do you concealed carry in Maryland? After all, you think its unconstitutional to limit the 2A, which means you think your right to carry is unconstitutional. You are talking big about equating law enforcement officers to Nazi's for following "unconstitutional" laws... but do you follow "unconstitutional" laws too?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Yep, making up shit as they go along... Better served sorting what type donut is best at Dunkin Donuts...:lol:

Yuk yuk yuk... a real knee slapper there... next in line is the Barney Fife joke. Haw haw haw :toothless

The favorite humor of the right front seat passengers... until they get their wish. :cool:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Quick question, while you're up there on your high horse... Do you concealed carry in Maryland? After all, you think its unconstitutional to limit the 2A, which means you think your right to carry is unconstitutional. You are talking big about equating law enforcement officers to Nazi's for following "unconstitutional" laws... but do you follow "unconstitutional" laws too?

I am pretty sure I can constitutionally take the 5 th if I was asked that question.

But I have always said it’s better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

And I am not on any high horse, and I believe I am entitled to my opinion just as everyone else is.

How do you feel about the cops in the OP keeping to their oaths to defend the constitution and not to enforce unconstitutional laws?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom