• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I didn't know that Baltimore County was a party to a Taser suit at this point. More details have to be somewhere around here?

I haven't been in a rush to go get one, but if push every came to shove, I imagine an email from the SA saying they weren't enforcing it would be the end of matters. Still, I'd love to see the law off the books. :thumbsup:

doubt they'll do that. My understanding is there are still local laws on the books regulating firearms, despite MD state preemption. Always a chance they'll be able to bully an uninformed defendand

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Why did the lawsuit not pick up Annapolis and Ocean City initially as well?

two different sets of lawyer and we had a problem getting a plaintiff in Annapolis initially. I did Annapolis and George Lyons did the other places.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    The law is still on the books in BaltCo though. Residents are still unable to lawfully purchase a taser.
    (psssst, this plaintiff would know ;))

Thank you Sir! I have one picked out, just trying to decide if I am buying local post County legislation to repeal, or if I will order online or buy elsewhere and bring into the County in defiance of an illegal County ordinance. Putz Kamenetz and the Baltimore County Office of Law are more than a little slow on this one.They are holding a bag with nothing but IOUs for when they owe a successful litigant attorney fees for their recalcitrant and unequivocal violation of someone's Constitutional right. Stoopid use of my taxes, but no one ever accused Kamenetz of being bright.

Last edited:

EHinson

Apr 23, 2016
    Why was this ever in place at all. Why would people have a problem with tasers in the first place?

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    The places we sued are the only places we could identify which had taser bans. If you live in a city in Maryland that still bans tasers which was not part of these lawsuits please post and cite the law.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Why was this ever in place at all. Why would people have a problem with tasers in the first place?

I heard on the news when Annapolis was doing their about face that the Chief LEO over there thought that "they could be used against police officers".

No shit, so could a knife a car or a baseball bat.....

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    The places we sued are the only places we could identify which had taser bans. If you live in a city in Maryland that still bans tasers which was not part of these lawsuits please post and cite the law.

Westminster City in Carroll County

§ 106-15 Stun guns.
    A.
    For the purpose of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings as defined by this section:

PERSON
    Any individual, firm, partnership, association or corporation.

STUN GUNS
    An electronic device which is specifically designed to temporarily incapacitate a person with a nonlethal electric shock caused by direct contact or projectile but shall not include any device, such as cattle prods or nerve stimulators, specifically designed for and used in the medical or agricultural field.

B.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, give away, lend, rent or in any manner transfer a stun gun to any person.
    C.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, use, fire or discharge a stun gun.
    D.
    Nothing in this section shall be held to apply to any law enforcement officer while in performance of official duty.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Anyone live in Westminister and want to be a plaintiff in a lawsuit?
    I'd love to rep you.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

Baltimore City banned them in 1985. The councilman that submitted the ban requested that surrounding jurisdictions ban them as well in order to facilitate the City's ban. Per the 1985 Washington Post article, the only reason given for banning them by the councilman was "some brute might take it away from an old lady trying to use it and use it against her."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...18a-8dbc-be56516d807c/?utm_term=.bba9c58e77e8

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Do you have to be a Westminster resident or just a carroll County resident?

A lawsuit could be brought if you traveled to Westminster on a regular basis but I'd rather have someone that actually lives there.

To the other poster D.C.'s law got overturned several months ago.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Baltimore City banned them in 1985. The councilman that submitted the ban requested that surrounding jurisdictions ban them as well in order to facilitate the City's ban. Per the 1985 Washington Post article, the only reason given for banning them by the councilman was "some brute might take it away from an old lady trying to use it and use it against her."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...18a-8dbc-be56516d807c/?utm_term=.bba9c58e77e8

Which is unfortunately enough to uphold a law under the new and improved Federal Circuit "intermediate" scrutiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom