• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Would someone please educate me on why there are two organizations that are essentially fighting for the same thing in MD? Seems like redundancy and a division of resources.

I was thinking that each state should have their own NRA like MSI. Then I was thinking why isn't MSI named the Maryland Rifle Association and each state should have the same name. Of course, each name having the state leading the "Rifle Association." Thereby, keeping in line with what most people know which is the NRA.

So why two associations? What am I missing? Guess I need to research the history of Maryland, MSI, and MSRPA.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Probably for the same reasons one sees on the national scene, with NRA, SAF, GOA, etc. all working toward the same basic goals. MSI, MSRPA, and AGC all have a slightly different focus but can and do come together to defend our 2A rights in Maryland. Many here are members of several organizations and lend a hand and a dollar to all of them when they can.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks.

Wish I lived closer to the coast. Seems like most of the MSI events are a couple hours drive for me.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Would someone please educate me on why there are two organizations that are essentially fighting for the same thing in MD? Seems like redundancy and a division of resources.

I was thinking that each state should have their own NRA like MSI. Then I was thinking why isn't MSI named the Maryland Rifle Association and each state should have the same name. Of course, each name having the state leading the "Rifle Association." Thereby, keeping in line with what most people know which is the NRA.

So why two associations? What am I missing? Guess I need to research the history of Maryland, MSI, and MSRPA.

Probably for the same reasons one sees on the national scene, with NRA, SAF, GOA, etc. all working toward the same basic goals. MSI, MSRPA, and AGC all have a slightly different focus but can and do come together to defend our 2A rights in Maryland. Many here are members of several organizations and lend a hand and a dollar to all of them when they can.

MSRPA is the NRA affiliate in Maryland.

As dogbone notes, each org has a slightly different focus, and MSI in particular has joined forces with all as issues dictate. #2ATuesday was and is a joint rally and legislative activity day of all those noted.

Attachments

• 2A Tuesday New Logo.jpg
      2A Tuesday New Logo.jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 414

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks.

Wish I lived closer to the coast. Seems like most of the MSI events are a couple hours drive for me.

Give me the general area, or what would be a 'central' location. MSI has been branching out, doing regional meetings to be responsive to members who find it difficult to get to the Annapolis area. Our next annual membership meeting is Sept 17th ...

Meeting Location:
    Annapolis Elks Lodge.
    2 Pythian Drive
    Edgewater, MD 21037

Time:
    Sustaining/Regular Members: 3:00p-5:00p

Join and attend to express your need for meetings west of Baltimore.

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd

As stated already, there are often several organizations doing similar work. But, they generally have their own specific constituencies.

MSI has gone to great lengths to reach out to not only MSRPA, but also several other groups in the state to further the 2A reclamation.

From your comments, I'll assume you're somewhere in/approaching Western MD.

Look up the Western Maryland Sportsmen's Coalition, if that's the case. We've done good work with them over the past several years, and any additional interaction and involvement can only help!!

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Sorry, I'll fix that. I'm in Frederick County, MD. I'm going to try and make the 17th but can't do the Grassroots education in Southern MD which I really wanted to learn about. About 5 hours of driving, I don't think the "boss" would be to excited about that.

I'll hope to be available to help at the Silverado Show in Frederick.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sorry, I'll fix that. I'm in Frederick County, MD. I'm going to try and make the 17th but can't do the Grassroots education in Southern MD which I really wanted to learn about. About 5 hours of driving, I don't think the "boss" would be to excited about that.

If you'd like to get involved in some hands on 2A politics I suggest that you join the next Patriot Picket on 8/13.

Info here https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=197418

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Got a couple PMs on the "grassroots Education" MSI is putting on in Aug. in Southern MD. Here is the link: http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f9a3fb0d5de76b58560e66d8e&id=532f999d4b

I have no idea what it entails but maybe one of the MSI Executives could chime in about it. I have only ever volunteered for "wounded soldier" charities and those are easy since 99.9% of people support our guys/girls in uniform. This is different. 2A rights are a touchy subject and I'm not a "rock the boat" kind of person. Most of my neighbors are liberal gun control people. Trying to spread the word about the second amendment and drum up support is a challenge and I'm not sure how to do it. Hope to learn. The instant one neighbor knows I have a firearm I'm afraid my little one is going to be alienated from the other neighborhood kids. I'm trying to go all in because 2A rights are one of my top 3 political issues right now that I think are in major jeopardy in the next few years. However, at the same time, I'm trying not to destroy my families connections to the neighborhood. Sorry, off topic but it's perplexing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    MSRPA is the "Official" NRA affilate in Md. As such they administer the various national NRA programs and activities at the state level, especially competions, and presumably somthing with training also. 2A political activities are an additional duty. Their effectiveness had been up and down over the years. They were very active in '60s and '70s. Their current 2A head person is top notch. In the years inbetween had often been perfunctory to nearly invisable on 2A. The low point was when during a media interview in '13, a Club Officer expressed favor for SB281 . I imeadately tendered my resignation .

AGC is a Confederation of individual gun clubs. Initially centered in Baltimore, clubs from farther out in the state have joined, and the original Clubs now have members from throughout much of the state. AGC owns and operates a large shooting range complex in Marriotsville, Md , one of, if not the , largest in the state. They also are very active in 2A politics.

( There is also a Western Md based Confederation of Sportsmen clubs, that in addition to other things, has been medium in 2A activities. I'm having a brain fart for their correct name, someone pls chime in.)

MSI is an Independent grassroots educational and lobbying organization. Initially focoused specifically upon * Shall Issue * , they expanded to gun rights generally.

And not to forget, the MLFDA. An organization for firearms dealers, they also accept individual members. Their 2A activities have at times over the decades been forceful. In recent years, Lou Nichols ( Lou45) has been their point man on 2A. After his recent untimely passing, I am optimistically waiting to see how his successor will carry on.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

We are working to get more grassroots training in other parts of the state, including the Frederick area.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Got a couple PMs on the "grassroots Education" MSI is putting on in Aug. in Southern MD. Here is the link: http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f9a3fb0d5de76b58560e66d8e&id=532f999d4b

I have no idea what it entails but maybe one of the MSI Executives could chime in about it. I have only ever volunteered for "wounded soldier" charities and those are easy since 99.9% of people support our guys/girls in uniform. This is different. 2A rights are a touchy subject and I'm not a "rock the boat" kind of person. Most of my neighbors are liberal gun control people. Trying to spread the word about the second amendment and drum up support is a challenge and I'm not sure how to do it. Hope to learn. The instant one neighbor knows I have a firearm I'm afraid my little one is going to be alienated from the other neighborhood kids. I'm trying to go all in because 2A rights are one of my top 3 political issues right now that I think are in major jeopardy in the next few years. However, at the same time, I'm trying not to destroy my families connections to the neighborhood. Sorry, off topic but it's perplexing.

PM Sent.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    As MSI grows, so will the locations of our meetings. Given that most of our membership is centrally located around the 95 corridor, we tend to hold meetings along those lines. We try to have 4 member meetings a year. Our Annual meeting is in Annapolis, as that is where we get the best turnout. We are expanding in all directions with regards to meeting locations (Frederick, White Marsh, Annapolis) and will continue to do so.

In regards to the activist training, we will be holding these around the state based upon interest of our members.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    grass roots so. md.

thank you sir for the pm and info that's my back door just got off the phone with a bud of mine seeing if he wants to come along he now lives here md and Florida loves his 2a thanks again

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I usually try to share this with new people as well. The NRA is active in Maryland, but the political dynamics of Maryland and the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic are different. In some southern, mid-west and western states, the NRA has massive power behind it. An endorsement from the NRA is a huge deal. This leads the NRA to be very out and open.

In Maryland, many on the I-95 corridor, where much of the power comes from, view the NRA as the "great satan." This means the NRA has to work in a much more behind the scenes role.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In Md and much of the NE, an endorsement, or other public show of support from the NRA is a negative for a candidate.

Not that grassroots independent 2A groups aren't a fine thing anywhere, but in anti-NRA environments they fill a big role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom