• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I want to give my future son in-law my old Beretta A300 shotgun. What do I have to do? He has no criminal record and can legally own one.

Should I take it to a FFL?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It's not a regulated firearm in MD. You don't need to do anything except give it to him.

This is correct, some (including me) would say to write a reciept indicating that you gave him ownership of the shotgun on such and such date. Just in case it becomes an issue in the future.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think maybe the best way to give it to him is at the wedding. Walk into the church carrying the shotgun and stand next to the alter while the ceremony is taking place. Once the preachers says they are now husband and wife, walk up to your son in law and hand him the shotgun. Shake his hand and give your daughter a kiss. That's the way you welcome a man into your daughter's life as well as your family.

Kinda kidding about this. Although I think it's a good story.

HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I think maybe the best way to give it to him is at the wedding. Walk into the church carrying the shotgun and stand next to the alter while the ceremony is taking place. Once the preachers says they are now husband and wife, walk up to your son in law and hand him the shotgun. Shake his hand and give your daughter a kiss. That's the way you welcome a man into your daughter's life as well as your family.

Kinda kidding about this. Although I think it's a good story.

I had vision of some sort of shotgun wedding too. Poor boy has his hands full, she is definitely her mother's daughter.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Take him out to shoot it and after letting him shoot ask "How do you like it?" then tell him it is his.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For a formal wedding, it needs to be Duracoated white. ( humor)

But yes, both of you need to be resident of same state.(presumably Md by your profile).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Across state lines it MUST be sent to an FFL for transfer, NCIS check.

FTFY

State to state, FFL MUST handle the transfer. Federal Law.

It used to be same state as receiver, but FOPA 86 removed the same state requirement.

But the transfer must meet the state law of the state where the transfer occurs and the state of residence of the recipient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom