Does different AR15 chambering effect requirements?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Sorry to put this on you guys but i have exhausted my googling skills. I am building a 300 blackout currently and then have plans for a 6.8 spc. I am going with MAS Defense barrels as they have great reviews. They sell a 300 blck barrel that is 16" gov't profile. Without getting into whats the best length or chambering, is this ok to install on rifle? Its not hbar, but its not 556/223 either. Same with the future 6.8 spc. Can that be built with a standard profile or have to be hbar?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    It's tough to say for sure, and MSP will never chime in on something this close unless someone pushes them (please don't do that). They'll just reference the earlier AG letter, stating that if the parts are "similar" or interchangeable, then it's a copy.

With that being said, most here would probably agree (especially for the 300BLK) that making it as either a pistol or SBR for short barrels is the safest decision. Making it with a barrel 16 inches or greater, using an HBAR would be the safest decision in that configuration.

troyirving

Aug 1, 2016
    Hagerstown-ish
    Why risk it when the majority of 300BLK barrels are HBAR anyway? If I were you I'd get one that was sold as HBAR and move on. No need to go into a gray area if you don't need to.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, I would do HBAR or SBR for .300 BO.

AG letter says a copy is one where you can change any one part between the banned rifle the possible copy, and both still function. Nothing is said about firing the same or different ammo.

IMO, if you did something like .458 SOCOM, that would not meet the copy test (barrel and bolt swap to function). But then it would HAVE to have an HBAR profile barrel. :)

You can interpret it any way you like.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Most people who want .300 BLK and or 6.8mm SPC are interested in the longer range capabilities of those rounds and a HBAR helps with reaching out.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    It's tough to say for sure, and MSP will never chime in on something this close unless someone pushes them (please don't do that). They'll just reference the earlier AG letter, stating that if the parts are "similar" or interchangeable, then it's a copy.

With that being said, most here would probably agree (especially for the 300BLK) that making it as either a pistol or SBR for short barrels is the safest decision. Making it with a barrel 16 inches or greater, using an HBAR would be the safest decision in that configuration.

2nd what he said. go SBR or HBAR and have peace of mind.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Personally, I would do HBAR or SBR for .300 BO.

AG letter says a copy is one where you can change any one part between the banned rifle the possible copy, and both still function. Nothing is said about firing the same or different ammo.

IMO, if you did something like .458 SOCOM, that would not meet the copy test (barrel and bolt swap to function). But then it would HAVE to have an HBAR profile barrel. :)

You can interpret it any way you like.

6.8 requires different bolt. Barrel and magazine.

There is a thread here where the MDSP was called and they said only 223/5.56 count. I have no idea how to find that thread but I think it was joppaj who called them.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Just to be clear, im not look for a work around. I had every intention on going 16" and the standard 300" seems to be hbar already but found a few lighter options and imagined the light weight rifle possibilities and then tried to decipher the law myself. See where that got me. Half the time the officer you ask doesnt know or has a different opinion. Of course you guys know all this. I will just go 300 pistol, route paper work, then SBR that pistol build (unless this is stupid).
    Also im not looking for better range with 300 in 16" barrel. Ive done my research and know where it shines just wanted to skip the sbr route and had no intentions of running supressed but see what you made me do Maryland!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015

There is a thread here where the MDSP was called and they said only 223/5.56 count. I have no idea how to find that thread but I think it was joppaj who called them.

Right, with this being so different i would feel better gambling with lighter barrel. Im not SME on 6.8 but from countless forums and article comparisons, running 6.8 in a 16" gov't profile barrel would be great gun. This is on my build list two.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    If i go SBR, will I have to do annual paperwork/fees or is it one and done?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

OK, I was not sure of the other calibers.

But what MSP tells you over the phone is not legally binding. Heck, we tested the question here with email and found we got conflicting answers. So replies said fine, and some said that no official determination had been made.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If i go SBR, will I have to do annual paperwork/fees or is it one and done?

Only thing is, if you want to take it out of state in SBR form, you have to file a Form 20 with the BATFE and have it approved. You can ask for the approval for a year. And it used to be you could ask for approval for anywhere in a given state, but some have gotten them kicked back on this.

No fee, just file the paperwork and wait for approval.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Only thing is, if you want to take it out of state in SBR form, you have to file a Form 20 with the BATFE and have it approved. You can ask for the approval for a year. And it used to be you could ask for approval for anywhere in a given state, but some have gotten them kicked back on this.

No fee, just file the paperwork and wait for approval.

Approval to take said SBR out of state for a year? That seems better than the impression i had of routing paperwork every single event. Unless im understanding that wrong.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    NO, you can file the Form 20 and request a period of up to a year.

So if you have a range in PA, once a year you can file the Form 20 for each SBR and be good for a year.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    copy means same caliber (5.56) and interchangable parts (same operating system) as the banned weapon

as long as there is not something on the banned list in this caliber (don't think there is), you should be OK

copycat requirements will allow you to only have one maryland evil feature (pistol grip, bayonet lug and COLLAPSIBLE stocks don't count towards your one evil feature)

so bottom line is I think you are OK with a non-HBAR with a flash hider (as the one evil feature) for example

IANAL!!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The AG letter says NOTHING about same caliber.

Copy is not defined in the law.

So the AG letter is the best we have, and the AG letter says interchangeable parts. And that has been interpreted as if you can swap one part at a time and still have two functioning firearms, you have a copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom