• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I have one more virgin AR15 stripped lower receiver in the safe that I purchased as "Other" on my 4473 WAY back in 2006. Since it was never configured as a rifle can I build it up as a Pistol with a Shockwave brace and a 7.5 inch barrel upper?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I have one more virgin AR15 stripped lower receiver in the safe that I purchased as "Other" on my 4473 WAY back in 2006. Since it was never configured as a rifle can I build it up as a Pistol with a Shockwave brace and a 7.5 inch barrel upper?

Yes you can, but the question is, do you want to use a lower that you could make into a normal non heavy barrel rifle or would you be better off just buying a new lower to make a pistol out of?

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Yes you can, but the question is, do you want to use a lower that you could make into a normal non heavy barrel rifle or would you be better off just buying a new lower to make a pistol out of?

Always a devil's advocate:lol2: That's what I was leaning towards, getting a new Anderson stripped lower for under $75 and building a M4 clone out of the 2006 lower.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Build your pistol first. Then later, build your clone and throw you pistol upper on a new (post) lower. No harm done.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Here is the look I am going for when all is said and done. Just my SHTF gun to stow in a duffle bag ready to go.

20160505_123706.jpg

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

^ This logic is unassailable.

That said, AR pistols are pretty sweet. I just built this in three hunnit blackout

44B4FD38-2EA2-43E1-8454-5B590F6BB360_zpski1jy6je.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Hokie said. You can certainly build that '06 lower into a pistol. But building into a pistol is not the highest and best use for a Grandfathered Lower.

Good lowers are cheap these days. Get one of those for your pistol build, and reserve Honorable Grandfather for a pencil bbl or some such.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Need tools? You know where to ask. ;)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Why not build it into a pistol now?

Then later on if you want a non-HBAR rifle you can get a new lower, put all the pistol stuff on that, and build the grandfathered lower into the non-HBAR. Remember, rifle first, rifle always. Pistol first, you can go back and forth. :)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    FYI, the shockwave blade and tube can be had for $60 at several places. I believe the normal price is $90. There is a whole thread on ARFCOM about what the cheapest place to get a shockwave brace is at any moment.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Sorry to drag up an older thread but I just want to get clarification on something. If I build up a stripped lower into a pistol from scratch I can then go back and forth with 16" barrels and then back to pistol length barrels at will since it started life as a pistol?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry to drag up an older thread but I just want to get clarification on something. If I build up a stripped lower into a pistol from scratch I can then go back and forth with 16" barrels and then back to pistol length barrels at will since it started life as a pistol?

Absolutely yes, you can!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom