• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Sorry if this has been covered but I can't get the search function to work on my tablet. Does a Hbar have to have a fixed stock or is it OK to have a heavy barrel with a collapsable stock? I know at least one FFL who told me it had to be fixed but I can't find that written anywhere.

If there is already a thread on this please just point me to it. Thanks.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    An HBAR can have any stock. The barrel doesn't effect the stock in any way though if its a target rifle you may want a solid stock over collapsible just for accuracy sake. I'm looking to change out the MOE stock on my lr 308 for that reason plus my beard gets stuck in the damn thing and it hurts like hell.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    So now I have a followup question. I understand that I can get a stripped lower but can I get a complete lower assembly? I have a Hbar upper that I want to put on it. Thanks.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    It was one of the major retailers in the area. They said since the original Colt Hbar that was excepted in the regulated list had a fixed stock then they were interpreting it to mean you can't sell an Hbar without a fixed stock. Its all so confusing ( by design).

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    It was one of the major retailers in the area. They said since the original Colt Hbar that was excepted in the regulated list had a fixed stock then they were interpreting it to mean you can't sell an Hbar without a fixed stock. Its all so confusing ( by design).

Bass pro? Walmart? Dicks?

Feb 28, 2013
    That's probably the case, but I wouldn't give my business to someone that doesn't understand the law and how MSP decides to enforce it.

I wouldn't give my business to such an idiot either, especially since I've bought multiple collapsible stock AR's cash-and-carry.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    I'm not going to name names but it was a guy who runs a major gun store, not some flunky that he hired. I may need to buy other things from them at a future date.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You need to let us know. PM me if nothing else.

So WE can avoid the shop.

Any dealer who is spouting this BS needs to go on the bad dealer list. All it would take would be for him to make a phone call or email MSP for the correct answer.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    Just to make sure I understand what were saying since the new laws are purposely confusing and misleading... I just bought a stripped lower and will soon be building an HBAR. I am legally allowed to put an adjustable stock on it as opposed to a fixed stock?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just to make sure I understand what were saying since the new laws are purposely confusing and misleading... I just bought a stripped lower and will soon be building an HBAR. I am legally allowed to put an adjustable stock on it as opposed to a fixed stock?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    I got this from MDSP.org:

After October 1, 2013, an AR-15 HBar/Heavy Barrel will still not be regulated, however, could an
    AR-15 HBar/Heavy Barrel or any semi-automatic center fire be considered a copycat weapon?
    The Colt AR-15 H-BAR is excluded from the definition of "assault long gun." However, a Colt
    AR-15 H-BAR or any semi-automatic center fire rifle that meets the definition set forth in CR 4-
    301(e) ("(i) A semi-automatic center fire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any
    two of the following: 1. a folding stock; 2. a grenade launcher; or 3. a flash suppressor; (ii) A
    semi-automatic center fire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than
    ten rounds; (iii) A semi-automatic center fire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29
    inches.") would be a "copycat weapon."

This is where my confusion comes from. Taking the above into consideration, if I build an HBAR and want an adjustable stock, can I NOT have a flash supressor? Or is it because the final product is going to have an overall length of more than 29" that my HBAR will be excluded from this rule?

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I got this from MDSP.org:

After October 1, 2013, an AR-15 HBar/Heavy Barrel will still not be regulated, however, could an
    AR-15 HBar/Heavy Barrel or any semi-automatic center fire be considered a copycat weapon?
    The Colt AR-15 H-BAR is excluded from the definition of "assault long gun." However, a Colt
    AR-15 H-BAR or any semi-automatic center fire rifle that meets the definition set forth in CR 4-
    301(e) ("(i) A semi-automatic center fire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any
    two of the following: 1. a folding stock; 2. a grenade launcher; or 3. a flash suppressor; (ii) A
    semi-automatic center fire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than
    ten rounds; (iii) A semi-automatic center fire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29
    inches.") would be a "copycat weapon."

This is where my confusion comes from. Taking the above into consideration, if I build an HBAR and want an adjustable stock, can I NOT have a flash supressor? Or is it because the final product is going to have an overall length of more than 29" that my HBAR will be excluded from this rule?

Folding NOT EQUAL to collapsible.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, the law has not been changed recently.

The original wording of the bill included telescoping stocks, but that was removed before it was passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom