• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I know that COMAR defines Manufacturer( noun) as :

(2) “Manufacturer” means a person who possesses a federal license to engage in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for sale or distribution.

(http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-131&ext=html&session=2014RS&tab=subject5)

As per COMAR 29.03.01.07:

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

(https://www.mdsp.org/Portals/0/Downloads/COMAR/29.03.01 Regulated Firearms (9-11-13).pdf)

Is it therefore reasonable to conclude, since COMAR does not define the term "manufacture" (verb) that the term manufacture is defined as operations performed by one who possesses a federal license?

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You were doing fine until you use the words "Is it therefore reasonable to conclude..."

Reasonable and laws do NOT go together.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So how does this law apply if one were to modify a magazine that resulted in an increased capacity? To me, manufacture suggests fabricating components from raw materials, like forging iron into horse shoes, as opposed to aessembling components, like making a horse out of Leggos. I know in the case of an AR, you can buy sell trade and modify all components all day except the receiver. That is the component with the serial number and thus the regulated component. If I were to purchase a magazine and install a +3 extender, have I manufactured it? I know I can obtain the peices, go to another state to assemble them and bring them back, that's not the question.

So how does this law apply if one were to modify a magazine that resulted in an increased capacity? To me, manufacture suggests fabricating components from raw materials, like forging iron into horse shoes, as opposed to aessembling components, like making a horse out of Leggos. I know in the case of an AR, you can buy sell trade and modify all components all day except the receiver. That is the component with the serial number and thus the regulated component. If I were to purchase a magazine and install a +3 extender, have I manufactured it? I know I can obtain the peices, go to another state to assemble them and bring them back, that's not the question.

IMHO,yes you manufactured it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Any modification to a mag that increases capacity over 10 rounds would fall afoul of the law. In my mind adding +3 floorplate is assembly and not manufacturing, but arguing semantics wouldn't get you very far. And manufacturing has a pretty broad definition when it comes to other things like replacing the furniture on an imported rifle.

IMO go out of state, add the floorplate, return. No laws broken since possession is allowed.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Go in your bedroom,
    close the blinds,
    crawl under the blanket,
    assemble your magazine,
    Who's to ever know if you did it at home or out of the state?:shrug::sarcasm:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Go in your bedroom,
    close the blinds,
    crawl under the blanket,
    assemble your magazine,

Because when someone asks me if I have ever broken a law, I need to be able to answer truthfully. It's important to me personally. :cop:

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Because when someone asks me if I have ever broken a law, I need to be able to answer truthfully. It's important to me personally. :cop:

:sad20:

so you have never traveled with the pace of traffic on 95, you have stopped completely at every stop sign you have ever came across, you have never had a parking meter expire while parked?

you know what... I heard there is a craft show in Timmonium this weekend, that might be a little more your speed,

its a far less regulated hobby

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    :sad20:

so you have never traveled with the pace of traffic on 95, you have stopped completely at every stop sign you have ever came across, you have never had a parking meter expire while parked?

you know what... I heard there is a craft show in Timmonium this weekend, that might be a little more your speed,

its a far less regulated hobby

None of the offences you noted require "intent."

Illegally manufacturing an item does.....whole different category of crime.

Feb 28, 2013
    Go in your bedroom,
    close the blinds,
    crawl under the blanket,
    assemble your magazine,

Problem is, we can't afford to be seen as sanctioning breaking the law here.:innocent6:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom