• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CeaseFire Maryland Executive Director Resignation

Press Release
    August 28, 2005

For Immediate Release

Executive Director Steps Down

CeaseFire Maryland’s Executive Director, Leah Barrett, has decided to resign after two and a half years at the head of the gun safety organization to pursue other interests and to devote more time to her two children. ?She is grateful for the opportunity to have served the gun violence prevention community in Maryland and acknowledges the unique challenges her successor will face. ?However, she is confident that the political climate will soon shift to one more in tune with the values of most Marylanders.

“Marylanders understand that sensible gun safety laws save lives,” she said. ?“We all want to live in communities free from gun violence which kills 650 Marylanders each year and wounds countless others. ?And we refuse to be intimidated by a gun lobby that believes, among other things, that military-style assault rifles belong in the hands of civilians.”?

Fred Davis, President, CeaseFire Maryland Education Fund stated that “Leah Barrett provided strong leadership to CeaseFire Md. through her perseverance, determination, and unwavering dedication to the cause of reducing gun violence in Maryland.”

Since 1986, CeaseFire Maryland has worked to reduce gun violence in Maryland through public education and advocacy for effective gun policy. ?A successor to Ms. Barrett will be announced in due course. ?

CEASEFIRE MARYLAND, INC. CEASEFIRE MARYLAND EDUCATION FUND, INC JOB DESCRIPTION FOR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

The Executive Director maintains overall responsibility (for both organizations) for fundraising, budget, staffing, and all office administration duties, as well as program development and implementation and community involvement, including media relations.

The director should be capable of developing strong community relationships and providing leadership in the gun violence prevention movement on a local and national level. The executive director will report to the Board of Directors.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
    Develop and maintain fiscally sound financial management
    Develop and implement fundraising activities with the assistance of the board
    Conduct official correspondence of the organization and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents
    Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations
    Represent the organization in the community at large and among its constituents; protect and maintain CFMd’s integrity and good name
    Work with the board to conceive public education and advocacy projects designed to reduce gun violence and execute these projects effectively.
    Serve as CFMd’s chief spokesperson and thereby assure that its mission is effectively presented
    Develop strong working relationships and partnerships with selected organizations and corporations
    Foster proactive relations with members of the media
    Execute the recruitment, employment and release of all personnel Encourage staff and volunteer development and education
    Implement personnel policies and submit recommendations to the Board for policy revisions
    Oversee the development of all grant proposals and contracts; monitor contract compliance; conduct program planning, evaluation and continual program improvement
    Identify current issues and educate the local constituency for change; advocate and lobby for change on the local, state and national levels
    Coordinate regular Board and Committee meetings; implement Board policies, procedures and direction; communicate regularly with the Board

To apply, submit resume and letter of interest to CFMD at Freddvis@aol.com or by mail to CeaseFire Maryland, 3000 Chestnut Ave., Suite 203, Baltimore, MD 21211. All resumes and letters of interest must be postmarked by September 17, 2005 and received by September 21, 2005.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Wow!! I was barely born or at least didn’t have the baritone deep voice and manly features like I do now back then!!!

Eighteen years ago, were there still music videos on MTV and were people still buying CDs or 8 tracks and stuff?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Neat fact, Ceasefire Maryland has been a pro-2A organization since 2008. In 2007 the powers that be, failed to renew the registration and let it lapse. In 2008 and enterprising individual named John Josslyn (Yes, that John Josslyn) renewed the registration and has been responsible ever since. Enabling him and the "BOD of Ceasefire Maryland" to designate their representative on the Handgun Review Board.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *****Wow!! I was barely born or at least didn’t have the baritone deep voice and manly features like I do now back then!!!

Eighteen years ago, were there still music videos on MTV and were people still buying CDs or 8 tracks and stuff?

No . in 2005 , you couldn't buy ( new ) 8 track tapes

CD were the new thing, and cassettes were fading.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    No . in 2005 , you couldn't buy ( new ) 8 track tapes

CD were the new thing, and cassettes were fading.
    More like 1995...but yeah. Coincidentally, that was the year my new-to-me (2nd owner) car came with an 8 track. I too learned the secret of the half-matchbook. Although I wonder what folks with them do now - 3d print a wedge?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Shes probably had 3 or 4 new names by now.

Long live the day we made that bunch eat shit in the MGA.

Who is Gail Gunn?

One of my finest moments if I don't say so myself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    More like 1995...but yeah. Coincidentally, that was the year my new-to-me (2nd owner) car came with an 8 track.

It was circa late '91- early '92 that our new to us '78 Grenada ( with Very Interesting specs ) had a factory AM/ FM/ 8 Track ! I could only speculate the original owner was an 8 track collector
    with hundreds of tapes he wanted to go on using .

Timeline for youngsters :

There is a 10-15 year overlap between stereo technologies . Because people will go on using what they already have , and what works .

Early '70s car casette decks were new and cutting edge .

'75-ish more or less even split in new cars and new aftermarket stereos .

By late '70s 8 tracks had all but disappeared from new cars .

From mid '70s on , the % of new releases offered from real record stores and record clubs gradually decreased .

By '80s , 8 track tapes mainly seen at discount stores and truck stops . More of Compilations and Greatest Hits than then latest albums .

By ' 90s found at yard sales , flea markets , and thrift stores.

8 tracks had the advantage of playing contunously , instead of having to flip the tape over . ( Car cassette decks fie first cpl decades would often as not eat the tape as auto reverse .)

And cassette tapes from record companies used absolute crap grade of raw tape , and very crap fidelity levels resulted . ie 8 tracks sounded at least as good , often better .

( Cassettes only succeeded as audio format after a critical mass of listeners realized they needed to buy good quality blank tapes , and record them on a home hi fi tape deck from the record . In addition to good audio , you could fit 2 or 3 record albums on one casette .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom