• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Why isn't the CZ82 on the Maryland gun roster? The CZ83 is, so why not the CZ82?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If I'm not mistaken, the handgun roster only concerns new guns, not older guns that predate the establishment of the roster.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    No wait, I ordered the gun and recieved it today, but it was made in 1985 and the gun roster says I cannot sell it within the state unless it is on the roster if made after 1984.
    I have no plans on selling it, but damn, I was shocked to see it not on the roster.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well, as C&R guns are able to circumvent the "regulated firearm" rules, as long as purchased from another state, wouldn't they be exempted from the roster?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Well, as C&R guns are able to circumvent the "regulated firearm" rules, as long as purchased from another state, wouldn't they be exempted from the roster?

Purchased with the C&R from an out of state source and having them shipped here counts as an out of state purchase as I understand it, so with a C&R you can buy a C&R handgun from out of state regardless of date of manufacture.
    The state law makes no exceptions for C&R handguns that I can see, so C&R or not, it cannot be sold within the state if made after 1984.
    Article - Public Safety

§ 5-406.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in § 5-402 of this subtitle, a person may not manufacture for distribution or sale a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster in the State.

(2) A person may not sell or offer for sale in the State a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not included on the handgun roster.

(3) A person may not manufacture, sell, or offer for sale a handgun on which the manufacturer's identification mark or number is obliterated, removed, changed, or otherwise altered.

(b) The Secretary may seek an order from a circuit court to permanently or temporarily enjoin the willful and continuous manufacture, sale, or offer for sale, in violation of this section, of a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster.
    There is an exception for newly manufactured replicas considered "antiques" and a few others, but not functioning C&R handguns made after 1984 as I understand it.
    Article - Public Safety

§ 5-101.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(b) "Antique firearm" has the meaning stated in § 4-201 of the Criminal Law Article.
    § 5-102.
    This subtitle does not apply to:

(1) the transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or detachable magazine:

(i) for testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary; and

(ii) by a federally licensed gun manufacturer, dealer, or importer;

(2) the sale, transfer, or possession of an antique firearm;

(3) an unserviceable firearm sold, transferred, or possessed as a curio or museum piece;

(4) law enforcement personnel of any unit of the federal government, members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard, or law enforcement personnel of the State or any local agency in the State, while those personnel or members are acting within the scope of their official duties;

(5) a regulated firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;

(6) purchases, sales, and transportation to or by a federally licensed gun manufacturer, dealer, or importer;

(7) an organization that is required or authorized by federal law governing its specific business or activity to maintain firearms;

(8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm; or

(9) a signal pistol or other visual distress signal that the United States Coast Guard approves as a marine safety device.
    Article - Criminal Law

§ 4-201.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(b) "Antique firearm" means:

(1) a firearm, including a firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition system, manufactured before 1899; or

(2) a replica of a firearm described in item (1) of this subsection that:

(i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Most C&R handguns predate the Md approve gun roster, but the CZ82 is one of those uncommon exceptions where guns are designated C&R, before the standard 50 year period.

It *might* be a good idea to have a letter of opinion from the Md Attorney General's office, like for the exception to the 7-day period for C&R pistols from out-of-state. I would assume that since C&R pistols are exempt from the 7-day wait, it only seems natural that they'd also be exempt from the Md gun roster requirement... but, a lot of people have gotten into trouble assuming things.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    O.k. I found the PDF of a letter from an Assistant State's Attorney, to a C&R holder, that confirms the legality of out-of-state shipment of C&R pistols to Maryland C&R holders*. However, it does not address the issue of C&R pistols that may have been manufactured after the institution of the approved handgun roster.

Here it is, for the record; you may want to print this out and keep it on file.

*For the record though, the letter has a CYA clause that reads, "This letter does not constitute an official position of this office or of the Office of the Attorney General of Maryland."

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    O.k. I found the PDF of a letter from an Assistant State's Attorney, to a C&R holder, that confirms the legality of out-of-state shipment of C&R pistols to Maryland C&R holders*. However, it does not address the issue of C&R pistols that may have been manufactured after the institution of the approved handgun roster.

Here it is, for the record; you may want to print this out and keep it on file.

*For the record though, the letter has a CYA clause that reads, "This letter does not constitute an official position of this office or of the Office of the Attorney General of Maryland."

THANK YOU!! I read that file sometime earlier this year or last year someone linked to on another forum and I have been trying to google it again ever since. It is what the State Trooper Sergeant told me when I called the licensing division about this a few years ago. I asked him about handguns ordered from out of state with the license having them delivered right to my door and he said "you can buy as many as your bank account has money" or something along those lines.

grownmane

Nov 20, 2018
    CZ-82 and C&R Exceptions

Does anyone know if a CZ-82 is purchased online using a C&R license if the 12 -round magazine is allowed to ship?

I think I know the answer but just wanted to check the forums recent experience.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Does anyone know if a CZ-82 is purchased online using a C&R license if the 12 -round magazine is allowed to ship?

I think I know the answer but just wanted to check the forums recent experience.

No, you can't have a 10+ mag shipped to you, you would have to go out of state to get 1.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    No, you can't have a 10+ mag shipped to you, you would have to go out of state to get 1.
    This, so make sure the price on the gun is either adjusted for no mags or of a price that you can eat the cost of non-existent mags while buying them out of state.

The cheapest mags I've found were in the $20 range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom