• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    NFA = Required marking , with ATF specs for content and methods .

Self made for personal use = Markings not required . May well be wise and useful for you for some form of identifying marking , for your convenience .

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I thought the same thing; only required if selling.

Via Rainier Arms site:
    Is engraving required? What are legal locations for engraving the trust info?
    Yes, engraving the new manufacturer on the firearm is absolutely required by the ATF. Engraving can be in plastic or metal along as it is at least .003” min depth and 1/16” min print size. The complete trust name along with the city and state the trust is located must be included in the engraving. Trust info can be engraved on the frame, receiver, or barrel. The receiver is the most popular location because any changes to the other components would not require the engraving to be repeated.

EDIT: There is differing information out there regarding the requirements. When it comes to NFA items, make sure your ass is covered (in this case that means engrave your name, city of manufacture) before assembling the SBR.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Dang, that's slick.

The SBA3 uses a standard carbine tube, and has about as much solid area on the rear of the brace as any, adjust from a 10-12.5" LOP over 5 positions. No need to get permission to cross state lines, no $200 tax stamp, no 6-12 month wait, no OAL requirement in MD. The SBPDW adjusts too, but only 3 positions, same 10-12.5" range, looks kinda cool, but more expensive.

20181102_142845.jpg

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Via Rainier Arms site:

EDIT: There is differing information out there regarding the requirements. When it comes to NFA items, I personally will go the extra mile to make sure my ass is covered (in this case that means engrave your name and city of manufacture). YMMV and IANAL.

Yes, as discussed before your post, NFA items have to be marked. Firearms completed from 80% receiver have no requirement to be marked.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, as discussed before your post, NFA items have to be marked. Firearms completed from 80% receiver have no requirement to be marked.

I agree with you. It's how I read the applicable law and have always understood it. However, the first Google result for me if I search "do i need to engrave my sbr" is a blog post stating that, per the ATF, it only needs to be engraved if sold. I understand this to be incorrect.

Will edit my above comment to reflect this in stronger terms.

widdsmd

Nov 10, 2018
    While a pistol is easier for sure, doesn't that limit you to a 10rd magazine while an SBR could have a 30rd?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    While a pistol is easier for sure, doesn't that limit you to a 10rd magazine while an SBR could have a 30rd?

Any magazine over 10 rounds it illegal to buy, sell, transfer in the state of Maryland.

Possession is not illegal.

There is provision in the law about additional charges for illegal use of a handgun with magazines over 10 rounds. But once you are doing something illegal with a handgun, you are in deep do-do already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom