Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    any thing good about yours
    anything bad about yours.
    Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like mine a lot. It shoots 12” low at 12yds. Can’t get the sight adjusted to fix that without a taller rear sight as the front can’t be filed far enough to correct it. Seeing if it is a sloppy/loose bushing. Failing that will get a replacement rear sight and weld across the top of it to add some height and then file it down. Or I might try a bit of bondo across the top, file and paint (also with a spare rear sight).

I really like 7.62x25. Trigger is nice, handling is really nice, it absorbs the recoil really well. Magazine are pretty inexpensive and both surplus and new manufacture Zastava mags work flawlessly. Only handgun I’ve owned that has had zero malfunctions (granted only like 300 rounds down the pipe. That said, my P64 and Cz50 have had a couple of light strikes in the same number of rounds. As SA/DA for those, another trigger pull and bang).

Hurls the brass about 30 feet to my 5 o’clock.

PS it is absolutely NOT common to shoot low, but every time I’ve run across a thread discussing issues with point of impact being off they are 95% of the time someone mentioning their’s shoots really low left. I got my left corrected, but not low (yet)).

For $200, well worth it. Even with the price of 7.62 Tok ammo. Surplus can be had and for not bad prices still. Just rememebr all surplus Tok ammo is corrosive. If you reload, you’ll be lucky to get 80% of your cases back. Mine seem to come out just fine and can probably be reloaded a bunch of times, but I usually only find 80-90% of my cases. New manufacture ammo runs $16-22 a box of 50.

I wouldn’t buy one if it was $400+.

Jul 1, 2012
    Good:
    - it looks really nice, excellent condition esp for the price
    - well-made, solid, pretty tight fit, and a decent trigger
    - gives you one more round over the TT-30/33

Bad:
    - the thumb safety on mine is real sharp and painful in the fire position, and not all that easy to operate, needs some TLC.
    - has a mag safety (good or bad depending on your viewpoint)
    - the firing pin is a PITA to remove/replace
    - the captive recoil spring assembly is not available new, nor easy to rebuild
    - the recoil spring(s) are not available new as far as I know - all offerings are used takeoffs it seems - plus see above
    - countering that, a TT-33 style recoil spring and guide can be used with a TT-33 barrel bushing.
    - production year data isn't solid, so proving C&R status of a specific pistol can be problematic

For $250 or so it's a bargain, although given a choice for like condition pistols I'd go with a TTC or TT-33 and remove the add-on safety if it had one. The TT's are just simpler.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The Good:
    • Adding an M57 to my collection (at a low C&R price years ago) to go with my Polish and Romy TT-33's.
    • Adding an M70A chambered in 9mm to the family was a good addition. It satisfies my cravings for shooting a "Tok".
    • None are highly accurate shooters, but all are fun.
    The Bad:
    • None come out to play as often as they should.
    • 7.62x25 is a fun round to shoot. But cheap milsurp ammo dried up years ago.
    The Ugly:
    • The effing add-on safeties on the C&R pistols suck!

Attachments

• Tok Family Four (03).jpg
      Tok Family Four (03).jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 593

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Good:
    • Adding an M57 to my collection (at a low C&R price years ago) to go with my Polish and Romy TT-33's.
    • Adding an M70A chambered in 9mm to the family was a good addition. It satisfies my cravings for shooting a "Tok".
    • None are highly accurate shooters, but all are fun.
    The Bad:
    • None come out to play as often as they should.
    • 7.62x25 is a fun round to shoot. But cheap milsurp ammo dried up years ago.
    The Ugly:
    • The effing add-on safeties on the C&R pistols suck!

On your last, they do. That said, the add on safeties on most M57 are done reasonably well. Mine was done extremely well. Hard to tell it is an add on. Also they block the sear IIRC, which most of the TT33 safeties (all) that we’re add on are only trigger blocks.

I’d rather not have one, but at least it makes the gun (potentially) drop safe when on safe without having to put it on half cock (I’d put it on half cock if loading it with one up the pipe and needed to carry it around)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, I like the big boom and....

Attachments

• fireball.jpg
      fireball.jpg
      18.8 KB · Views: 532

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    M57: The two I've shot had a heavy trigger pull.

Mine ain’t bad. I’d guess maybe 7lbs. Slightly heavier than SA on some of my better DA/SA pistols, but not terrible and it is smooth. Some take up and creep, but again, not terrible.

My yard stick for terrible is a P64.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Mine ain’t bad. I’d guess maybe 7lbs. Slightly heavier than SA on some of my better DA/SA pistols, but not terrible and it is smooth. Some take up and creep, but again, not terrible.

My yard stick for terrible is a P64.

:lol: The P64 is a great yardstick for terrible trigger pull (until the springs are changed)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :lol: The P64 is a great yardstick for terrible trigger pull (until the springs are changed)

I mean, mine with the springs changed ain’t nothing to write home about. The SA pull is light, but mushy. DA is better, but gritty and very long. Still the worst trigger on any of my guns. Only now by some, not by heaps.

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    Mine also shoots low (maybe 8 inches at 10 yards)... Don't remember L/R being bad. I'd be interested to see the end result of lazarus' efforts on repair/a modified sight.

Still fun gun to shoot.

DK Firearms used to have new and used mags available... They appear to be out of stock right now, but they say they are working with C&R holders again on the M57.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine also shoots low (maybe 8 inches at 10 yards)... Don't remember L/R being bad. I'd be interested to see the end result of lazarus' efforts on repair/a modified sight.

Still fun gun to shoot.

DK Firearms used to have new and used mags available... They appear to be out of stock right now, but they say they are working with C&R holders again on the M57.

Been busy. Moved and other life stuff. I still plan to try at some point. I wrapped the barrel bushing in Teflon tape and it seems to have improved things a little. Group size shrunk about an inch and came up 1 or 2” also. Still way low as well as large groups. An improvement. A mightnight hold gets it close.

My plan is to get another rear sight and weld a bead across it, file a notch. See where that gets me. I may also get another front bushing and see what that does.

If it wasn’t for shooting so low, I love it.

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    Been busy. Moved and other life stuff. I still plan to try at some point. I wrapped the barrel bushing in Teflon tape and it seems to have improved things a little. Group size shrunk about an inch and came up 1 or 2” also. Still way low as well as large groups. An improvement. A mightnight hold gets it close.

My plan is to get another rear sight and weld a bead across it, file a notch. See where that gets me. I may also get another front bushing and see what that does.

If it wasn’t for shooting so low, I love it.

I've been looking around a bit for a barrel bushing... there seem to be a few available for ~$25 EA, used. I'd like to find a new one, but haven't come across any in stock, yet. There is a listing for a new Polish one (out of stock) that has a promising review regarding correcting low/left point of impact.

There do seem to be new-production compensators available that drop-in in place of the bushing. (I know not everyone likes these). So far that's the only way I've found to get a new-production replacement barrel bushing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe I will do more to find a new (NOS?) barrel bushing first. Using Teflon tape to wrap my barrel bushing did change POI by a couple of inches. I doubt it is properly snug still. There’s a little slop between the barrel and the bushing and also the busing and the slide. Less on the former than the later.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like mine, I have had the slide release when seating a magazine a few times.

Yeah, mine releases on a good slap on the mag well also. If I insert the magazine and seat it firmly, no issues. Slap it to seat it home and most of the time the slide will release.

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    Maybe I will do more to find a new (NOS?) barrel bushing first. Using Teflon tape to wrap my barrel bushing did change POI by a couple of inches. I doubt it is properly snug still. There’s a little slop between the barrel and the bushing and also the busing and the slide. Less on the former than the later.

I'd be interested if you found some NOS bushings. My barrel measures ~0.494" in diameter (the compensator site says it changed at some point). I'll keep an eye out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom