• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Is not the 2020/21 schedule already filled? Will we have to wait until 2022 for a ruling?

The cutoff date is around the middle of January. This case was granted cert afterward so it was argued in the current term rather than the last one. Any case that is granted cert between now and mid January will likely be decided by June 2021.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Blueprint for all gun control laws from now on.

Pass the most draconian law possible, water it down IF it ever gets to SCOTUS.

In fact, ANY law will follow this blueprint.

Then when mootness is determined, re-pass original law.

Cowards

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    This isn't totally a bad thing. Once NYC changed their rule, this case got messy and it didn't, in my opinion, have the potential for as far reaching decision as I'd like to see. So, they get punt a 2A decision to next term after the presidential election, which in the long run might be good. And they have a deep bench of petitions to take up next. Sometimes it's worth waiting for good things to happen. Granting cert in one or more of the pending petitions might be a whole lot better than having won NYSRPA and having the other petitions GVR'd.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Blueprint for all gun control laws from now on.

Pass the most draconian law possible, water it down IF it ever gets to SCOTUS.

In fact, ANY law will follow this blueprint.

Then when mootness is determined, re-pass original law.

Cowards

A decade or five from now this "loophole" will eventually get plugged. The unfortunate part is that might not happen in any of our lifetimes.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    More slip and slide, might be’s, and guess what’s. Either I’ll die before a legitimate 2A ruling is passed or be so old as to not give a shite about it.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Justice Kavanaugh's statement is promising:

That was a good statement. I hope it is the blatant foreshadowing that we think it is.

We'll see. I think its too easy with Pena for the CA DOJ to moot the case. Now that they know that works, they will surely try.

With all the BS that NYC pulled in this case, this sets a terrible precedent. States and municipalities will just do this over and over; they will get what they want for a few years then move on to the next method to infringe on 2A. It will make pro 2A spin our wheel$ in litigation, then at the last minute moot the case by dropping the law. :mad54:
    lucy-football.jpg

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    There were by my count 6 votes for mootness.

Kavanaguh is telegraphing a vote for cert and also a vote for Alito's analysis. So, I think we have the votes for another case, the question is which is the best case. Any case with Clement as the lead will rise to the top of the pile, IMO.

Convention is six votes for a per curiam, IIRC.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That was a good statement. I hope it is the blatant foreshadowing that we think it is.

With all the BS that NYC pulled in this case, this sets a terrible precedent. States and municipalities will just do this over and over; they will get what they want for a few years then move on to the next method to infringe on 2A. It will make pro 2A spin our wheel$ in litigation, then at the last minute moot the case by dropping the law. :mad54:

I think so too. I think that Alito et al have the better of this argument, it encourages people to manipulate the docket. At the same time, this was probably not a great case to start breaking new ground on mootness doctrine.

I suspect Roberts and Kavanaugh were convinced to let this slide because there will be some cases coming up.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I think so too. I think that Alito et al have the better of this argument, it encourages people to manipulate the docket. At the same time, this was probably not a great case to start breaking new ground on mootness doctrine.

I suspect Roberts and Kavanaugh were convinced to let this slide because there will be some cases coming up.

Ralphie black face is smiling .

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

It is telling with all the 2A cases they have "on deck". I figured they were telegraphing something, just not this. I hope they can call up "the next man" and get him into the game quickly.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

lucy-football.jpg

Yep I’m actually amazed at the number of people here that thought it was going to be different this time. I have NO faith that the courts (especially the SC) will do the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    We are the cats, jumping again and again for that elusive favorable ruling...

I (and I'm sure many others) expected something of the sort.

On the bright side, if DJT is re-elected in the Fall, RGB may finally retire/die and thus open a seat on the court for a "friendlier" new justice. After the inevitable year-long D bloodbath, of course.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Where can I get a few strands of RBG’s hair?
    Asking for a Haitian friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just pass a law mandating that all citizens get the right to a few strands of SCOTUS judge hair then take the law off the books once the court tries to review it so they have to consider it moot. Then promise not to implement the same law again later, but do it anyways and start the process all over again. :innocent0

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Fvcked by Kavanaugh :mad54:, and Roberts again.

Kavanaugh said:
    And I share JUSTICE ALITO’s concern that some federal and state courts may not be properly applying Heller and McDonald. The Court should address that issue soon, perhaps in one ofthe several Second Amendment cases with petitions for cer-tiorari now pending before the Court.

I don't think Kavanaugh is intending to screw gun owners in any way. I do think he is trying to ensure that SCOTUS is operating within their legal authorities. I don't like the outcome of this case, but we do need to be reasonable here and grasp that the crux of the issue of this case is not about guns and is entirely about legal maneuvering.

If we can get a favorable ruling on Malpasso v. Pallozzi or another case that could instate constitutional carry instead of only getting a ruling that states reasonable transport of unloaded firearms is completely protected, Kavanaugh may be a push towards an even bigger win. Only time will tell, but I wouldn't waste time being upset over this case. There are plenty more already in the queue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom