YOU are behind enemy lines now VA...now what do we do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Virginia, you are now a part of the gun-owners concencentration camp. It's only a matter of time before the rifles are outlawed and the magazines are limited. What's the plan now? I had hopes of moving to VA to bask in the "free" sun. NOW-not so much. The questions I have are 1. Where was the NRA? 2. Can't Republicans see that they have to pick better candidates? 3. What's going to happen if this guy gets more than one term?....balls-to-the-wall GUN CONTROL.
    4. Do Republicans not realize that if they don't go "Pro-Choice" that the party will probably cease to exist because of a large female population? We are already well screwed here in MD because Republicans won't wake up. Is this the new trend?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    From what I heard the repub party did not back thier guy with money as they didn't think (or want him) to have a chance. Top that with dems donating money to the lib canidate to help split the vote.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    So the Republican party needs to compromise its conservative values to pander to democratic voters which in turn makes them more democrat. Got it... So be more like McCain and Christie and less like Paul and Cruz .

OR how about republicans realize the tea parties existence is there as a reminder that the values of the party have shifted away from what they should be. And how about explaining to people what it means to be a republican and that what the Democrats are doing will never work.

Ken Cuccinelli let the Democrats write his narrative and he never fought back he took the "high road". He had his chance to fight but he never fought fire with fire. He looked weak and had no backbone.

Forthe last decade democrats have gone unchecked with their attacks on republicans while the media sides with them . Times need to change and the Republicans need to fight back otherwise this party is over.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Small Government+Personal Freedom=Republican Win

Although to be fair, they do have a Republican majority in both houses.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Virginia, you are now a part of the gun-owners concencentration camp. It's only a matter of time before the rifles are outlawed and the magazines are limited. What's the plan now?
    :lol2::lol::lol2::lol: You clearly have not read VA's state constitution, looked at the super majority of Republicans in the house and senate, looked a VA gun laws, or recognized that the last libtard Dem's 'one handgun a month' law passed by Doug Wilder 20 years ago was just repealed.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Virginia, you are now a part of the gun-owners concencentration camp. It's only a matter of time before the rifles are outlawed and the magazines are limited. What's the plan now? I had hopes of moving to VA to bask in the "free" sun. NOW-not so much. The questions I have are 1. Where was the NRA? 2. Can't Republicans see that they have to pick better candidates? 3. What's going to happen if this guy gets more than one term?....balls-to-the-wall GUN CONTROL.
    4. Do Republicans not realize that if they don't go "Pro-Choice" that the party will probably cease to exist because of a large female population? We are already well screwed here in MD because Republicans won't wake up. Is this the new trend?

Yes because a DEM governor can just make and pass laws and skirt the super majority in the legislative house of VA.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee

Although to be fair, they do have a Republican majority in both houses.

This. Although I would also add Economic Opportunity to the equation. People need to start running on getting the economy moving again - polls consistently show voters care a TON more about the economy than social issues, even hot- button ones. At least here in NoVa, McA painted himself as the schmoozer deal maker who would bring more jobs (doubtless gov contractors, but still jobs) and C never used any anything I saw to burnish any pro-business or pro-economic creds.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Two things:
    1. Polls were used as a campaign weapon. We saw the WAPO and other major media outlets release polls that had McAulliffe ahead by as much as 15%. In reality he ended up winning by 2.5%. People don't want to back/be associated with a loser so this hurt Cuccinelli in terms of money and support.
    2. Social conservatism is a dead end for the Republican party. As Gprimer said people want small government and individual liberty. I'd throw in job creation and economic freedom as well. That is a winning message not Cuccinelli's extreme views on abortion etc. The Libertarian candidate got nearly 7% of the vote IIRC. I bet Cuccinelli would've liked about 3% of that.

zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013

I can't figure out why this is such a hard concept for GOP candidates to grasp. I can't say it any better:

Two things:
    Social conservatism is a dead end for the Republican party. As Gprimer said people want small government and individual liberty. I'd throw in job creation and economic freedom as well. That is a winning message not Cuccinelli's extreme views on abortion etc. The Libertarian candidate got nearly 7% of the vote IIRC. I bet Cuccinelli would've liked about 3% of that.

It's like they just.can't.help.themselves.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    The House in in VA has a 2 to 1 Republican majority. Unless there turn out to be a lot of party traitors, 2A will be fine there for now.

The new governor is a complete boob, just a glorified drunken fraternity boy; he will turn out to be weak and ineffective at the end of the day.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Two things:
    2. Social conservatism is a dead end for the Republican party. As Gprimer said people want small government and individual liberty. I'd throw in job creation and economic freedom as well. That is a winning message not Cuccinelli's extreme views on abortion etc. The Libertarian candidate got nearly 7% of the vote IIRC. I bet Cuccinelli would've liked about 3% of that.

It doesn’t help that Republican candidates say that they want smaller government but then say we need laws to outlaw things like sodomy. It is so laughably hypocritical that it is no wonder that Republicans keep losing.

If you say you want a small non intrusive government you actually have to mean it or else people won’t take you seriously. Until the Republican party can drop the social conservatism attitude I can only expect more of the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom