• Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I checked some more bullets and the marking is H X P. The initial one I checked had the X worn down and it looked like a K. I broke down a shell, it had ball power, a flat based bullet that weighted 175 grs., and was .312 inches in diameter (7.88 mm).

Attachments

• IMGP9452.JPG
      IMGP9452.JPG
      84.7 KB · Views: 474

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Apparently, Olin Corp helped modernize HXP's production lines after WWII, which is probably what got them using ball powder. It's used in their .30/06 as well. Both their .30/06 and .303 are good quality ammo with noncorrosive Boxer primers.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I checked some more bullets and the marking is H X P. The initial one I checked had the X worn down and it looked like a K. I broke down a shell, it had ball power, a flat based bullet that weighted 175 grs., and was .312 inches in diameter (7.88 mm).

With those updated dimensions, that seems consistent with what is in this post then.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=232727

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Here is HXP 76 on the left and some MEN 84 on the right. The HXP has a slightly larger groove than the surplus German. PRVI brass doesn't have it at all.
    I wonder if the groove helps when the ammo is in strippers or cloth belt. The groove in the HXP is about as wide as the rim thickness so they stack in nicely.

The primer sealant color and crimping is the same between both but the Men is Berdan primed.
    I have had minor bolt face pitting from shooting a lot of the men in some rifles. The problem is primer cup crumbling at the radius which allows a slight amount of gas leakage with some but not all cartridges regardless of head gap measurements. I save this ammo for no1- 4 rifles with surrogate bolt heads that can easily be replaced.

IMG_1616.jpg

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    That is Greek .303. Best damn surplus .303 ever!
    Hey guys, thanks to everyone !! You nailed it apparently, Greek .303. How it got in an E- Bloc bandoleer will remain a mystery, since it came from an Estate.
    I checked the one I broke down and it is Boxer primed, reloadable. I have about 100 rds or so, and I know just the people I shoot with in the Delta Axis and Allies Matches that can use it to beat me (as they always do). You saved it from a fate worst then death (back corner of my ammo safe). Thanks again.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hey guys, thanks to everyone !! You nailed it apparently, Greek .303. How it got in an E- Bloc bandoleer will remain a mystery, since it came from an Estate.
    I checked the one I broke down and it is Boxer primed, reloadable. I have about 100 rds or so, and I know just the people I shoot with in the Delta Axis and Allies Matches that can use it to beat me (as they always do). You saved it from a fate worst then death (back corner of my ammo safe). Thanks again.

Wrong attitude. God is trying to tell you to buy a new rifle
    ;)

Yes! Join the British Invasion!

66643030_10214747248381345_911189565388095488_o.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Point me to the directions to the range Art. I put it on my calendar and, if the wx isn't too bad, I will try to make it.

In case my wife would like to come and watch, is the surface flat enough to allow a push wheelchair to roll around?

TIA

www.dpfng.com
    They have one every month during the nice weather, listed on the calendar.

Member Warpspasm runs the matches, and will most likely post a thread in the next month or so. Here's an old thread with the description:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=237818

I'm sure a wheelchair could be accommodated, and there would be a lot of friendly folks there to help. We would love to see some new faces.

Cherie

Jul 22, 2019
    I came across some strange ammo that I can't identify. I thought it was Mosie 7.62 Rimmed, but the shoulder is too far forward to chamber in my Mosie. I am enclosing a photo of a round and the bandoleer. The measurements on the round are as follows: 77mm overall length. 56 mm case length, 13 mm rim diameter, 46 mm from rim to shoulder, short shoulder, then 9.2 mm to case mouth, 21.47 mm bullet exposed. 8mm bullet diameter. Keep in mind these are not professional measurements, just me and my dial gauge.
    Can it be a British 303?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom