• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I purchased a ruger American in 300 blackout recently and I am waiting on my Nikon scope and rings and my Lee dies.

Ammo is awfully expensive for such a small round so I will be reloading for this rifle

Can you more experienced reloaded post up some pet loads for this round please

I have reloaded for nearly 30 years but mostly for .44 mags, 9mm and 45acp and occasionally the 223 but the 223 often gave me a fit in my ar’s but always did great in my bolt guns

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Steve

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Supersonic I load these for deer. Accuracy is .5 MOA @ 100 yds out of my 10.5" SBR

Lake City Brass
    CCI#400 Primers
    Hornady 110gr Hornady V-Max
    19.7gr Lilgun
    COAL 2.050

SubsonicsExpensive but deadly accuracy:

LC Brass
    Rem 7.5 Bench Rest primers
    Hornady 208gr ELD-M
    10.6gr A-1680
    COAL 2.250

Cheap Plinking Subs

LC Brass
    Rem 7.5 Bench Rest Primers(I use these primers in all my sub loads)
    Leatherhead(Now Gallant Bullets) Coated 225gr Bullets(I size these even though they don't recommend it)
    10.5gr A-1680
    COAL 2.060

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    220 lapua HPBT 7.4 of lil gun. 975 fps

110 barnes tac TX 19.0 of lil gun. 2300 fps

150 smk 17.4 of imr 4227. 1800 fps

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Subsonic specifically for Bolt Action:

200grn bullet
    7.8grn Lil Gun
    2.1 COAL

This is the first cartridge (and to this point still the only one) I’ve ever reloaded.
    Works perfectly in my Ruger American.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    9.5gr of IMR4227 under a Missouri Bullet Company 215gr pill. Gives respectable results.
    Still playing with it. Rifle is a H&R AAC handi rifle. Just ordered some MBC 245gr bullets to see if it improves accuracy since the barrel is a very fast twist of 1:7.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Yes, for jacketed, regular old 0.308 bullets.

If you start getting into cast+coated/plated, picking a diameter gets more complicated.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The general rule of thumb is that cast lead bullets shoot better when they're ~0.001" over the bore size. Problem is, bore size isn't particularly consistent between guns. For 30 caliber cast stuff, 0.309" and 0.310" are the two common options. Coated and Plated bullets are still bascially cast bullets. I've never been able to get Cast/Coated/Plated bullets to shoot well in the 300 BLK. My opinion is that it's the super short neck, coupled with the feeding geometry (long bullet cantilevered in a short neck). Quality jacketed bullets in the appropriate weight range are a $30 per 100 proposition.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a "budget" 300BLK load using the same .308 147gr FMJ bullets I use in my Garand that I bulk buy.
    147gr FMJ
    2.150" OAL
    15.8gr H110
    1950fps

My 16" Faxon Barrel likes this

My other is :
    110gr Hornady SP
    2.050" OAL
    18.8gr H110
    2365fps

I'm still working on my Powder coated cast bullet loads though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've had great luck with CFE BLK in most all 300BO loads, have tried H110 and lil gun, but the BLK loads were at least as accurate, and had better velocity in lightweight supers. All function 100% in my 9" Aero build with or without a can, all are accurate and clean. Only downside is that the loads use a lot of powder, although it's pretty much impossible to stuff enough powder in a load to get over-pressure. Have found with subs H110 may be a hair quieter, but without equipment it's subjective at best. Have chronoed my loads from my 9" AR when I was working them up, but don't have the numbers with me right now, subs were about 1K, the 110s were about 2100, the FMJs are about 1800 if I had to guess.

all with CCI SR primer
    Hornady 110gr v-max 23.5gr CFE BLK
    Really accurate fast and flat shooting load, consistently under 2MOA despite running an Aimpoint, pretty much matches my defensive load

bulk 147-150gr FMJ 20gr CFE BLK
    Least expensive load, shares the bulk bullets I use for my service rifle loads in 308 and 30-06. Hornady 150gr are the best, and close to the accuracy of the others, cheap pulled bullets or other brands are a little looser.

Berrys 220gr plated 12gr CFE BLK
    go-to subsonic load, feeds from standard 5.56 pmags just fine, accurate, relatively inexpensive and available on the shelf in a couple shops and many places online. I'm a bit leery of using poly coated bullets with a sealed can, and prefer plated or jacketed, although not an issue with a serviceable can.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've had great luck with CFE BLK in most all 300BO loads, have tried H110 and lil gun, but the BLK loads were at least as accurate, and had better velocity in lightweight supers. All function 100% in my 9" Aero build with or without a can, all are accurate and clean. Only downside is that the loads use a lot of powder, although it's pretty much impossible to stuff enough powder in a load to get over-pressure. Have found with subs H110 may be a hair quieter, but without equipment it's subjective at best. Have chronoed my loads from my 9" AR when I was working them up, but don't have the numbers with me right now, subs were about 1K, the 110s were about 2100, the FMJs are about 1800 if I had to guess.

all with CCI SR primer
    Hornady 110gr v-max 23.5gr CFE BLK
    Really accurate fast and flat shooting load, consistently under 2MOA despite running an Aimpoint, pretty much matches my defensive load

bulk 147-150gr FMJ 20gr CFE BLK
    Least expensive load, shares the bulk bullets I use for my service rifle loads in 308 and 30-06. Hornady 150gr are the best, and close to the accuracy of the others, cheap pulled bullets or other brands are a little looser.

Berrys 220gr plated 12gr CFE BLK
    go-to subsonic load, feeds from standard 5.56 pmags just fine, accurate, relatively inexpensive and available on the shelf in a couple shops and many places online. I'm a bit leery of using poly coated bullets with a sealed can, and prefer plated or jacketed, although not an issue with a serviceable can.

I'm close to your sub load. I'm running 12.2gr CFE BLK with 220gr Berry's and a SRMP. I found the magnum primers cut my load standard deviation in more than half from regular primers. Runs in my gun suppressed and non but I rarely shoot it without the can. I also get great feeding from standard pmags.

My supersonic load is 19.2gr lil gun under a Speer TNT 110gr with SRP. Getting average of 1950 fps. Haven't really messed with supers much but that's what I'm running for now.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    you fellas running subsonic, how is your accuracy? I've yet to have accurate loads out of anything I've done subsonic. Maybe its me or my optics but even the sig and TK ammo using Amax bullets are coming out 2-3MOA @ 50 yards. I"m even on my second barrel on my SBR

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    you fellas running subsonic, how is your accuracy? I've yet to have accurate loads out of anything I've done subsonic. Maybe its me or my optics but even the sig and TK ammo using Amax bullets are coming out 2-3MOA @ 50 yards. I"m even on my second barrel on my SBR
    I'm getting MOA and even sub-MOA @100 yds. using Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X bullets.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    1 to 1.5 inch at 50 yards with cheap Berry's 220. But I haven't shot it off bags yet, just a front rest. Hornady sub x are better but expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom