• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I'm glad someone is getting responses, I still haven't heard anything.

Do what I did and e-mail the entire GA, I haven't gotten a reply from any of my delegates or senator, but I've heard from quite a few others including Frosh, same response some else here posted.

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    All the response from "Dutch" have been canned. I recevied the same one. We are getting good personal responses which gives me hope, but the fight isn't even close to be over, nor will it ever be.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thank you for e-mailing me your message. It is important that I know the concerns of my fellow Marylanders so I can carry out my responsibilities in Congress.

I appreciate hearing from you and I look forward to considering your message further. I will try to respond more fully to your e-mail as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Congressman Chris Van Hollen

Heres mine. I'm sure Chris will really consider this message.
    :sarcasm:

DCFCHEF

Mar 3, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    Got this back from Andy Harris...the ONLY response I received.

Thank you for contacting me about the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and your concern about the potential erosion of our 2nd Amendment rights. As an educator and father of five, two of whom are still in school, the horror that took place on the morning of Friday, December 14, 2012 is unfathomable. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the 27 victims and the Newtown community.

We all must work together to prevent these types of tragedies. I believe we have to start by addressing the culture of violence that has consumed our country. Our news media, movies, television shows, and video games display endless violent images that glorify and inspire this behavior. We have to stop sensationalizing these murderers. According to KidsHealth, the average child spends 28 hours a week watching television and it is estimated that by the time this child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence (and this does not include violent video games). According to The Parents Television Council, by the time children reach the age of 18, they have seen more than 40,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence. I believe this is a major contribution to the problem.

As a physician, I also feel mental health care reform needs to be a part of the discussion. It is important to remember that those with mental illnesses rarely commit acts of violence and this low incidence must be put into perspective. However, we need to make sure children and young adults with mental illness are diagnosed and have access to proper therapy in order to help them cope with their condition. Studies show that more than 10% of children in the United States may benefit from some sort of mental health treatment, but most do not receive help. There is a shortage of resources and services available to serve those that need mental health care support. Furthermore, where these resources exist, their implementation could be improved and used more effectively.

Like you, I agree that we must enforce to the fullest extent possible our current gun control laws that protect people from danger, like preventing gun ownership by criminals or those suffering from a severe psychological disorder that could result in a violent act. Currently, over 4,450 crimes related to guns exist on the federal law books, and tens of thousands have been proposed in the Federal Register. According to the Brady Campaign, Connecticut has the 5th toughest gun laws in the country including an assault weapons ban. Norway, a nation with some of the toughest gun laws in the world, not too long ago had to deal with a mass murderer killing over 80 people, most of whom were children. Illegal use of a firearm, as was the case with the Sandy Hook shooter, should always be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

I believe that by addressing our country's increasingly worrisome culture of violence, and implementing strategies to generally improve our mental health system, we can lessen the occurrence of these tragedies by targeting the root causes of mass murders. I am grateful for your comments, and you may rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as legislation on this issue is discussed. I hope that you will feel free to contact me on any issue of importance to you or your family in the future.

Sincerely,

Andy Harris, M.D.
    Member of Congress

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Thank you for contacting me about the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and your concern about the potential erosion of our 2nd Amendment rights. As an educator and father of five, two of whom are still in school, the horror that took place on the morning of Friday, December 14, 2012 is unfathomable. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the 27 victims and the Newtown community.

We all must work together to prevent these types of tragedies. I believe we have to start by addressing the culture of violence that has consumed our country. Our news media, movies, television shows, and video games display endless violent images that glorify and inspire this behavior. We have to stop sensationalizing these murderers. According to KidsHealth, the average child spends 28 hours a week watching television and it is estimated that by the time this child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence (and this does not include violent video games). According to The Parents Television Council, by the time children reach the age of 18, they have seen more than 40,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence. I believe this is a major contribution to the problem.

As a physician, I also feel mental health care reform needs to be a part of the discussion. It is important to remember that those with mental illnesses rarely commit acts of violence and this low incidence must be put into perspective. However, we need to make sure children and young adults with mental illness are diagnosed and have access to proper therapy in order to help them cope with their condition. Studies show that more than 10% of children in the United States may benefit from some sort of mental health treatment, but most do not receive help. There is a shortage of resources and services available to serve those that need mental health care support. Furthermore, where these resources exist, their implementation could be improved and used more effectively.

Like you, I agree that we must enforce to the fullest extent possible our current gun control laws that protect people from danger, like preventing gun ownership by criminals or those suffering from a severe psychological disorder that could result in a violent act. Currently, over 4,450 crimes related to guns exist on the federal law books, and tens of thousands have been proposed in the Federal Register. According to the Brady Campaign, Connecticut has the 5th toughest gun laws in the country including an assault weapons ban. Norway, a nation with some of the toughest gun laws in the world, not too long ago had to deal with a mass murderer killing over 80 people, most of whom were children. Illegal use of a firearm, as was the case with the Sandy Hook shooter, should always be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

I believe that by addressing our country's increasingly worrisome culture of violence, and implementing strategies to generally improve our mental health system, we can lessen the occurrence of these tragedies by targeting the root causes of mass murders. I am grateful for your comments, and you may rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as legislation on this issue is discussed. I hope that you will feel free to contact me on any issue of importance to you or your family in the future.

Sincerely,

Andy Harris, M.D.
    Member of Congress

Thats the same response I got from him...

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Jack:

I agree with you 100% and will vote accordingly in the MD House of Delegates.

Thanks for let me know your opinion on this very important issue.

Del. Pat McDonough
    410-841-3334

-----Original Message-----
    From: wjackcooper@comcast.net [mailto:wjackcooper@comcast.net]
    Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:08 AM
    To: McDonough, Pat Delegate
    Subject: Guns

Considering what happened in Norway, where "gun control" laws are among the tightest in the world, (over 60 killed, most were children) and what happened in Newtown where there are strict "gun control" laws, it seems to me, in that police cannot always be present, a great contribution to public safety, at no taxpayer expense, could be made by armed law-abiding citizens. At the very least the concept ought be given unbiased study.

W. Jack Cooper

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Thank you, Mr. Ost. I promise to keep an open mind and consider both sides of the debate on this issue.

Regards,

Jim

James N. Robey
    Senator, District 13
    11 Bladen Street
    #120 James Senate Office Building
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    410-841-3572

Seems shitty until you realize that until now he's been telling me to go fuc& myself. Enough people are getting through that he actually had to address us and change his pitch, and I got something similar from Cummings.

We are not nearly out of the woods, but we're doing the right stuff, we need to continue and step it up.

Give money to MD shall issue, they're on our side, and they are THERE in the MD legislature, they're our troops in this fight, we gotta support them

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Mr. Ost.;

I would appreciate knowing what you sent that generated the favorable reply. I think we need to carpet bomb our friends and foes. The more ideas the better.

Thanks

Regards
    Jack

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I got back a letter in the mail yesterday from MoM's office. Why they didn't just email me, I have no idea.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I got a snail mail yesterday from Victor Ramirez PG county, saying he looked forward to working with me on this issue. Anyone have any idea of which way he leans?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I got a snail mail yesterday from Victor Ramirez PG county, saying he looked forward to working with me on this issue. Anyone have any idea of which way he leans?

Me too. I wonder if he realizes we are not in his district, or if some intern mistakenly sent the wrong reply.

vwluv10338

Jan 13, 2009
    I don't think they read my email:

Dear Mr. VW:

Thank you for contacting me about the recent events in Egypt. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Like you, I have great concerns about the protests and violence in Egypt. I support President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton's call for a democratically elected government that respects the human rights of its citizens. The United States and Egypt have a long standing history of cooperation. It is essential that a new government respect this relationship and continue to provide stability in the region.

Egypt receives significant foreign aid from the U.S. As a member of the Appropriations Subcommittee which helps determine our levels of foreign aid, I have worked to ensure that these funds are used to promote democracy and meet the needs of the Egyptian people. I will continue to look critically at how this money is being spent.

Again, thanks for contacting me. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

Please do not respond directly to this e-mail. The originating e-mail account is not monitored.
    If you would like to get in touch with me again, please visit the comments page of my website here.
    If you would like to get regular updates, please sign up for my E-Newsletter here.
    Please follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom