• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Dear [rambling_one]

I thought you might appreciate my position on this issue. If you believe that it makes good sense, please ask your delegates and senator to co-sponsor my bill.

Godspeed,

Mike McDermott, Delegate

Liberty and Safety Must Walk Together

by Delegate Mike McDermott

The easiest political solution in response to the murderous rampage in Connecticut would be to point the finger at something...anything...and ban it to the abyss. We could then pronounce our children to be “safe” and accept the kudos for our “success”. Politics as usual.

On the books, we have thousands of gun laws obeyed by our good citizens while ignored by criminals. Most of our mass shootings have been perpetrated by those suffering from mental illness who were not armed with “assault rifles”. The massacre at Virginia Tech involved a handgun and resulted in significantly more victims.

In order to solve the problem, let’s begin by confessing that we cannot stop it from happening again. We cannot fix all the sick, broken people determined to do others and themselves harm. We cannot take away all of the guns. We cannot afford cops at every entrance to every school.

We can, however, harden the target and limit our vulnerabilities if we become aggressive in our response to potential threats. There are school districts in our country which have adopted a proactive approach to security threats. Within their schools are certain staffers (known only to the administration) who carry concealed firearms within the school. These trained individuals are designated as “Guardians” and they represent a vigilant line of defense for those we must protect. They are equipped and ready to stand in the gap. Like Sky Marshals, School Guardians remain behind the scenes unknown to all, but prepared nonetheless.

We can opt to provide less lethal technology, such as Tasers, to select staff within our schools. While their effective range is limited, they could provide a line of defense for those who currently have nothing at their disposal. This would require minimal expense and training and could be in place within a matter of weeks.

How I wish one or more of the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary had been a “Guardian” or equipped with a Taser. How differently might the outcome have been.

We must change the way that we view mental health issues and options in our country. We closed the doors on institutions during the 1980’s only to provide no alternatives. The results surround us and it is politically incorrect to even discuss the issues. If we feel your conduct or actions place our society at an undue risk, your liberty should be in jeopardy. We recognize this when it comes to passenger aircraft, and it is time we recognized it outside of the airports as well.

The media must police itself or be subjected to fines for sensationalizing instead of simply reporting these types of tragedies. Most of these murdering crazies seek celebrity status, even in death, and the electronic media is generally only too glad to oblige. Why do we understand this when it comes to streakers at a televised event, yet fail to grasp it in these situations? There is a balance missing that the media desperately needs to find or we can find it for them.

Preparing our children to take their place in civil society is the responsibility of parents. Teachers, mentors, and the rest of society can only reinforce what parents are instilling. There are some who advocate taking certain guns from responsible citizens while simultaneously letting junior play the most hellish video games available night and day. What’s wrong with that picture? Training a child is the toughest, most important job if we are to preserve a civil society for the coming generation. In this, we must hold each other accountable. We simply must stop subsidizing and making excuses for antisocial behavior.

I will introduce legislation in the next two weeks which would:

Authorize a Maryland School District to implement a “Guardian” program;
    Authorize a Maryland School District to issue Taser style less-lethal weapons to select personnel within a school;
    Authorize persons who possess Conceal-Carry Permits along with Active or Retired Law Enforcement Officers (who are certified to possess firearms) to carry a concealed firearm on the campus of a public school.

It was Benjamin Franklin who proclaimed, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Let us be a people who truly understand how to provide safety while maintaining our liberty.

Mr H

Banana'd
    My next letter...

A Perfect Example of Why Gun Control is Dangerous

The recent news story of the Loganville, Georgia mother who successfully protected herself and her children shows us why the current push for increased restrictions on gun ownership, capacity, and carry will be counterproductive.

This brave and resourceful woman managed to fend off an intruder in her home with a .38 caliber revolver, placing 5 of the 6 shots effectively. The suspect is in the hospital, and will not be a future threat. This, in short, is the essence of self-protection, where free citizens are able to equalize the threats they could face at any given time, in an increasingly uneasy society.

But this raises a question... "What if" she had been confronted by multiple invaders? Would it be better for the victim in those situations to be [effectively] disarmed, or to have the option to possess and utilize defensive firearms that can handle multiple threats? Six shots were barely enough in the Georgia circumstance. This is why the availability of semi-automatic firearms capable of holding 10, 12, 15, or more rounds is so critical, to enable the citizen a more effective protective capacity.

The need for self-protection also extends outside the home. It has been proven time and again that enabling citizens the option to carry personal firearms (particularly concealed) becomes an effective deterrent to crime. The simple possibility that a potential victim might be armed, trained, and able to defend themselves seems to be enough to give the criminal pause, and consider a different target. This would also apply in public places... Malls, theaters, schools... All locations where there have been shooting incidents. But--and this goes unreported in the mass media--where the shooter encounters armed resistance, they are stopped, or end the threat themselves.

The current pushes at the State and National level could remove the capability of the citizen to provide protection for their homes and families. To leave these responsible, law-abiding citizens defenseless does nothing to solve the problems of violent crime in the country. If anything, they become more vulnerable to criminals, who will use any means at their disposal to commit their heinous acts. We can look to the example provided by England where, even with what can be called full disarmament, violent crime (especially home invasions) have not been reduced.

I fully support looking into ways to combat crime through Constitutionally acceptable means, whether it is with mental health screenings, fine-tuning the NICS processes, or tougher sentencing/policing through programs such as Project Exile. I cannot accept, however, attempts to limit the rights of American citizens through attacks on the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Tenth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution.

These attempts to restrict (if not outright eliminate) Americans' most basic rights cannot go unchallenged. I encourage all of us (and especially our leaders) to stand in defense of our rights, and place the blame and restrictions where they belong; with the unlawful actions of those bent on doing us harm.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm liking this Justin Ready guy...

Dear "Mr. H",

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me about possible new gun regulations that may be debated during the next Maryland Session. You and I are in agreement about the importance of maintaining 2nd Amendment rights in a time when understandable, legitimate sorrow and concern about the atrocity in New Town is being used by some as an opportunity to attack this important, Constitutional right.

During my first two years as a State Delegate I have been a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms responsibly. In that time I have co-sponsored legislation protecting legal gun owners rights, and in addition also co-sponsored legislation supporting concealed carry laws and state reciprocity involving the transport of firearms though Maryland.

I expect that this will be a tough legislative season in Maryland for gun owners in the wake of the horrific shootings, but I will continue to stand up for gun rights of legal owner’s and the protection of the Second Amendment. Attacking lawful gun ownership sends a troubling signal that the government not trusts its citizens and believes they should have fewer rights during dangerous periods. Ultimately, we need to recognize that we need a change to a culture of responsibility (which includes parents and close friends of these criminals) and a new vigilance in the area of mental health. Those are two areas that I plan to work on more closely in the upcoming Session and beyond.

Again, thank you for contacting me and sharing this information and for your support.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at Justin.Ready@house.state.md.us or 410-841-3070.

I look forward to hearing from you anytime.

All the other replies today have been auto, and nondescript... but I suppose they're in transition for session kickoff.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Dear [rambling_one]

I am sure this issue will be presented to the General Assembly this year and we will work to protect the constitutional rights of the citizens of this State while protecting our children and all citizens. Careful review and open dialogue is called for at this time. I am also a father, son, grandfather and understand your emotions and concerns.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance in the future.

Ted Sophocleus

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    You got that back from your representative?!

I've heard nothing from my reps...Valentino-Smith, Hubbard and Peters.

The positive response about which I think you're asking was received by addressing my missive to the entire assembly.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Happy New Year.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the laws relating to gun control policy in the State of Maryland. I appreciate hearing from you and having the benefit of your input.

On December 14, 2012, a 20-year-old gunman shot and killed twenty children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School before taking his own life. The horrific tragedy was the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history and brought renewed focus to the issue of gun control in the United States and in the State of Maryland.

As a community, we need to pause, reflect, and learn from this tragedy. If we are to reverse the tide of violence in America, the principles of nonviolence must be taught in our homes, schools and communities. We must work together to keep our state safe using common sense gun laws, improving mental health services, and instituting more effective policing strategies.

The Second Amendment guarantees the safe, regulated, ownership of guns designed for such reasonable purposes as hunting, target-shooting and self-defense in the home. I support this. However, the Second Amendment does not give a Constitutional right to own military-style assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines capable of firing hundreds of bullets per minute. In the 2008 Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision, Justice Scalia stated, "the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited." It is "not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."

Let us work together to ensure that all Marylanders have the right to live their daily lives and pursue their dreams, without fear, and do everything in our power to make our schools, colleges, places of worship, and our communities safe havens.

During the 2013 Legislative Session, I look forward to working with my colleagues in the Maryland General Assembly to explore ways we can reduce gun violence and improve public safety for all. I encourage you to follow legislation related to these issues by visiting the Maryland General Assembly’s website at:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home

Once again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Delegate Aruna Miller

House Office Building, Room 225

6 Bladen Street, Annapolis, MD 21401

(301) 858-3090, (410) 841-3090

Gary Smith, Legislative Aide

Mr H

Banana'd
    Dear [rambling_one]

I am sure this issue will be presented to the General Assembly this year and we will work to protect the constitutional rights of the citizens of this State while protecting our children and all citizens. Careful review and open dialogue is called for at this time. I am also a father, son, grandfather and understand your emotions and concerns.

Ted Sophocleus

Received the same message just now.

But got this one too (emphasis mine on areas of interest)

Dear "Mr H",

Happy New Year!

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the laws relating to gun control policy in the State of Maryland. I appreciate hearing from you and having the benefit of your input.

On December 14, 2012, a 20-year-old gunman shot and killed twenty children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School before taking his own life. The horrific tragedy was the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history and brought renewed focus to the issue of gun control in the United States and in the State of Maryland.

As a community, we need to pause, reflect, and learn from this tragedy. If we are to reverse the tide of violence in America, the principles of nonviolence must be taught in our homes, schools and communities. We must work together to keep our state safe using common sense gun laws, improving mental health services, and instituting more effective policing strategies.

The Second Amendment guarantees the safe, regulated, ownership of guns designed for such reasonable purposes as hunting, target-shooting and self-defense in the home. I support this. However, the Second Amendment does not give a Constitutional right to own military-style assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines capable of firing hundreds of bullets per minute. In the 2008 Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision, Justice Scalia stated, "the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited." It is "not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."

Let us work together to ensure that all Marylanders have the right to live their daily lives and pursue their dreams, without fear, and do everything in our power to make our schools, colleges, places of worship, and our communities safe havens.

During the 2013 Legislative Session, I look forward to working with my colleagues in the Maryland General Assembly to explore ways we can reduce gun violence and improve public safety for all. I encourage you to follow legislation related to these issues by visiting the Maryland General Assembly’s website at:

Once again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Delegate Aruna Miller

I think she is leaning against us at the moment, but I get the feeling she can be talked to.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    For what ever reason I am not using "insert link" properly. If someone would instruct me about inserting links in posts on MD Shooters and in the Civic Action Email System message box it would be appreciated. Tried the search function, but found no help.

The Harvard study and the FBI crime reports are recognize as authoritative and will get the attention of most recipients. No need for a whole lot of commentary about Harvard studies or FBI math by the sender.

Sent the below using Outlook to many politicians:

" Subject: Guns, murder and suicide

An unbiased study published in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy.

The conclusion is on pages page 693 and 694.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

You may need to copy and paste the link into your web browser to read the document.

Regards"

Response, in part, from Congressman Harris:

"Dear Mr. Cooper,

Thank you for forwarding my office the Harvard Journal of Law & Public
    Policy article. I will keep the author's thoughts in mind as upcoming
    legislation on gun control is presented in the U.S. House of
    Representatives.

Sincerely, Andy Harris, M.D.
    Member of Congress"

Seems to me the more senders and recipients of the Harvard and FBI info. the better.

Regards
    Jack

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Replied to this reply using the Harvard link.
    Jack

Dear Mr. Cooper,

Ted Sophocleus

To: Sophocleus, Ted Delegate
    Subject: Guns

Considering what happened in Norway, where "gun control" laws are among the tightest in the world, (over 60 killed, most were children) and what happened in Newtown where there are strict "gun control" laws, it seems to me, in that police cannot always be present, a great contribution to public safety, at no taxpayer expense, could be made by armed law-abiding citizens. At the very least the concept ought be given unbiased study.

W. Jack Cooper

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Received this email from Gail Bates yesterday in response to a certified letter which I sent to her Annapolis office.

Thank you for your extremely well written letter regarding the Constitutional Right to keep and bear arms.

I agree with you fully and will not vote to minimize gun rights for law abiding citizens.

Gail Bates

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012

Fine... I will agree to concede the thermonuclear devices if they will leave the rest alone.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Dear [rambling_one]

Thank you for contacting the office of Delegate Mary L. Washington in regards to the issues that matter to you the most.

Writing to your representatives is an important way to engage in the American democracy, and legislators value your input. Please find your local elected officials by using http://mdelect.net/ and engage with your constituency.

Again, thank you for contacting the 43rd Legislative District office.

Sincerely,

Ganesh Mysore

Communications Intern, Delegate Mary L. Washington

Baltimore City, District 43

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    ATTom Emails 1

This email was sent to all md senators / Representatives. In full disclosure ..i borrowed the FBI crime stats section from another member here.... It was very well done (i did rerun the math though ...it was all right:D)

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

It hurts this country to have seen the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Instead of working to increase school security measures or finding other ways of keeping our children safe, certain members of the state legislature are attempting to further restrict or outright ban ownership of semi-automatic rifles. These rifles are commonly coined “assault rifles” in an attempt to scare the uninformed into backing their ban. I would encourage you to reflect on the fact that Connecticut already has in place one of the most restrictive bans on semi-automatic weapons in the country and that more gun laws are not the answer.
    There was a time in this country (50 or so years ago) that guns were never locked up and children could grab their rifle and head off in the woods for an afternoon of hunting. There were no school shootings in this era of easier access to firearms. Clearly firearms are not the problem. Now some wish to restrict my access to semiautomatic rifles like the AR-15, one of the most popular hunting and target shooting rifles made right now.

I would like you to review the facts published by the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ables/table-20) as you consider gun control measures INTENDED to increase public safety by limiting access to modern sporting rifles (incorrectly labeled "Assault Rifles").

Here is my analysis of the statistics after the expiration of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act (commonly referred to as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban)...

In 2011, Maryland total murders were 398 and those by rifles (all, possibly including rifles not designated in potential gun control legislation) were 2 (0.5%).

In 2010, Maryland total murders were 424 and those by rifles were 3 (0.7%).

In 2009, Maryland total murders were 438 and those by rifles were 2 (0.5%).

In 2008, Maryland total murders were 493 and those by rifles were 4 (0.8%).

In 2007, Maryland total murders were 553 and those by rifles were 9 (1.6%).

In 2006, Maryland total murders were 546 and those by rifles were 5 (0.9%).

In 2005, Maryland total murders were 551 and those by rifles were 4 (0.7%).

In 2004, Maryland total murders were 520 and those by rifles were 2 (0.4%).
    GRAND TOTAL: Maryland murders were 3923 and those by rifles were 29 (0.74% - yes, zero point seven four percent) Additionally, it would be naive to think that these statistics would change significantly if new legislation limited access to certain rifles. Therefore, based on the FACTS as published by the FBI, any legislation that limits the law-abiding citizen's access to modern sporting rifles would not affect public safety. Any attempt to pass such legislation would be in spite of the facts and would only serve to further a personal political agenda.
    The majority of people will always trade away their liberty away for temporary security. The second Amendment is there to protect against rash judgments made in the heat of tragedy. The Bill of Rights isn't about what we need, but rather protects the God given rights we have from our Creator. I use semi-automatic rifles with standard capacity magazines to hunt and to target shoot with. Banning firearms won't stop tragedies like this. Criminals by nature don't follow firearm laws. What we need are legislators that will stand up and protect these constitutional rights. I encourage you to be one of those stood and defended our rights.
    Thank you,

My Name

Response 1:Cathy Vitale
    Dear Mr. My Name,

I appreciate your e-mail. Please know that I am an ardent supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights. I am sure there will be many bills introduced during the upcoming session on both sides of the 2nd Amendment issue, and I encourage you to consider testifying on any bills you feel strongly about.

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale - Anne Arundel County, District 33A

Response 2: Chairman Vallario
    Mr. My Name:
    Thank you for contacting Chairman Vallario. He will take into consideration your views regarding gun control legislation. Please feel free to update us as the session moves along.

V/R,
    Webster Ye- Assistant to the Chairman

Response 3: Delegate Kathy Szeliga
    Dear Mr. My Name,
    Thank you for emailing me about gun control.

I support our 2nd Amendment Rights. I also support right to carry laws. I am a NRA member and a GOA member. I even participated in an NRA Women on Target program at the Marriottsville gun range with my kids and it was terrific. We are all looking forward to doing that again.

As you know, Maryland is a difficult state to get meaningful gun rights bills passed. We are most often playing defense in this state. You can count on me to support the good gun bills and oppose those targeted at stripping away any rights that we have. I anticipate an enormous amount of discussion this upcoming Legislative Session. If you are interested in following the proposed laws, please follow this link:

In the right column under "What's Happening Now", click on "Track items of interest". This new service might be particularly helpful to you in following the debate on gun control in MD this Session.

I hope you will continue to communicate with me and call me if I can ever be of assistance to you and your family. Happy New Year to you.
    Sincerely yours,
    Delegate Kathy Szeliga
    District 7 - Baltimore & Harford County

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    ATTom Emails 2

Response 4: Del. Jon S. Cardin:
    Mr. My Name,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments on gun control legislation. Delegate Cardin is committed to hearing from both sides of the debate before making an informed decision on any issue, so your comments are very helpful towards this end. As session begins and bills are introduced, I look forward to hearing from you again on this or other matters important to you.

Best,
    Josh Greenfeld, Esquire
    Legislative Director to Del. Jon S. Cardin

Response 5:Justin Ready:
    Dear Mr. My Name,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me about possible new gun regulations that may be debated during the next Maryland Session. You and I are in agreement about the importance of maintaining 2nd Amendment rights in a time when understandable, legitimate sorrow and concern about the atrocity in New Town is being used by some as an opportunity to attack this important, Constitutional right.

During my first two years as a State Delegate I have been a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms responsibly. In that time I have co-sponsored legislation protecting legal gun owners rights, and in addition also co-sponsored legislation supporting concealed carry laws and state reciprocity involving the transport of firearms though Maryland.

I expect that this will be a tough legislative season in Maryland for gun owners in the wake of the horrific shootings, but I will continue to stand up for gun rights of legal owner’s and the protection of the Second Amendment. Attacking lawful gun ownership sends a troubling signal that the government not trusts its citizens and believes they should have fewer rights during dangerous periods. Ultimately, we need to recognize that we need a change to a culture of responsibility (which includes parents and close friends of these criminals) and a new vigilance in the area of mental health. Those are two areas that I plan to work on more closely in the upcoming Session and beyond.

Again, thank you for contacting me and sharing this information and for your support. Please feel free to contact me anytime at Justin.Ready@house.state.md.us or 410-841-3070. I look forward to hearing from you anytime.
    Sincerely,
    Justin Ready- Member, House of Delegates

Response 6:State Delegate Kipke:

And the weirdest......
    My Name,
    Thanks for writing. I will be sure to pass this on to Delegate Kipke.
    BTW- Did you ever get the mattress you needed?
    Thank you,
    Jeannie Garner
    Assistant to State Delegate Kipke

I responded that i had not inquired about a mattress and she stated she mixed up the names. I still wonder WTF a person was doing talking to their state delagate about a mattress:lol2:

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    And ******* in Charge...Brian Frosh.

Dear Mr. Hood:

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about gun control.

After the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, the message is clear: we must act now to protect our children, our families, and our communities from gun violence. That is why I plan to support a package of legislation that will reduce the prevalence of dangerous and illegal weapons in Maryland.

Marylanders need not fear that the legislature will take away their Second Amendment rights. I do not intend to prevent law-abiding individuals from keeping weapons that have a legitimate use. However, I do feel that our current gun laws need to be strengthened.

I am sorry that we disagree on this issue, but I appreciate having the benefit of your views. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
    Brian Frosh

The boldened line just makes me want to puke.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    Dear Supporter of the Second Amendment:

Initially I take this opportunity to thank you for your recent email whereby you expressed adamant opposition to additional Gun Control initiatives which will be introduced in the 2013 Legislative Session of the Maryland General Assembly. Since I have been literally inundated by communications such as yours, I hereby respond to same, and simultaneously set forth my sentiments on Gun Control.

By manner of introduction I am a six term Delegate to the Maryland General Assembly representing Allegany County. I am an attorney by profession and during my entire twenty three years as a member of the General Assembly I have been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee. It should be noted the Judiciary Committee is the Committee to which all House of Delegates “Gun” initiatives are assigned. On a personal note, I am lawful owner of firearms and on numerous occasions I have been honored by various Pro – Gun Organizations for my staunch, unwavering support of the Second Amendment. Further, I possess an “A+” NRA rating.

I totally share your assessment that the forthcoming Legislative Session will unfortunately serve as a giant soapbox for Anti-Second Amendment zealots to spew their Gun-Hating venom and to pursue their Gun-Prohibition agendas.

Facts, statistics and common sense will be totally ignored as certain individuals jockey before the media to get their “on air” and/or “in print” opportunity to demonize the NRA and the Second Amendment Rights which the NRA protects and promotes. Simultaneously, many of these “Bashers” of the Second Amendment will utilize their media opportunities to demean those who support the Second Amendment; inferring such individuals “are of a lesser sophistication.”

The Gun-Haters will proclaim to the media “They support the Second Amendment” and they only intend to make “reasonable and responsible changes to the gun laws.” However, these same individuals will never legitimately pursue investigation of the true causes of violence in our society, specifically, broken homes, children born out of wedlock, absence of family structure, pervasiveness of drugs, street gangs, issues of a failed Mental Health System and the promotion/ glorification of violence in movies, on television and in video games, all of which serve to desensitize youth to the actual carnage caused by violence.

Further penalizing lawful gun owners and denying Second Amendment rights to these law abiding individuals will not reduce violent crime. On the contrary, the opposite is true. If law abiding citizens are denied their Second Amendment right to own firearms, then in that event, the only people to have guns will be the criminals. As such, you may be assured I will continue to oppose, and I will continue to vote against, any and all Anti - Second Amendment, Gun Control initiatives. Finally, I submit for your review the following email, statistical information and news article which you may find of interest.

Once again, your expression of Second Amendment support is deeply appreciated and if I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,
    Kevin Kelly, Delegate

Allegany County

delegate.k.kelly@house.state.md.us

Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:19 PM
    To: mspsuperintendent@maryland.gov; marcus.brown@maryland.gov
    Cc: bernard.foster@maryland.gov; ronald.levitan@maryland.gov; gregory.shipley@maryland.gov; marlene.jenkins@maryland.gov; jack.mccauley@maryland.gov; jerry.beason@maryland.gov; john.cook@maryland.gov; laura.herman@maryland.gov; jack.simpson@maryland.gov; thomas.williams@maryland.gov; Friedman, Dan (OAG); Busch, Michael Delegate (Laptop); Vallario, Joseph Delegate (Laptop)
    Subject: Concerns pertaining to Freedom of Information "Gun Data" Requests.
    Importance: High

Colonel Marcus L. Brown

Superintendent – Maryland State Police

1201 Reisterstown Road

Pikesville, MD 21208-3899
    Re: Concerns pertaining to Freedom of Information “Gun Data” Requests

Dear Colonel Brown:

I briefly take this opportunity to relate specific concerns with Freedom of Information “Gun Data” requests which I anticipate will be made of MSP. First, I have provided an ABC News link regarding a highly publicized newspaper article, together with accompanying interactive map, published by a New York newspaper, The Journal News. This referenced news article / map provided the names and residence addresses of every individual who LAWFULLY owns a Handgun(s) in Westchester and Rockland Counties, New York. This Gun Data was obtained through Freedom of Information requests. To view the article /map please click on below link. Then in the article which appears please click on ”their names and addresses listed on a map.” Then scroll down map and click on purple dots.

I find the publication of such information extremely disturbing and frankly, quite frightening. If a criminal wants to break into a dwelling to steal “Legal Handguns” this published, interactive map will provide the culprit the exact residence address to Burglarize. Additionally, it is most distressing that Lawful Handgun Owners are being treated like Registered Sex Offenders. Aren’t these Lawful Handgun Owners entitled to a Right of Privacy? What specifically is to gained by the publication of this information? Finally, would MSP be required to provide such information if a similar Freedom of Information request was made of MSP?

Second, In the 1993 Legislative Session, during a time of heated gun control debate, the Baltimore Business Journal prominently published in its April 2-8, 1993 (Anti-Second Amendment) edition, under the Banner Headline of “Officials Carrying Handguns” the names of State legislators who possessed permits to carry handguns and the caliber of the Handguns they so carried. I recall this vividly since I was so listed. Interestingly, I have never possessed a concealed carry permit. As I further recall, most of the Legislators so identified did not possess concealed carry permits. The article should have been titled “Legislators Who legally Own Handguns.” After the incorrectly identified Legislators expressed outrage to Colonel Larry W. Tolliver, then Superintendent of the Maryland State Police, and to representatives of the Baltimore Business Journal the publication printed a “Correction” in the form of a “Letter To The Editor” from Colonel Tolliver. This correction was published on page 47 of the April 16-22, 1993 edition of the Baltimore Business Journal.

Hopefully, if contacted by the media or by others, The Maryland State Police will be mindful of the above presented issues and concerns when responding to Freedom Of Information “Gun Data” Requests.

With kindest regards, I remain

Very truly yours,

Kevin Kelly, Delegate

Allegany County

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I recieved the same e-mails from Del. Kelly and Del. Miller

My reply to Del. Miller
    Dear Delegate Miller:

A Happy New Year to you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my e-mail, I know that with the session starting today you will be very busy with a lot of issues.

I do ask that before voting on any firearm bills you consider the following:

1) How many laws does it take before a criminal or mentally unstable person takes notice?
    It seems in the gun man at Sandy Hook broke the following laws (and probably even more that I am not aware of):

A) Murdered his mother.
    B) Theft of of his dead mothers firearms and car
    C) Entering a Gun Free Zone with firearms
    D) 26 more murders
    E) Suicide ( I believe that is still against the law)

2) Only law abiding citizens and firearm dealers, manufacturers and their employees will be affected by more restrictions or bans.

3) In China on the same day a mentally unstable man entered a school with a knife and killed or seriously wounded 20 children before he could be stopped.

Logically more restrictions and laws are not the answer as they will not be followed or worked around by the type of people who want to commit such acts. So it does not seem that gun control is the issue, just a convenient scape goat to say that we can fix a problem.

Perhaps the answer would be to eliminate Gun Free Zones, allow teachers and staff that wish to do extra training the ability to do more than just plead with a deranged person intent on harming their charges.

Again I thank you for your time

Best wishes

Brychan

My Reply to Del. Kelly:

Delegate Kelly:

Happy New Year and the Best of Luck during this session.

Thank you for your reply and support of the Second Amendment.

Please let me know if I can in any way help you with this years attack on the Second Amendment.

Best wishes

Brychan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom