• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    Gents, Does anybody have comments good or bad about this supplier or about these components?

https://sandersarmoryusa.com/product/16-6-8-spc-complete-upper-assembly-with-bcg/

I bought a 6.5 Grendel upper from them two years ago and it is a great shooter. It's of good quality, for the money. The barrel looks like it was supplied by a big company but are not stamped or branded. They are basic, but if you aren't sure about getting into that caliber or perhaps money is tight, you could do much worse than Sanders. And they give you several options for customizing the upper.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    1-10 is the twist rate for the 270 Winchester. It's too fast for best performance with the 6.8 SPC using the heavier bullets. Works okay with the 90 gr bullets but accuracy is not great with 110-115 gr bullets. Just from my experience and others on the 6.8 forum.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    1-10 is the twist rate for the 270 Winchester. It's too fast for best performance with the 6.8 SPC using the heavier bullets. Works okay with the 90 gr bullets but accuracy is not great with 110-115 gr bullets. Just from my experience and others on the 6.8 forum.

Why would a faster twist hurt accuracy on longer projectiles and not shorter ones? As background, I'm asking with legitimate curiosity and not as an argument. From what I know, longer bullets need more stabilization because the center of gravity is further back from the pressure on the front, making them easier to yaw and tumble. If a twist is too fast and overstabilizes things, I should be a problem with the lighter/faster bullets that physically spin faster(with the increased velocity) and have less of a need for stabilization. So, why would a fast twist harm accuracy on longer bullet choices but not shorter ones?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why would a faster twist hurt accuracy on longer projectiles and not shorter ones? As background, I'm asking with legitimate curiosity and not as an argument. From what I know, longer bullets need more stabilization because the center of gravity is further back from the pressure on the front, making them easier to yaw and tumble. If a twist is too fast and overstabilizes things, I should be a problem with the lighter/faster bullets that physically spin faster(with the increased velocity) and have less of a need for stabilization. So, why would a fast twist harm accuracy on longer bullet choices but not shorter ones?

That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. I'm basing my feedback on experiences of myself and a lot of other people who have shot thousands of rounds of 6.8 through different configurations.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Interesting comments. I would tend to think that the issue lies with the bullets rather than the rate of twist. Jim, what are they saying about bullets heavier than 110-115gr.? Is anyone using heavier bullets, say, 130gr even as single load? I have been kicking around the idea of building a 6.8spc or possibly a 6mm/6.8.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I tried a few and I wasn't impressed with 130s. They intrude too far into the case or they stick out too far and get stuck in the lands. Speed out of most barrels is under 2400 fps.
    110 gr Accubonds have a much higher BC than advertised, so that's my go to bullet for this caliber. Someone makes a 120, which is a nice balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom