• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The Senate did change up its agenda at the last minute and brought up SB1000 for third reader and vote last night. Sen Ready gave a great speech to encourage them not to pass. One other senator raised the obvious issue with getting rid of the only citizen check to the power of the state. Despite this, it passed 30-16 (with a gallery of WE WILL NOT COMPLY shirts watching) and is now on its way to the House.

Senator Salling (LD 6)

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Both senators were truly moved by the gravity of the proposed bill, and gave impassioned speeches. You could feel their sincerity, as opposed to the rebuttal. That sounded more like displeasure at being contradicted.

One CRITICAL question:
    Did anyone who attended the last HPRB meeting observe the Board award a C&W to a Prohibited Person, as intimated in the rebuttal?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The most interesting thing last night was Sen Miller explaining his idea of a serious amendment. His idea of serious amendment is one that he will agree with. He told the senators that if they don't have a serious amendment by this measure to not waste the Senate's time, since that's a way to kill bills. This was in relation to a bill that would impact hardworking people of Maryland in the fishing industry. The senator did offer her serious amendment as serious anyway, which it was!

As such, Sen Miller explained the process to kill a bill in the MD Senate. All who heard his explanation should take note and proceed in earnest should HB0740/HB0786 (or any others) come out of committee to the Senate floor.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Do we know who any of the OAH judges are who were ‘trained’ to hear these cases? I wonder if it will even be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HMFIC is a holdover from Zero'Malley, appointed to a 6 year term expiring next year.

http://www.oah.state.md.us/ChiefJudge.aspx

He is the one who hires lawyers off the street to be the office-level ALJs. Looking at this crowd,

http://www.oah.state.md.us/Aljbios.aspx

no amount of training is ever going to produce a verdict favorable to an honest citizen. Which is why they so desperately want to take the HPRB out of the way of further infringements.

Both senators were truly moved by the gravity of the proposed bill, and gave impassioned speeches. You could feel their sincerity, as opposed to the rebuttal. That sounded more like displeasure at being contradicted.

One CRITICAL question:

Did anyone who attended the last HPRB meeting observe the Board award a C&W to a Prohibited Person, as intimated in the rebuttal?

This absolutely, 100% DID NOT HAPPEN! For every prohibited person who came before the board MSP was upheld. One of the board members is a lawyer, another is a Montgomery County police officer, I've been told that the DPSCS administrator who attends most (if not all) of the hearings is also a lawyer, and the AAG assigned to DPSCS is also usually there. With the amount of expertise in the room most of the time, someone would have caught it if the board tried to consider finding in favor of a prohibited person.

I think what is being spun up here is one particular case I witnessed, as reported by one of the Marylanders to Prevent Guns stenographers in the joint Senate hearing on the bill. Similar to the old game of Telephone, she either didn't understand what was happening at the board meeting, or just outright lied about it. Neither possibility would surprise me. In the hearing in question, the applicant had one conviction from the early 2000's, and an otherwise clean record. The board upheld the denial, as they had to. At that point, I think it was the MSP who mentioned that he could get the conviction expunged since it was more than a decade old. There was further conversation among the applicant, the MSP and the board during which the applicant asked how to go about getting an expungement and was given information by both a board member and the MSP. Bottom line: talk to your lawyer who handled the original case, he can do it for you. The MSP even said that if he re-applied after getting the expungement he would be approved for a business owner permit.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

...This absolutely, 100% DID NOT HAPPEN! For every prohibited person who came before the board MSP was upheld. One of the board members is a lawyer, another is a Montgomery County police officer, I've been told that the DPSCS administrator who attends most (if not all) of the hearings is also a lawyer, and the AAG assigned to DPSCS is also usually there. With the amount of expertise in the room most of the time, someone would have caught it if the board tried to consider finding in favor of a prohibited person.

...I think what is being spun up here is one particular case I witnessed, as reported by one of the Marylanders to Prevent Guns stenographers in the joint Senate hearing on the bill. Similar to the old game of Telephone, she either didn't understand what was happening at the board meeting, or just outright lied about it. Neither possibility would surprise me. In the hearing in question, the applicant had one conviction from the early 2000's, and an otherwise clean record. The board upheld the denial, as they had to. At that point, I think it was the MSP who mentioned that he could get the conviction expunged since it was more than a decade old. There was further conversation among the applicant, the MSP and the board during which the applicant asked how to go about getting an expungement and was given information by both a board member and the MSP. Bottom line: talk to your lawyer who handled the original case, he can do it for you. The MSP even said that if he re-applied after getting the expungement he would be approved for a business owner permit.

There's one WITNESS' testimony. Anyone else?

This may be another, bigger nail in the coffin of this FSA2013 Phase II railroad job. Speaker Miller definitely misrepresented the "Emergency" nature of this bill.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There's one WITNESS' testimony. Anyone else?

This may be another, bigger nail in the coffin of this FSA2013 Phase II railroad job. Speaker Miller definitely misrepresented the "Emergency" nature of this bill.

I live streamed most of the meeting. Zero prohibited persons receiving favorable decisions to overturn the Secretary. None of the applicants were a prohibited person.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Half our legislation is based on outright falsehoods.

So long as the majority of the voters approve of the spirit behind the lies, no change will occur.

So long as our legislators are comfortable pandering to the misinformed, idiots will rule.

So long as the money keeps flowing, it will be business as usual. When the cash flow dries up, that's when we'll have real problems.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Our legislators are not pandering to the misinformed. They're pandering to the lobbyists like Bloomberg that control a lot of the money

It's the misinformed who supply the votes the legislators need to stay latched onto the money teat.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I live streamed most of the meeting. Zero prohibited persons receiving favorable decisions to overturn the Secretary. None of the applicants were a prohibited person.

Half our legislation is based on outright falsehoods.

So long as the majority of the voters approve of the spirit behind the lies, no change will occur.

So long as our legislators are comfortable pandering to the misinformed, idiots will rule.

So long as the money keeps flowing, it will be business as usual. When the cash flow dries up, that's when we'll have real problems.

It's the misinformed who supply the votes the legislators need to stay latched onto the money teat.

OK, so is there any way that we can turn this to OUR advantage in the near and/or long term? We now have her documented as lying to promote her viewpoint.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Our legislators are not pandering to the misinformed. They're pandering to the lobbyists like Bloomberg that control a lot of the money

Not really since lobbyists are limited to same limit on contributions that you and I are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom