• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Soaking in mineral spirits, with a little periodic agitation; really helps the cosmoline slough off.

^^^This^^^. Every time I’ve used it (I use low odor min sprits) it literally MELTS the cosmoline off!

IME, Hoppes is pretty much useless on cosmoline ... (and most other substances, heresy, I know .... flame suit on :)

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    At one point I had a section of stove pipe with caps on both ends. I mounted bulbs on each cap and put a section of metal gutter guard that slid in and out. Laid out disassembled mosin and let the heat melt the cosmo. I had a grill thermometer in the center. Worked pretty well. Saw it on YouTube I think 10 years ago.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ended up with 3 failures to extract in the first magazine. Then zero failures out of 32 rounds in the other two magazines. So I’ve set asides the one mag, just in case it was that one and next range trip I’ll try it again. I’ll soak it in a little mineral spirits first just in case. Nothing obviously up with it and no clue how it could cause extraction issues (that’s what appeared to be happening.

I didn’t strip the slide completely, because I didn’t want to punch out the extractor pin. It had what looked like primer sealant caked on the top of the extractor. I did hold out the extractor the best I could and cleaned that off. I’ll also hit it with a little CLP along the extractor before the next range trip.

Might have just needed a few rounds to get it running right and nothing is actually wrong.

On the upside, after occasional issues with my Glock 80% build, that got transferred to a serialized frame, I am now up to at least 250+ rounds through it without a single failure or issue. And the fiber 3-dot sights definitely improved my accuracy. Still not fantastic, but I punched 90% of ~60 rounds in to a 5” group at 22ish yards off hand.

Also tried my buddy’s 44 mag. Then shot the model 70 again. Thought I had a squib. Even dropped the mag, locked the slide back and peered down the barrel. Nope. Just that after a 44mag, a .32acp out of a steel handgun feels like it has no recoil!

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    At one point I had a section of stove pipe with caps on both ends. I mounted bulbs on each cap and put a section of metal gutter guard that slid in and out. Laid out disassembled mosin and let the heat melt the cosmo. I had a grill thermometer in the center. Worked pretty well. Saw it on YouTube I think 10 years ago.

I built one, but what size bulb do you use. I can't seem to get mine hot enough

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I used the halogen style bulb that seemed to get hotter. In winter I would lay a blanket over the tube in garage. Just be careful the stock is not right by the bulb or you may get some blistering. I also got a second cap with another light fixture to even out heat. It was satisfying seeing tons of cosmo under the gutter screen. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom