Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 23rd, 2020, 06:11 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
"These are C&R, but NOT antiques"

I thought all Chilean 1895 Mausers were pre-1899.

I remember many years ago someone at a Maryland show, maybe PG county, was selling piles of these for IIRC $99. The catch was they had been converted to .308
Converted to .308 was a hack job. however in the 50's The Chilean army pulled some (lowe & Dwm) out of mothballs & rearsenalled them to 7.62 NATO.

I picked up one that's a Lowe pre-'99 that was pretty ugly but, pretty cheap. Then I did (well mostly had done) a bit of work... once the can is off, still not a firearm ; ) Not in the pic, I also moded an elastic butt cartridge holder two carry two clips.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dovk0802; June 24th, 2020 at 07:27 AM.
Dovk0802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2020, 06:30 PM #22

Overpriced junk.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
capt14k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2020, 04:23 PM #23
Powered by natural gas

Powered by natural gas

I got a Chilean Mauser years ago for 150. It was converted to 308, but after reading about the conversions, I shot a small handfull of lower powered 7.62 Cetme ammo thru it, then the plastic German training rounds. Sold it, and got a Spanish 308 Mauser I like better. Fun rifle, cheap to shoot.

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2020, 08:43 PM #24

Wow,, I am sure this is just a Pandemic price. They are outrageous.

I have a 1895 and a 1912 that I bought at Woolworth(Tysons corner) and I paid like under $100 each.
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:21 AM #25
West of Morning Side

West of Morning Side

Some of the Chileans, maybe all, I've only seen a few, were questionable. The Arsenal bored and rifled to .308 dimensions, then soldered a chamber insert for 7.62 x 51. I've seen pictures of cracked barrels and flame cutting at the throat/chamber solder joint.
The Spanish 93s were rebored and rifled, then set back and rechambered.
I posted the Spanish Dept of Armaments booklet for the re-arsenaled 7.62 NATO Model 93s in GTODave's thread.
Not saying 93s are safe to shoot with 308. Just pointing out that they were not intended for the CETME round, it was an approved alternate ammunition until the CETME round was withdrawn/used up.
Old June 28th, 2020, 12:41 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-43 View Post
Some of the Chileans, maybe all, I've only seen a few, were questionable. The Arsenal bored and rifled to .308 dimensions, then soldered a chamber insert for 7.62 x 51. I've seen pictures of cracked barrels and flame cutting at the throat/chamber solder joint.
The Spanish 93s were rebored and rifled, then set back and rechambered.
I posted the Spanish Dept of Armaments booklet for the re-arsenaled 7.62 NATO Model 93s in GTODave's thread.
Not saying 93s are safe to shoot with 308. Just pointing out that they were not intended for the CETME round, it was an approved alternate ammunition until the CETME round was withdrawn/used up.
White Labs did a test on the 7.62/.308 Spanish conversions a few decades back when they first came around from SAMCO that seemed to put the issue to rest. They had to double-load a high-pressure .308 round to make it fail and even then, the failure was not catastrophic (no injury to a shooter).

As for OWS/Gibbs/Navy, I've found some good deals there in recent history, but under the OWS banner and not mucked about with like these have been.
tallen702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:49 AM #27
West of Morning Side

West of Morning Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen702 View Post
White Labs did a test on the 7.62/.308 Spanish conversions a few decades back when they first came around from SAMCO that seemed to put the issue to rest. They had to double-load a high-pressure .308 round to make it fail and even then, the failure was not catastrophic (no injury to a shooter).
LOL
I threw in the disclaimer about shooting 308 to stay out of frays with idjuts. I don't want to hear from professional blow hards who don't believe facts over their beloved myths. I posted real, primary documentation. If someone posts a picture it's one of two Swedish rilfes. One blew up with Swedish Army issue 6.5x55 when shot by a reservist. The other is an overload of pistol powder in a reload. The owner admits he did it, but still posts the pictures claiming Swedish Mausers may be unsafe. Uh, dude, you f'd up.
Neither case involves Spanish re-arsenaled '93s (or 1916s).
Don't even get me started on 7.62 is lower pressure than 308. 2k psi if measured by the same method. Not 10k or 12k. But hey, I comprehend the difference between CUP and Piezo transducer methods. The guy who knew a guy who told a story about some other guy does not.
Old June 30th, 2020, 06:53 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-43 View Post
LOL
I threw in the disclaimer about shooting 308 to stay out of frays with idjuts. I don't want to hear from professional blow hards who don't believe facts over their beloved myths. I posted real, primary documentation. If someone posts a picture it's one of two Swedish rilfes. One blew up with Swedish Army issue 6.5x55 when shot by a reservist. The other is an overload of pistol powder in a reload. The owner admits he did it, but still posts the pictures claiming Swedish Mausers may be unsafe. Uh, dude, you f'd up.
Neither case involves Spanish re-arsenaled '93s (or 1916s).
Don't even get me started on 7.62 is lower pressure than 308. 2k psi if measured by the same method. Not 10k or 12k. But hey, I comprehend the difference between CUP and Piezo transducer methods. The guy who knew a guy who told a story about some other guy does not.
I know! It's insane how many people just regurgitate the same crap over and over. My favorite is one you covered earlier. The "They were meant for 7.62 CETME" line....

Oh well, it made it way easier for me to snap a bunch up cheap back when SAMCO was still up and running.
tallen702 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)