Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 29th, 2020, 12:55 AM #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
No, what we got was a reversible executive branch action on one narrow thing when, in the wake of two hugely high profile mass shootings, we were otherwise about to get much MUCH worse actual legislation. Legislation that would have included stuff beyond just the bump stocks. After Vegas, it was going to happen. It got dumbed down and narrowed down to the least bad thing it could have been compared to what there was strong House and enough Senate support to do as actual law.

What happened behind the scenes, to limit the unavoidable damage, was very well documented. Not sure why people forget the relevant details.

The continuous barrage of media Trump-hatred, along with the distortions, half-truths and outright lies, tends to bury rational thought as peoples' minds are swamped with ever more ridiculous vituperation.

Meanwhile, the No Shades Of Grey people can see things only in black and white; anything that isn't absolutely for them is absolutely against them.

Both sides are guilty of this closed-minded thinking. It's a natural result of being buried in BSm 24/7/365.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: “No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.”
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2020, 07:09 AM #42
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
The continuous barrage of media Trump-hatred, along with the distortions, half-truths and outright lies, tends to bury rational thought as peoples' minds are swamped with ever more ridiculous vituperation.

Meanwhile, the No Shades Of Grey people can see things only in black and white; anything that isn't absolutely for them is absolutely against them.

Both sides are guilty of this closed-minded thinking. It's a natural result of being buried in BSm 24/7/365.
Nice post Bob A. So much truth.
I learned a new word today.
Old June 29th, 2020, 07:13 AM #43
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Nice post Bob A. So much truth.
I learned a new word today.
Ridiculous vituperation.

Exceeded the MDS syllabic pentameter. May be a new record.

Almost ten in two. Wow. I’m humbled.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:18 AM #44

We’ve been fighting a losing battle IMO. I see no need to accelerate the pace by playing into democrats hands and infighting with one of the lobbies they fear the most. As long as the NRA irritates and obstructs Democrats, I will support them.

And let’s not throw out the baby with the bath water. The NRA trains instructors and RSOs, coaches, etc., to a national standard, they help in range developmemt, sponsoring and running matches, all manner of things that we should all support. If the efforts of the NRA- ILA or NRA-PVF run counter to your interests, don’t support them. Personally, I wouldn’t give another nickel to GOA. In my opinion all they do is bitch and moan and hurl dirt at the NRA and others that don’t bitch and moan as loudly as they do. The biggest bang for the buck, again IMO, is the SAF and grassroots organizations like MSI.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty

Last edited by DanGuy48; June 29th, 2020 at 12:54 PM.
DanGuy48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:23 AM #45
Long Shot

Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
I'm ashamed that half the country and almost the entire media/academia complex is aggressively pursuing a meat puppet candidate and puppeteers so wildly, insanely worse (than Trump) that we have to even contemplate how awful them winning would be. We dodged a bullet with that in 2016, and need to do it again. I would love a philosopher king type genius orator with liberty on his mind as our candidate, but that person doesn't exist (or at least, isn't willing to have his or her life and family ruined by the media). So we do what we must, and decide we really don't take Trump's manners personally. The people on the left shrieking out their TDS are the ones who take it personally, like children always do.

No chief executive is or should be my moral guide, or my personal inspiration, or the person who tells me how or what to do. It's an important gig running one branch of the government, not my daddy. As it happens, considering who and what wants to take over that job, we're fortunate to have a guy who really doesn't care what most people think about him personally. And who is just trying to get shit done despite historically unprecedented - even criminal - push back and sabotage. I don't have to feel personal shame at tolerating his shortcomings, because I didn't make a bad call voting to prevent the Clinton machine from retaking the White House.

Yea, I keep forgetting. "moral character is not a requirement for political leadership". s%#t...
Old June 29th, 2020, 10:19 AM #46
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2207 View Post
Yea, I keep forgetting. "moral character is not a requirement for political leadership". s%#t...
You’re pretending to confuse a moral stance (on, say, continuing endless wars or fighting Chinese economic espionage or naming constitutionalist justices or tackling prison reform etc) with annoying mannerisms. Not fooling anyone.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2020, 10:23 AM #47
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2207 View Post
I don't know if the rules have changed but, back in the day, the Federal Aviation Regulations stated that to hold an Airline Transport Rating, you had to be of good moral character.

Imagine that, people responsible for other people's lives had to be of good moral character but congress critters, who have a great effect over people's lives don't.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2020, 11:50 PM #48
Not Banned Yet

Not Banned Yet

I just donated $100 to SAF and GOA last month. I'll never give NRA a cent until they acknowledge their corruption and restructure.
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:34 AM #49

I have not been a member for a very long time and only joined last year because I was planning to shoot @ AGC. Never could put the fee together for the range badge due to budget constraints so it ended up being a waste of money, IMO.

The NRA has been selling out it's members for at least the last 50 years while it's leadership has done very well for itself! It was a great concept that has failed because of corruption which finds it's way into anything involving money and power!

Evil is everywhere in this world. Trust is a very rare commodity!
GuitarmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:57 AM #50
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

Ollie North was spot on.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues