Survival/ backpacking knife recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am wanting to get a good quality survival knife I can actually use. I want something that will hold an edge, can cut small limbs/chop some wood, had a solid butt for hammering/smashing skulls :party29: and comes with a quality sheath.

I have a few Gerber knives, a Spyderco or two and a Buck, but I want something with a fixed blade and durable.

Gerber made a Bear Grylls fixed blade does what you discribe. I have only bummed around the woods with mine for only 4 months but am very happy.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    New_BK-2__2_A.jpg

KaBar 5" Becker $70

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I use a Marine Kabar. I did make some changes though. First I took off the black powder coating and cold blued it, then I took the clip point off and made the tip of the blade straight...finally a sharpening on the belt sander with a leather strop put a shaving sharp edge on it.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I just got the exact same knife with the OD blade as a gift from my GF. Nothing comes close to quallity and build finish in that price range. Can be had for $130 and is pretty much indestructble.

Now that I have the 5, I want the 3 and the Jungalas.

I was going to recommend the Junglass. It's my only ESEE.

junglas1.jpg

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    I have an esee 6. Love it. I am going to get the junglas next. Not to mention, ESEE knives have the absolute best warranty of any knife out there. Full lifetime warranty for any reason at all, and it follows the knife, not the buyer. So even if you get a used one, it still has the warranty.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Have you thought about an M11? You can find them at military surplus for cheap. I use an M9 I had professionally sharpened...haven't had an issue with it in 10 years.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This is mine. Gerber LMK except mine is more of a light green. Comes with the drop leg type sheath with is some type of polymer that you don't even need to have snapped...when you put the knife in, it "clicks" in the sheath and holds in place very well.

Has a built in sharpener (not sure how good, haven't used it), and the butt end is a window (or skull) smasher.

Overall pretty heavyduty knife with a thick blade but I LOVE the grip and it feels great. Full tang of course. I think the blade is like 5" and the handle is almost as long.

It was like $60-70 I think

MyGerberbaby.jpg

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    For those of you that have the gerber LMF or the bear grylls version. Do not baton with it. The plastic insert at the top will eventually snap loose and fall out. If you want an all around survival knife that is not it. Its a good knife just not for that purpose.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    For those of you that have the gerber LMF or the bear grylls version. Do not baton with it. The plastic insert at the top will eventually snap loose and fall out. If you want an all around survival knife that is not it. Its a good knife just not for that purpose.

They fixed that and the LMF is made differently. I believe the BG is a metal butt cap while the LMF is a window breaker, not a cap.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    They fixed that and the LMF is made differently. I believe the BG is a metal butt cap while the LMF is a window breaker, not a cap.

Im referring to the plastic insert at the top of the handle. Not the problem with the broken tail pieces. There are multiple videos online showing this part breaking when batoning and this has not been fixed. The BG knife is a POS in my estimation. The LMF is made much better all the way around. But still fails when batoning so it is not a survival knife. It is an infantry knife.

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    Trust me, Once you Hold and use an ESEE, there is nothing that comes close in the price range. They are value at what you get for you money.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Im referring to the plastic insert at the top of the handle. Not the problem with the broken tail pieces. There are multiple videos online showing this part breaking when batoning and this has not been fixed. The BG knife is a POS in my estimation. The LMF is made much better all the way around. But still fails when batoning so it is not a survival knife. It is an infantry knife.

What are you talking about "batoning" a knife?

I don't understand what you guys are looking for in a "survival" knife.

If I'm in the woods in a "survival" situation, I'm not going to be chopping wood or anything like that with my knife. Whittling trigger for a dead fall maybe and cleaning fish or game to cook yes. But if I need to cut firewood or something, I'll break it in between to close trees or I'll just let the fire itself burn it in half. I'm not seeing how its necessary to have a hatchet head with a knife handle. I don't want anything like a khukri or the like. Give me a little 4" hunting knife that will hold an edge and I'll survive just fine.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    This is mine. Gerber LMK except mine is more of a light green. Comes with the drop leg type sheath with is some type of polymer that you don't even need to have snapped...when you put the knife in, it "clicks" in the sheath and holds in place very well.

Has a built in sharpener (not sure how good, haven't used it), and the butt end is a window (or skull) smasher.

Overall pretty heavyduty knife with a thick blade but I LOVE the grip and it feels great. Full tang of course. I think the blade is like 5" and the handle is almost as long.

It was like $60-70 I think

MyGerberbaby.jpg

I have one two and its a favorite and cheap enough you are not afraid to use it as a tool. I love the expensive stuff, but the reality is feld knifes are tools and need to be durable, sharp, hold an edge, yet be cheap enough if it gets bent or lost in a river you can afford to buy another!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom