Survival/ backpacking knife recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    If you want to go less tactical and more bushcraft there is the condor bushcraft which is probably the best value in that type of knife. That said I just ordered a Blind Horse Knife that should be here the beginning of July.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Cold Steel SRK Recon Scout

Another good choice is the Camillus USMC Fighting Knife, this is the big black version of the KaBar.

SRK is great knife too I keep one in my truck with a Gerber multilool strapped to the sheath with zip ties .:thumbsup: No pommel for hammering though :sad20: But theres also a eastwing hatchet in the truck for that :D

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    img_0075.jpg

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Check out the ESEE-3 or 4. I have the 3 and like it a lot.

I'm with DZ, I took my ESEE-5 camping with me and ended up using it to hack branches off of thicker pieces...mine also has the serrated edges, not the plain blade like this one...
    esee-5.jpg

Blades are about 1/4" thick also...

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    I'm with DZ, I took my ESEE-5 camping with me and ended up using it to hack branches off of thicker pieces...mine also has the serrated edges, not the plain blade like this one...
    esee-5.jpg

Blades are about 1/4" thick also...

I just got the exact same knife with the OD blade as a gift from my GF. Nothing comes close to quallity and build finish in that price range. Can be had for $130 and is pretty much indestructble.

Now that I have the 5, I want the 3 and the Jungalas.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Different knives for different purposes. If I could only have one it would be a fixed-blade bowie like a Kabar or something similar but those are too large for most common tasks.

I use a Mora camping, makes a great cooking knife and keeps an edge. Very inexpensive.

I also bring a cheap kukri (ghurka) camping for chopping tasks. It's pretty efficient at splitting wood, not as good as as axe but fine for survival and much handier than a full-blown machete. Traditional ones are made from truck leaf springs and will handle all the abuse you can throw at them.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Mora makes great quality blades for an amazing price. For most detailed tasks, its really hard to beat when you consider the price.

Cold steel has a new knife coming out soon called the Leatherneck. Basically a Ka-bar upgraded with SK5 steel, full flat ground blade, full tang and a kydex sheath. Should be a solid performer, if a little heavy.

http://www.coldsteel.com/leatherneck-sf.html

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    bark river. the owner is the original owner of blackjack knives. barkriver is american made and owned. great guy actually fixed a blackjack knife i had for many years even after he sold the company. did it free plus shipping.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Mora makes great quality blades for an amazing price. For most detailed tasks, its really hard to beat when you consider the price.

Cold steel has a new knife coming out soon called the Leatherneck. Basically a Ka-bar upgraded with SK5 steel, full flat ground blade, full tang and a kydex sheath. Should be a solid performer, if a little heavy.

http://www.coldsteel.com/leatherneck-sf.html

again...way too big a knife for general survival/backpacking. If you're going to go cold steel, their master hunter is a phenomenal knife. The vg1 san mai laminate steel holds a really nice edge and is very durable. If you want to pay more than what you would on the field pup, the master hunter is the way to go.
    http://www.coldsteel.com/masterhunter.html

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I ended up getting a Buck Hoodlum. Awesome knife. Took it last week on my trip and it works very well for chopping small branches, splitting wood and general uses.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    im going to be getting a cold steel kukri machete for my backpacking utility blade. re-edge it with whatever sharpener i decide to go with (so i can resharpen it easily in the field) and pretty much call it a day. cold steel is only good for the machete line...their tough as nails and dirt cheap...

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    KaBar has a new line of zomie killer knives so they call them . Havnt seen one in person but here theyare .

Attachments

• 207885_ts.jpg
      207885_ts.jpg
      3.6 KB · Views: 386
    • 207886_ts.jpg
      207886_ts.jpg
      2.9 KB · Views: 377
    • 207888_ts.jpg
      207888_ts.jpg
      2.9 KB · Views: 352

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts