• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucephalus

Aug 27, 2008
    Any insight as to which of the above may be better/not better over the other is appreciated. Thank you.

jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    I've used SOG knives for years. I've never had one break. I can't say the same for the Gerber's I've owned. When I buy knives now it's either a fixed blade SOG or a Benchmade for folders.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've had good luck with fixed blade Gerbers, though I've been underwhelmed with the quality on their multi tools (after using a friends, I'd never buy one). But the SOGS I've had/seen have never been anything but the best.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    gerber is fiskars...go with the sog. one thing japan does very well is machine steel. Gerber's niche is to take a design from a great manufacturer, copy it, make it with crappy steel and sell it for cheap. if you want cheap knock-around knives that you don't mind sharpening all the time get a gerber, if you want a quality piece that'll hold an edge go with benchmade or sog or someone like that.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I would characterize the SOG as more of a fighting style knife and the LMF as more of a utility blade (even though LMF= light military fighter). I think the LMF is probably a better overall choice as an all-around knife that can be used for things like prying. This is not a shot at SOG, they make a good product and the SP is a good knife.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I would characterize the SOG as more of a fighting style knife and the LMF as more of a utility blade (even though LMF= light military fighter). I think the LMF is probably a better overall choice as an all-around knife that can be used for things like prying. This is not a shot at SOG, they make a good product and the SP is a good knife.

I agree. I loved my SOG SEAL and still enjoy my SEAL Pup. But depending on what you want the knife for would depend on which to choose. Based solely on construction, quality and ergonomics, I'd take the SOG. All the SOG knives I have ever had have been stellar performers. I do think the blade shape of the Gerber is better for general utility work though.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    good post. the sharpener built into the lmf sheath is a cool idea too. The downfall is lmf's use of 12c27 while sog uses aus-8 for the seal pup. aus-8 is what cold steel makes most of their knives from and when properly heat treated punks 12c27 pretty well for most categories. depending on what size you want, sog also makes a bowie with a more utilitarian design and solid steel pommel on it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I bought an LMF off LA Police Gear about a year and a half ago and it has globe trotted with me. Good knife, good tool, however I havent subjected it to that much.

I would get one if you want a good length fixed blade its as good as any if you care for it.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The Gerber Silver Trident was the best feeling knife I've ever handled. But the ridiculous price tag keeps me from owning one.:sad20:

Stitch81

Mar 27, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I have both, the lmf II and the sp. I've used the sp for more of smaller utility work, however I have used the lmf for slightly heavier tasks like light chopping of wood when I forgot my hatchet and it held up well very minor dulling of the blade. there is a weight difference so if you haven't made your choice yet I would suggest you figure out what you want to do with it first. Also a guy on youtube has done several knife tests and reviews. if you want to give it a look his page is "equip2endure"

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I shall end this debate...

the CRKT SS7

onstumpwithscabbard.jpg

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Double plus good for Benchmade & Sog; You also might look at a "Made in USA" Schrade Golden Spike knife (they're made in China now and use crappy steel from what I've heard) but find an older one on e-bay and they're worth their weight in gold. Definitely Benchmade for a folder, I'll second Ontario/SOG knives for a fixed blade as well.

My suggestion, check out Cabelas' knife selection. Many of their knives have "Cabelas Only" upgrades such as the Benchmade Griptillian that has a D2 Tool steel blade over the 154cm blade that comes on mainstream griptillians. So you could plausibly get a Gerber Gator from there (the Cabelas knife uses S30V).

tkmiralles

Feb 10, 2010
    SOG vs Gerber.

I have a few of each. The Gerbers are nice, the SOG's are great. Get the SOG! The PUP is hard to beat. Check out the 2000 it is insane! The Trident folder is my daily carry knife. SOG, good enough for our Nations finest. Good enough for me. Go SEALS! Go SOG! Obama blows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom