• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Here’s the colt pistol. The bayo is elsewhere. But can post bayo this wknd.

Attachments

• CAB9CDE6-282D-469B-9F11-9C274D630C44.jpg
      CAB9CDE6-282D-469B-9F11-9C274D630C44.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 520
    • BD99318A-D49C-4FBC-ABF4-2A744E829DA9.jpg
      BD99318A-D49C-4FBC-ABF4-2A744E829DA9.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 516
    • 6C9A34C6-5C2B-44E4-B70F-F897F69D3E31.jpg
      6C9A34C6-5C2B-44E4-B70F-F897F69D3E31.jpg
      112 KB · Views: 511
    Jul 1, 2012
    Looks to be in really nice shape especially for that vintage.
    Love the 1911 patent date rollmark and the "keyhole" mag.
    Is the rust speckling stabilized?

Stagstalker

Jan 15, 2017
    The cesspool of MD
    Great looking gun for its age, I hadnt realized 1911's had been around that long. Does 1911 stand for the year it was manufactured/available? Seems pretty state of the art for that time period. Is it likely this was gov or military issue? The hoop on the mag for a lanyard? Thanks for sharing!

Great looking gun for its age, I hadnt realized 1911's had been around that long. Does 1911 stand for the year it was manufactured/available? Seems pretty state of the art for that time period. Is it likely this was gov or military issue? The hoop on the mag for a lanyard? Thanks for sharing!

Lou would shake his head, turn around, and walk away.

Newbie, you need to do a little reading. Look up John Moses Browning and educate yourself.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I thought 1911 was something humans were born with and knew about instinctively.

Like the need for Food, Water, Air, Warmth, Etc.

We need a new poll: "How Old Were You When You Learned About 1911".

I knew about 1911 in the womb.

Between birth and 5 years old.

Between 6 and 11 years old.

Between 12 and 17 years old.

Between 18 and 23 years old.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lou would shake his head, turn around, and walk away.

Newbie, you need to do a little reading. Look up John Moses Browning and educate yourself.
    Can't fault someone for not knowing what they don't know. There are a lot of people who don't know many of the ins and outs that most of us just take for granted, such as the fact that the 30-06 spitzer cartridge was a modification of the 30-03, and the "06" is a designation for its adoption by the military in 1906.

The 1911 was actually designed a bit before 1911 - the 1911 designation comes from the fact that it was adopted for use by the Army in March of 1911 after a series of design trials that initially started in 1899, and were finalized in early 1911....but not everyone just knows that off of the top of their head. (and I'm sure if someone wanted to be picky, there are probably errors in what I just posted too, so there's that.)

That 1913 is a neat find. My oldest 1911 dates from late 1941.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a very collectible and valuable firearm in my safe, and honestly, although there is a certain cool factor to having it in my collection, I think I'd rather have functional guns that I can take out and use.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I thought 1911 was something humans were born with and knew about instinctively.

I knew about had a 1911 in the womb.

:cool:

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Nifty find! That's one to take care of.
    Most antiques and collectables have survived well with old fashioned grease and oil. I like Renaissance Wax because it protects against finger marks. If you've ever seen fingerprints etched into a shiny blue you'll see the value.
    Others will probably have pros and cons on wax and other methods.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for the pics, she's a beauty! You have to look at a lot of early Colt 1911s to find one with this much original finish. Couldn't have been cheap. Def. a keeper. Now it needs a nice, early holster to assemble a great rig!

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Thanks for the pics, she's a beauty! You have to look at a lot of early Colt 1911s to find one with this much original finish. Couldn't have been cheap. Def. a keeper. Now it needs a nice, early holster to assemble a great rig!

High praise from Mawkie - that tells you what you've got! Nice pistol.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis

Thanks for the observation. Questions always welcome. Everyone strats somewhere. Yes, it was introduced in 1911,athough there were preliminary models. The gov adopted it in 1911 and stepped up production in wwI. Seems like only 20k units made in the first 2 years. Some mods were commercial, serial no starts with a c; this one is army. In 1913 there were also navy and marine models, valuable. If i am correct, it underwent some design changes in 1924 and remined so until 1945. I was in the MPs in the lte 60s and the 45s had to be reworked wwII vintage. Loop on mag so the cavalry wouldn’t drop the mags and lose them and on the butt. Nice old gun, but unfortunatly barrel is not matching, but was priced accordingly.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Nifty find! That's one to take care of.
    Most antiques and collectables have survived well with old fashioned grease and oil. I like Renaissance Wax because it protects against finger marks. If you've ever seen fingerprints etched into a shiny blue you'll see the value.
    Others will probably have pros and cons on wax and other methods.
    I too have used the wax but not rennissance brand. I use it onlynthe colt black powder collectibles and saa collectibles. To the gent who said he has a valuable gun in the safe but prefers functional guns, my EDC is a G27 ( sometimes a shield) and still like the old guns of bygone eras. I appreciate the functionality of modern plastic, but love steel and wood. Same in rifles.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    My father currently has this beauty. Just like yours, if you took yours and scrubbed off all the finish and then dropped it a few times!:lol2: The person it came from is what makes it. Serial is 191xx, is yours close to this?

_339857.jpg

Last edited:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

I knew about 1911 in the womb.

All of the jarhead MP’s at the Naval bases we lived on or near when I was growing up had 1911’s locked and cocked.

From 6 on was when I noticed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom