• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mavourneen

Lover of Walthers
    Feb 7, 2013
    Silver Spring-ish
    I'm probably one of the only women who regularly carries a knife, in my left hand front pocket. I'm left handed. I have a great spring assist small knife for regular carry ( mainly utility) and then a larger version of the same knife for self defense when I go jogging in the park.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Guys what does " tip up" mean in carrying your knife and why is/could be a better way to carry.

when clipped in your pocket, tip up/hinge down, the clip is attatched at the heel of the knife, not at the pivot. It puts the blade aggainst the back of the pocket, and is a little safer so the blade is held closed. With some designs like Emersons, some Cold steel or Hest knives there is a hook that grabs the edge of your pocket to flip the blade open on the drawstroke, won't work if carried tip down. Tip up places the handle in your palm, and thumb to the side of the blade where an opening stud would be, and when using the blade the clip is at the heel of the handle, out of the way. There are downsides though for some. First is that the stud or even the blade tip can snag coming out, open and cut you. Pocket lint gets into the pivot and lock easier, and some deep carry designs can be tough to get a hold of, tip down you grab the pivot with your thumb and finger, rotate the handle to our palm, and open it. Tip up, you might end up having to grab the heel of the handle with your fingers, then choke up on the knife, which is awkward, although a short lanyard can help this.

Back to the OP, clipped in front pocket, I use my knife as a tool day in day out, if I didn't have anything better at hand, then I would use it defensively, but that is not my primary reason for carrying it. If I were to carry a knife for defense, it wouldn't be a folder, there would be more than one, and they would be in belt sheaths. Most instructors have their own techniques, and usually a decent reason for it, but sometimes their technique doesn't really fit your practical needs, or might be a little too much "worst case scenario".

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I carry my Dalton Battle Dragon in a nylon sheath with the velcro burned off the flap and magnets put in it's place.The sheath is long enough that the bottom extends into my back pocket.I keep the knife "fired" so when I pull it out it's already open.The blue knife is a Severtech.

Attachments

• 0119120353a (1).jpg
      0119120353a (1).jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 178
    • 0119120353.jpg
      0119120353.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 176

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I carry my Dalton Battle Dragon in a nylon sheath with the velcro burned off the flap and magnets put in it's place.The sheath is long enough that the bottom extends into my back pocket.I keep the knife "fired" so when I pull it out it's already open.The blue knife is a Severtech.

Pardon me for saying this, but I think I would just carry a fixed blade.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    KniFE? Like in "only one of them"?

First lesson I learned from a serious blade teacher was "always carry as many blades as you can find spots for."

Now, in the real world of following laws, going into places like schools and office buildings that don't allow weapons, that can get you into trouble, but I do just about always have at least two on me.

Plus a multitool if it's a "real work" day :cool:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

It's clipped to my right front pocket...

In plain sight but out of view...

Only the clip is showing...

I'm NEVER outside without it...

Marines don't make good victims...

bmelton

Jan 23, 2013
    I’m sure there is no perfect way to carry and be prepared for every situation and seeing the example played out in real time was more impactful for me to change.

Solution? Carry more knives. I figure two in the front, two in the back, one in a pocket, one in my boot ought to provide me the most options. ;-)

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I always carry my Spyderco Tenacious tip down because I like to have the thumb hole right on my thumb as soon as I pull it out. I've tried tip up but then I have to shimmy up the handle to get to the thumb hole. On my waved Spydies, though, I carry tip up because that's the only way the wave feature will work.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    i carry one clipped in my right pocket, one angled inside my waistband at about 1 o'clock, and a fixed blade on my belt at about 11 o'clock.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    For EDC - tip down in back right pocket (showing clip). As a spring-assist (Kershaw Blur), it's easier for me to flip it out with my thumb and then rotate the blade downwards into a fighting position (blade down, positioned outwards) with my knife-hand. I've found it to be generally unnoticeable (MD/DC metro) and easy to reach. The downside is that for self-defense purposes, an inexperienced person can lose control of the blade when they try to rotate it.

Backpacking - When I carry around a backpack for work/outdoors, I also carry a cheap (Kershaw Blitz) 1/2 serrated attached to an LED flashlight, a whistle, and some matches. Just another part of an EDC go-bag kit.

For Travel - I generally carry my knife in a horizontal belt-attached sheath, so that it is accessible from both hands in the case of an emergency (pop an air-bag, cut a seat-belt, break a window, etc) - use a Kershaw Blur serrated w/glass-breaker. The downside is that it is more obvious during interstate travel.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    To me, this completely depends on the knife, the purpose of the knife, and what pocket clip is on the knife. I carry my CRKs tip up with the blade positioned against the back far of my strong (right) side pocket with lanyard handing out. Other than CRKs, ZTs, Benchmades, and Spydercos, I really don't carry tip up after a bad experience with a Cold Steel Titanium Ti-Lite.

With a defensive folder, I may carry on a neck sheath. Something like the Cold Steel Spike, I may carry on a neck sheath or inside the belt sheath. One of the push daggers like the Benchmade CBK can be carried almost anywhere.

With all that said, I am far more competent with a hawkbill blade and I prefer it in most cases. With a waved Spyderco Civilian or waved Spyderco Matriarch, I carry them in a modified P'kal style tip up using a low-rise pocket clip, blade facing the opposite direction of my CRK, and knife positioned in the front-most area of my strong-side pocket. The purpose of this is on a waved draw that as soon as the knife opens, the hawkbill's tip is pointing on a 90 degree angle, which is directly towards an opponent and immediately places a barrier...and if one continues the momentum of the draw, they can peck at or slash at the torso, legs, or groin. Also because the tip is almost on a 90 degree angle, the actual draw can be made very close to the body without risking a cut to oneself giving it a little more protection...and if they try to intercept, bringing the blade spine to rest across your wrist will use the shape of the actual blade to cut them using nothing but their own momentum. If they try to grab the hand with the knife, they are going to be very unhappy. The visual presentation of this is also quite intimidating due to the knife's unusual profile, the teeth, the speed of the draw, and how as soon as the draw is complete that the blade is in an immediate position to do a lot of damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom