• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Could somebody explain to me how these new short shotguns like the mossberg shockwave or the nighthawk tomahawk are skirting the nfa laws for sbs? I’m a bit confused. I thought any shotgun with a barrel less than 18” was considered a sbs. Thanks

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Could somebody explain to me how these new short shotguns like the mossberg shockwave or the nighthawk tomahawk are skirting the nfa laws for sbs? I’m a bit confused. I thought any shotgun with a barrel less than 18” was considered a sbs. Thanks
    Classified as pistols. Need 77R and HQL to purchase. No stock, only brace or pistol grip.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Actually the 14.5" barrel Mossy and Remington Shotguns are classified simply as a "firearm" in Maryland--neither rifle nor pistol, and are legal because they meet overall length specifications.

So, classified as a firearm, they require an HQL, 77R paperwork and a 7-day wait to take possession.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Oh ok. So one couldn’t throw a pistol grip on his wing master and saw the barrel down, it has to be registered as a pistol at the time it’s manufactured?

Would these be on the md handgun roster?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Classified as "pistol" is a Maryland thing.

Under Federal law, they are considered an " Other " . The key factors are OAL greater than 26inches, and NOT fired from the shoulder. If they were under 26in , they would be an AOW ( with $5 Tax Stamp) . If designed to fire from the shoulder, they would be an SBS ( with $200 Tax Stamp) .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Oh ok. So one couldn’t throw a pistol grip on his wing master and saw the barrel down, it has to be registered as a pistol at the time it’s manufactured?

Would these be on the md handgun roster?

Yes, they are on the roster.

NO, you can NEVER replace the pistol grip or mess with the configuration. The Mossberg Shockwave version is 26.25 inches long with its' birdhead grip.

If you swap out the birdhead grip for the pistol grip, it becomes too short to meet the 26 inch overall length requirement for this category.

Go here, to read a lot of discussion about it:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=205790&highlight=mossberg+shockwave

There is one thing to consider: since the Shockwave configuration is done on a 77R, it must treated as a regulated firearm 24/7/365. That means Maryland transport rules apply. (You are good to good to go if you are transporting it to the range or a gunsmith, unless you don't possession a Maryland Wear & Carry permit.)

But if you swap out the shoulder stock with a birdhead grip on the standard Mossberg 500/590 Defensive Shotgun while retaining the 18.5 inch barrel, you shorten the Mossberg while keeping it a street legal long gun--meaning you can transport it unloaded in your vehicle 24/7 except for certain cities in Maryland like Rockville, etc. (need to look them up)

And while 4 inches longer than the Shockwave, the tradeoff is you gain more capacity for shells while loaded.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can even come up with a final result that is not a Md "handgun" that is closer to 26in OAL , but the details and sequencing most be closely followed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom