• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    If your Dad does a Gun Trust and your a Trustee on it and a beneficiary , as a Trustee you can have legal possession of it and it still belongs to your Father , so no transfer has taken place.
    That's how it was explained to me by my Lawyer when I gave my brother all my SBR's and can's rather then move them to MD. since I'm only here till the contract I'm working on ends .

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If your Dad does a Gun Trust and your a Trustee on it and a beneficiary , as a Trustee you can have legal possession of it and it still belongs to your Father , so no transfer has taken place.
    That's how it was explained to me by my Lawyer when I gave my brother all my SBR's and can's rather then move them to MD. since I'm only here till the contract I'm working on ends .

No, you can NOT do that. Aside from MSP's stance on gun trusts, that's not how trusts work.

If dad were to create a trust, he would be transferring ownership of the rifle to the trust. People don't own the property of a trust, the trust does. Since it is a now-banned rifle, he can NOT transfer ownership of it within Maryland. The Trust didn't possess it prior to 10/1/13, Dad did, so Dad can either keep it until he dies, or sell it outside of Maryland.

If you paid extra Form 4 taxes to transfer your NFA stuff to a Trust, they belong to the TRUST, not to you. That's why you had to pay the transfer taxes on them. Then your brother can become a trustee and use them.

The trouble with trying to do that in Maryland is that you can NOT transfer ownership of a now-banned rifle in Maryland except by inheritance upon death.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    These laws (FSA) are complex, and many aspects have yet to be tested and defined.
    I don’t think “ inheriitance” means by will. There is no reason why you can’t inherit by intestate succession...lack of a will.
    A fast read says that grandfathered guns are ok to possess by the person who possessed them at the time they became illegal if registered with MSP by that date ( as would have been required if you bought a regulated firearm in md) and the person was not prohibited from firearm possession. The kicker, however, 8s the prohibition on “ receiving”. Not tested, no cases? But lending one of these, even if possession is legal by dad, would seem to make the recipient a criminal. But you know what internet advice is worth. In other words, don’t rely on it.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My father purchased a HK93 semi auto back in 1984 or 83.
    He wants to transfer it to me.
    Under the new MD laws, since it is a banned firearm, can he transfer it to me now or do I have to inherit the HK via thru his will after he passes. (Which I hope is a long long time from now!)
    A couple dealers that I asked, really didn't know.

Is this in the NFA thread by mistake?

I ADVOCATE BREAKING NO LAWS

If this rifle is indeed semi-auto, it could have transferred face-to-face prior to 10/1/2013. I don't know how old you are Walt296

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Is this in the NFA thread by mistake?

If this rifle is indeed semi-auto, it could have transferred face-to-face prior to 10/1/2013. I don't know how old you are Walt296

No, it could not have, depending on timeframe.

The HK93 was a Regulated Firearm, so a face-to-face transfer would have been illegal from the implementation of the Regulated Fiream system and afterword. I'm trying to look up exactly when that was, but it was sometime in the 1988 - 1996 timeframe. I *think* it was in 1994.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom