• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    Ok, I'm expecting a flame thrower pointed right at me, but Trump and McConnell are making the smart political move here. They are moving the hot political spotlight from banning guns to keeping crazy people from getting guns. They are doing the 2A folks a great favor after these latest mass shootings. Any other position would seriously hurt both Trump and ALL the other Republicans running for reelection in 2020. Exactly what do you think would be happening right now if a Democrat was president and they had control of congress. We need to take the stupid stick out of our collective asses and get behind this with protection for due process.

The alternative is far, far worse.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I'll defer to Jefferson "Those who desire to give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Ok, I'm expecting a flame thrower pointed right at me, but Trump and McConnell are making the smart political move here. They are moving the hot political spotlight from banning guns to keeping crazy people from getting guns. They are doing the 2A folks a great favor after these latest mass shootings. Any other position would seriously hurt both Trump and ALL the other Republicans running for reelection in 2020. Exactly what do you think would be happening right now if a Democrat was president and they had control of congress. We need to take the stupid stick out of our collective asses and get behind this with protection for due process.

Oh, yeah. This time around we willing take red flag laws and/or UBC up the butt to shut up the grabbers. Then all they have to do is wait until the left orchestrates another mass shooting and they start screaming again that we have to "do something" and then we're on to the next step of infringements until we're facing outright banning and confiscation.

Great plan.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Oh, yeah. This time around we willing take red flag laws and/or UBC up the butt to shut up the grabbers. Then all they have to do is wait until the left orchestrates another mass shooting and they start screaming again that we have to "do something" and then we're on to the next step of infringements until we're facing outright banning and confiscation.

Great plan.

heck no, screw the gun grabbers and the horses their lily liberal asses ride in on.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I agree it won't stop mass shootings or shootings in general my thing is keeping firearms out of the hands of those who aren't legally able to purchase them and to punish those who purchase firearms for them.
    I also agree would be hard to enforce without gun registration which I have to do anyway as a prisoner of Washington DC who got paroled thanks to Heller vs DC.

Just curious, how old were you when you had your first beer? The age limit may have been an obstacle but, was it an effective deterrent?

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia

I disagree. If Trump goes through with this. Joe Biden will be our next President*. I'm not sure what you mean by "far worse". Going along with a fairy tale is not a winning strategy.

Precisely ZERO ignorants (undecided's are simply mushrooms) will be swayed. No leftists will switch sides. If Trump said he hates guns, they would probably join the NRA just to spite Trump. Of course a 2A swath of Trumps base will leave or sit out.

*It would be Joe because all of the crazy candidates are there to make him look moderate. If you think I'm crazy, look at all of the heat that AOC is taking off of Pelosi.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Everyone that's playing this game knows, the main goal is to disarm America. Every little bit "They" get is one step closer to the goal. Get a bump stock here, a high cap mag there, limit on amounts, laws saying who can play and who can't. It all adds up to a total ban on all guns. We are lucky right now to have a few good people slowing things down a bit. God help us if the dems get a hold in 2020. The real sad part is not one single law they pass is going to do any good whatsoever. Saving lives is so far down the list of results you can't even see it.

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    In the political world, absolutist lose absolutely. It's a smart compromise that doesn't affect anyone unless you are a mental case. It's going to happen so aim the hot breath at advocating for due process. Nobody will win an argument against due process and will protect our 2A right better in the long run. Tactical battle in a strategic campaign.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    McConnell is in a tough spot. He has several vulnerable senators in 2020 and many of them could face primary challenges. Several will face competitive general election challenges. He has to safeguard as many of those as he can. He dug in over the USSC vacancy against all reason and won. We'll see his plan for this but I have a begrudging respect for his abilities as Leader.

Trump will fold in a heartbeat if he thinks it's to his benefit. He may legitimately believe he risks alienating moderates who may otherwise vote for him no matter which way this goes. I don't see any evidence that he has any particular fidelity to the 2A so I can't count on his personal views to help out here.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    And enforcing the ones we have. Recall the 5-year mandatory one? The one that says there’s repercussions for lying on a 77-R? Etc, etc.

Enforcing laws is very much out of style. The preferred model now is a catch and release to make as many people as possible criminals, but not to actually hurt the feelings of the dangerous ones.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I don't believe in giving anything to the enemy. Black Flag, no quarter asked and none shall be given.

The “no quarter” flag was solid red. Black Flag is a hardcore punk band in which Henry Rollins was lead singer in the early 80s.

But I agree with your sentiment

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Every time we give up something, we're like the little frog being boiled to death!!!

Ya know, when I was a kid, the popular TV shows were, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy and
    others. My friends and I would play Cowboys and Indians...oops "Native Americans". We had peacemaker replicas, rifles, holsters,
    I even had a Wyatt Earp Buntline Special toy gun. Guess what...none of us turned into mass shooters. Why? Can you say family and family values.

And yes, there is mental illness and that needs to be seriously addressed.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Every time we give up something, we're like the little frog being boiled to death!!!

Ya know, when I was a kid, the popular TV shows were, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy and
    others. My friends and I would play Cowboys and Indians...oops "Native Americans". We had peacemaker replicas, rifles, holsters,
    I even had a Wyatt Earp Buntline Special toy gun. Guess what...none of us turned into mass shooters. Why? Can you say family and family values.

And yes, there is mental illness and that needs to be seriously addressed.

What he said!

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    The “no quarter” flag was solid red. Black Flag is a hardcore punk band in which Henry Rollins was lead singer in the early 80s.

But I agree with your sentiment

The Black Flag was flown by certain irregular Confederate Army units in the American Civil War of 1861-1865 to symbolize that they would neither give, nor accept quarter; symbolizing the opposite of the white flag of surrender.

I looked this up to see for sure and was surprised at all the different meanings and colors, including the ones you referred to.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'll defer to Jefferson "Those who desire to give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

If the Republicans cave and pass more gun control laws, they'll lose support of a good portion of their base and gain zero votes or support from the Democrat voters they are courting. I personally believe that many of the conservative voters would just sit out the next election and hunker down to await the utter disaster a Democrat-controlled Federal Government would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom