Apache 5800 Gun Case (Not a pelican knockoff)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    Picked up an Apache case from Harbor Freight this weekend for $67. My Amazon Basic two gun case was getting a little crowded I get 3 compact handguns in there with no spare mags, but with double that in my collect I wanted to find a nice place to store them and free up space in my safe. With the Apache case I have room for at least 8 handguns. I have more compact guns then full size so I made 2 full size slots (horizontally) and 5 compact (room for 6) slots (vertically). The vertical slots make room for more magazines. As you can see I still have more room on the left to add something else at a later date.

I know there are alot of folks out there that love Pelican, but for a water proof lockable hard case, with wheels for $67. I can't justify to my wallet buying a Pelican for $150.

What do think MSF?
    53e8e2824e78e3f927f744d7750c5d60.jpg
    aa875fb6dea2ed72dd25c64115f8a2df.jpg

Marc

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Get 3 or 4 cans of plastidip and soak that foam. It improves it a ton. Before I did mine just pulling guns out of the slots was enough to rip it.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Water Proof?

Did you fish the case out of the water after the accident? :rolleyes:

Looks like a nice buy!

Plastic coat sounds like a good idea, I'll have to give it a try.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    How much flex are in the sides? Pelicans are somewhat stiff, and not the thin style of "Walmart" cases. If this is slightly less than Pelicans, but more substantial than "Walmart" cases, it would be nice. It looks like it can take some rough handling.

Q

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    they are stout. Very little flex without a ton of force. Very nearly as nice as pelicans in my opinion. Certainly close enough that the extra cost of a pelican is not worth it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    How much flex are in the sides? Pelicans are somewhat stiff, and not the thin style of "Walmart" cases. If this is slightly less than Pelicans, but more substantial than "Walmart" cases, it would be nice. It looks like it can take some rough handling.

Q

Pretty much a "cheap" Chinese knock off that works. I do not know the longevity of the seals but the construction seems good but how many thermal cycles before the shell becomes brittle only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom