• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    i asked the same qeustion a few months ago and got a lot of the same responses. i looked into the reviews posted for the various companies and went with frontpoint. very easy to install, price of equipment is low, monthly is about the same as the rest. it can even be connected to wired home smoke alarms and other existing in place wired systems with a bridge (about $40).
    let me know if you have any questions, install shoudl take you about 45 minutes (seriously)

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The more I have researched, the more it seems that Simplisafe has been promising these sensors for a long time. It seems like it has been at least a year. Anyone have any hard numbers on exactly when they will be getting them?

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I have mostly wireless system installed by a local company called CRIMPCO. Have not had any problems and they are very clean when they install everything. Monitoring fees are about $30 a month. Hope that helps!

Thanks - just called them.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    OK.

I am leaning more and more towards safemart.

Simplisafe uses proprietary components and you are held hostage to them if they aren't available for purchase.

Frontpoint and safemart look to offer pretty comparible components. They are both offering GE and monitoring, but safemart is doing it cheaper.

Crimpco has yet to call me back so I have no idea what they offer.

ADT is expensive on equipment and monitoring.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Crimpco has yet to call me back so I have no idea what they offer.

Spoke to them this morning and they are not much different from ADT other than being a local company.

They priced out their system 2-3 more than simplisafe and their monitoring is 100% more expensive as well. To the best of my knowledge to determine this, the only difference seems to be that the keypads are wired.

Not sure the extra cost is warranted.

Vincent

Jul 5, 2012
    Towson
    Tony Lambros is my FFL in Bel Air. His primary business is an alarm company. He is very reasonable on the handgun transfer paperwork ($35) which he does on the side. I would give him a call re your security work. 410 879 0471

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I have had a wireless system at my home for the past 8 years. It is from Automated Protection Systems. 410-239-4644.

They installation was painless and they returned to add a few more sensors for us when we added an addition.

I want to say that the total cost for install was around $1500 and the monitoring is $200 a year.

The owners name is Mark and he is a retired Firefighter from Baltimore County.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Really, SimpliSafe is that recommended?

Why the surprise for a recommendation for Simplisafe? They appear to have a good track record (expect for delivering on the specialty monitoring devices), they are by far the cheapest across the board (especially when it comes to cell backup and monitoring).

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I like mine. I even had them rewrite some software for me for free over the phone, that I downloaded to my unit within ten minutes and had an option that I wanted. I know nothing about computers and downloads, they walked me through it on the phone.
    Only complaint I have is that the base station siren isn't extremely loud (definately loud enough to scare the bad guys), but they have extra load sirens available (at extra cost), and can even be mounted outdoors (under a porch roof or eve) to let the neighbors know what is going on if someone activates the alarm. Just an option that is worth considering.

Good to know. I sat down over the weekend and really priced out the alternatives to compare apples to apples as best I could. For equipment, ADT was > $3000, Crimpco was $2950, Safemart was ~ $2400 and Simplisafe was $1250.

For cell backup monitoring with no bells and whistles, ADT and Crimpco were $35+. Safemart was $20 and Simplisafe was $15. For speciality monitoring, Simplisafe maxxed out at $25 while Safemart quickly grew to the $40+ range where ADT and Crimpco started.

I put an order in for Simplisafe and hope to get it in the next few days. Will try to do the installation within a few days of receiving the items and will report back regarding the equipment and the installation.

If anyone has questions, please post here or send me a PM.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Well my Simplisafe order arrived today. Haven't really done much except inspect the package. Hope to install over the weekend - have friends coming over tonight and have a busy weekend planned so it might not happen until Sunday or later.

The components look exactly the same as what is online so no surprises there. As I read and install, will continue to provide updates.

If anyone has questions, please ask away.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have had it for about a yr. Once I had it up and running, it is rock solid. One sensor fell off the door and the monitoring kicked in as advertised (good test). If you slam your doors you might want to make sure you glue the sensors on the door or add additional adhesive. I think we have old dirty paint around the door so that is why it fell off.

I only had one single issue with it- For some reason our initial home base and keypad wouldn't communicate. We called them up, got the replacement within 3 days and haven't had an issue since.

So the reason why I recommend it is:

It was the cheapest we could find.
    You don't need a landline.
    Zero maintenance.
    I installed it myself in 10minutes.
    It works.
    When I move I take it with me.
    I can start and stop service anytime I want with no penalty fee.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Still loving my 2gig.com system.
    I signed up as a dealer.
    Wait for the new panel to be released in a few weeks.

PM me for monitoring nearly at my cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom