• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I would think if you join MSP a majority of your time will be spent writing speeding tickets. Boots on the ground, I guess, but probably pretty boring at times.

Depends, in places like Carroll county they are the police since there's no county police. The free car and gov gas don't make up for the low pay.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I've thought about working for an agency like that, but if at all possible I'd want to have boots on the ground, and I'm fairly certain if I got hired by them, it'd only be in the role of a programmer/analyst. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I want to wake up in the morning knowing there is a decent chance I'm gonna have to put my ass on the line.

I suggest..

www.navy.com
    www.goarmy.com
    www.marines.com
    www.gocoastguard.com

and I guess you can put your ass on the line from a desk too.....

www.airforce.com

dan

Jun 14, 2012
    Calvert
    Great info, but I think people may have missed the fact that I am a type one diabetic. Physically fit and everything, but no military service, and I have my doubts as to whether any of the federal agencies are any more forgiving.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Dan, in all honesty I went local and wouldn't change it for the world.

MSP is a good agency but as I stated before the pay just doesn't do it for me. Now I know they have good highway overtime but it's a much more strict agency than say my sloppy d.c.

I get to do a much more variety of investigations than MSP would and I do it on a regular basis. Plus I hate writing tickets and highway safety is a main staple of their job.

If you did the trooper route you'd be set up for retirement though. With all the accident investigations they do they can easily be classified as experts and make like 100k working for insurance companies as an investigator upon retirement.

dan

Jun 14, 2012
    Calvert
    mpdc4511

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't yet done a lot of research into what's out there. I've heard that my local department is fairly full, how did you go about choosing the organization your involved with?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    mpdc4511

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't yet done a lot of research into what's out there. I've heard that my local department is fairly full, how did you go about choosing the organization your involved with?

Well you find out what you want to do now and future and find a department that fits that.

Now I want to run and gun and catch criminals. (so I went to the hood)

Later I want a management position for when I have kids (so I came to a department that has good advancement opportunity)

I mean you have to think about what you really want to do while your the police and find a department that fits that.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    good question dan, I'm curious also about how to go about that.

imo MD is too expensive to easily live in at that salary point so I'm looking at other states like virginia / NC. where housing is more affordable.

other questions I have for officers on this board are more related to how the job affects your life, (and wife/kids if you have em). How happy you are with your work, sense of accomplishment, etc. those may be better handled in PM's or a BBQ though.

dan

Jun 14, 2012
    Calvert
    Yeah I'd be curious to know about that too. Unfortunately for me this whole discussion is moot if I can't find a department that doesn't consider my Type 1, as an immediate disqualification. I've tried emailing a number of departments to no avail. Maybe one of the officers on here can shed some light. fingers crossed.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah I'd be curious to know about that too. Unfortunately for me this whole discussion is moot if I can't find a department that doesn't consider my Type 1, as an immediate disqualification. I've tried emailing a number of departments to no avail. Maybe one of the officers on here can shed some light. fingers crossed.

Most larger agencies have recruiting offices/officers who can answer your specific questions over the phone. Unless time of day is an issue, I'd recommend calling them direct as opposed to email. (It's a good opportunity to get to know the department as well as some of the folks who work for them.)

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    College degree? Go federal.

Don't need a degree for a majority of POLICE jobs.

Either skip the degree (GASP!) or get it and go federal.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If you wanna do traffic all day everyday this is the job for you. For police work try a local department. Or out of state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom